Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my buddy borrow my 9mm Shield to go to the range to see if he liked it. It was perfectly clean when he took it. He said it worked flawlessly. He shot a few mags through it. I should have cleaned it when he brought it back but I didn't get around to it. Anyway, we were out goose hunting and another buddy asked if he could fire it. He was thinking about getting one. He shot one magazine and had two failure to ejects with it. I have had this gun for a couple of years with ZERO problems. I took it home and cleaned it but it wasn't that dirty. I'm not going to get to upset about it until I take it back out and put some rounds through it but I'm a little concerned. It's clean as a whistle now.

Reactions: Stevenson

·
Registered
982 Posts
mine has had some similar issues as well unless its clean.. has been pretty good overall, but not 100 percent reliable as far as i am concerned... bob

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Failure to ejects with my Shield are always wrist problem in shooters I have observed.
This is what I was hoping. I'll take it and shoot it again the next time I'm out hunting and see what happens. I know limp wristing is a big deal but I thought that was mostly 1911's. That's probably why I have had zero problems thus far and it has only happen with my buddy. He's an experienced shotgun shooter but has rarely shot rifles are handguns.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
This is what I was hoping. I'll take it and shoot it again the next time I'm out hunting and see what happens. I know limp wristing is a big deal but I thought that was mostly 1911's. That's probably why I have had zero problems thus far and it has only happen with my buddy. He's an experienced shotgun shooter but has rarely shot rifles are handguns.
Generally, the smaller the semi, the easier it is to experience that failure. Also, the more robust the recoil, the easier it is to experience problems.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Mike thanks for the knowledge. Its good to have you and OD around when these things are asked about.

·
Banned
5,140 Posts
Was it properly lubed?

Could the cold have affected the lube?

So many variables from limp wristing to ammo can account for pistol failures.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
M&P standard size 9mm pistol magazines tend to be sensitive to dirt and burnt powder soot to the point of causing failures to go into full battery. I have experience this a number of times with my M&P 9 Pro Series 4.25" barrel in the past. After around 500 to 600 rounds between cleanings is when I start to see this happen with that gun. With a clean magazine, that gun operates flawlessly. I suspect the cause of a higher degree of magazine fouling is due to a lighter return spring which allows the slide to begin its rearward travel sooner in the cycle, thus also allowing more powder residue to escape the barrel's breach while the barrel is canted.

I've never gone that many rounds between cleanings in any of my Shields to experience any problems so I can't say this is an issue with the Shield.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Goose hunting? Ambient temperature?

Cold reduces thermal reactions, and can make a functional round fail. Mrs2nd's Shield9 had that exact problem; had fired hundreds of rounds of (chosen) XTP115 with no glitch, until we went shooting one day when it was about 15 dF, and had 50% stovepipes. Switching right then to different ammo "fixed" the problem.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I had two Shields in 9mm, problems with both, first one would bulge cases it had a bad barrel. The second one would not always go into battery.
I like the grip and they both were accurate I just could not trust them for ccw.

I have moved away from single stack 9mm, I have tried many, Glock 43, Kahr CM9, PM9, XDS, Sig P938 and Ruger LC9 all were reliable out of the box.

My Glock 26 is just as easy to conceal and much easier to shoot well, extremely reliable and eats any ammo I have put through it including my reloads. I carry the 12 round magazine +1 in the chamber.

I also carry a snub nose either a Ruger LCR in 38 sp or a S&W 640 in 357. These have been reliable shoot accurate and I would trust them before I would a Single Stack 9mm.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I would first assume he limp wristed it. It can happen to any brand. I limp wristed my Glock 23 one time and had a failure to fully eject.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Let us know how it does when YOU shoot it again. I too suspect your buddy may have limp wristed it. Both my Shields have been 100% reliable, as has my wife's also!

·
Registered
14,264 Posts
I would put that one on the shooter without knowing his history. Shield in general are very reliable. Mine has been.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
My shield 45 has been flawless for 800 or so rds. 300 at one time without a hint of a puke. It likely won't see much more than that through a range session and it's a carry gun so it's always cleaned and lubed before carrying it.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
In a Guns and Ammo piece in 2015, they did a torture test with various single stack 9mm, including the Shield. The winner was...Walther PPS with over 1050 rounds of flawless performance without ever being cleaned or lubed throughout the test. the Shield did not make the 1000 round goal. I do not know how many rounds were fired from the Shield before failure. However, I suspect it was several hundred.

Reactions: AzQkr
1 - 16 of 16 Posts