Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wife is interested in EDC in here purse as it doesn't require a concealed weapons permit here in Montana.
I have a Taurus PT145 Millenium, (Non Pro) circa 2000, but she mentioned that it is heavy when loaded and one in the pipe. I am thinking maybe a 9MM for her, but I still fairly new to carrying and pistols in general, all my experience has been in rifles.

I would love to get her a Kimber, because of the awesome trigger, esp. compared to mine, but I am hoping for something that costs less.

Suggestions? She is pro 2A and I would feel more comfortable with her carrying when I am not around.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Glock-26...keep it simple and dependable!:yup:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
For carry in her purse I would suggest something in DAO for safety, Maybe Kahr PM9 or CW9, JMO.

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
My carry is a G26, but my wife won't let me take my purse with it!! :image035: With that being said, perhaps you and she would want to take a look at something like the Ruger LCP...Ennough punch for emergency protection, light enough for her to carry in her purse and not be inconvenienced by the weight of the weapon..JMHO

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
What retsupt99 said...:image035:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
My suggestion is to eliminate the obvious and then let her pick out the gun she wants to carry. Take her to a gun shop, preferably one that rents guns. Show her the difference between a revolver and an auto.

In some cases, it may be too difficult to manipulate an auto and a revolver might be a better choice.
If she can handle an auto I recommend a Glock 26 (stay within the 9mm category)

Revolver: any of the S&W or Ruger or even Taurus revolvers may work.

·
Registered
535 Posts
An all steel J frame Smith Wesson or Ruger .357 magnum would be my choice. Some women have trouble racking a semi auto slide. And there are lots and lots of choices in J frame holsters. The Ruger SP101 is serious self defense and Smith makes a bunch of nice J frames.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
For carry in her purse I would suggest something in DAO for safety, Maybe Kahr PM9 or CW9, JMO.
+1 on the DAO.
I can't say enough about the 9mm Sig P239 in DAK (Sig's DAO)

EVERY female I have let shoot it has the same reaction. First their eyes get all big, and then they go "ooooooh! I want one of THESE!" It's just an awesome gun.

And while I don't carry in my purse, I have stuck it in a few of my purses to see how it fit, and it fit really nicely. It's small enough for relatively easy concealment in the purse or under bulky clothes, but at the same time, it's light enough and has a perfect fit for feminine hands.

Take her to the Gun Store and have her bring her purse and "try" out several different ones.

And another +1 on having her shoot 9mm!

·
Registered
54 Posts
There is but one choice S&W 642.
+1. Just bought one for my wife a couple days ago for her birthday. She loves it! And I love it too! Got the model with the Crimson Trace laser on it. Well worth the extra money.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Hi,
My wife is interested in EDC in here purse as it doesn't require a concealed weapons permit here in Montana.
Not to get off topic but ...

If she plans to carry a Concealed Weapon in Montana, she needs a permit to do so legally. Montana Law

45-8-315. Definition. "Concealed weapon" means any weapon mentioned in 45-8-316 through 45-8-318 and 45-8-321 through 45-8-328 that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon, except that for purposes of 45-8-321 through 45-8-328, concealed weapon means a handgun or a knife with a blade 4 or more inches in length that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon.

Montana law prohibits people from carrying concealed weapons inside city, town or logging camp limits and also contains some limits on carrying concealed weapons outside of city limits. However, a person may carry concealed weapons in many instances if he or she has a valid Montana or out-of-state permit to do so.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Just some recommendations of some good reliable guns. Glock 26, Springfield XD9sc, Ruger SP-101, J-Frame S&W, Ruger LCP.

I have all of these except the J-frame and G-26, but I do own a Glock and all Glocks are work horses, consistent and won't let you down.

These are my preferences, however your wife has to be the final choice.

Good luck. Lots of "food for thought" and suggestions have been offered up. Try out several and have her take her pick.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A CZ PCR might fit the bill nicely. Its funny, but out of all of my guns my wife enjoys shooting my 1911 the most. I would agree with the previous posts though, keep it simple to start off with. The PCR has a decocker so it would eliminate C&L and she wouldn't have to worry about fooling with a safety.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glock 26. It WILL work when she pulls the trigger.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'll put a plug in for the M&P9c as this is what my wife carries. Great little gun with 12+1 of 9mm plus interchangeable backstraps so she can fit it to her hand perfectly. In all honesty, any of the ones listed will be more than sufficient...it just depends on which one feels right to her.

Completely off topic but I'm glad you changed your avatar UnklFungus. The other one you had was kinda freakin' out the Freakdaddy!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not to get off topic but ...

If she plans to carry a Concealed Weapon in Montana, she needs a permit to do so legally. Montana Law

45-8-315. Definition. "Concealed weapon" means any weapon mentioned in 45-8-316 through 45-8-318 and 45-8-321 through 45-8-328 that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon, except that for purposes of 45-8-321 through 45-8-328, concealed weapon means a handgun or a knife with a blade 4 or more inches in length that is wholly or partially covered by the clothing or wearing apparel of the person carrying or bearing the weapon.

Montana law prohibits people from carrying concealed weapons inside city, town or logging camp limits and also contains some limits on carrying concealed weapons outside of city limits. However, a person may carry concealed weapons in many instances if he or she has a valid Montana or out-of-state permit to do so.
Thanks for the info, but, I have researched this and Montana only considers covered or partially covered on the body, to be considered concealed. Therefor, briefcase, backpack purse etc are perfectly legal in all of Montana.

To wit:
There is some misinformation on the Montana DOJ Website you link to for Montana at:
http://doj.mt.gov/enforcement/concealedweapons.asp
Concealed Weapons - MT Dept of Justice
In its first paragraph, DOJ states the case to make Montana law sound much more restrictive than it really is.
In Montana, nobody needs a permit to carry concealed outside the limits of a city or town, which is 99.4% of
Montana. Inside city limits, a permit is required to legally carry concealed, but a permit is not required in
one's home or place of business. And, Montana recognizes permits from most (40) other states.
Further, the definition of "concealed" in Montana is not a dictionary definition, such as "hidden." Rather, the
definition is specific to Montana CCW law and is "wholly or partially covered by clothing or wearing
Handgunlaw.us 3
apparel."
Thus, in a vehicle glove box or under the seat is not considered "concealed" for the purposes of the
Montana CCW law, nor is inside a briefcase, backpack, or even in a woman's purse (no reliable definition for
a fannypack, but I'd argue that it's the same as a woman's purse - an accessory or luggage, not "clothing or
wearing apparel")

So, a person may have a firearm in the glove box of a car, even inside city limits in Montana, without a
permit.
I was also told this by the Sheriff himself of the county in which I got my CCW Permit.

I do appreciate your concern on this, as I really wouldn't want my wife to inadvertently break the law.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Unklfungus,

Again, with no intension's to hi-jack your thread. I have sent an email to the MT Attorney General's office asking for clarification of "wearing apparel". I teach firearms safety classes and this is information I have never heard of in MT. My students and peers would be anxious to hear the definition as well. The way I read the law, it's not legal but I am not an attorney. I would hate to see your wife violate an ambiguous writing of the law. I will let you know as soon as I get a response from the Attorney Generals office.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Check out the bersa .380 There's also a Firestorm .380 made by bersa... exact same game but has this nice hogue like rubber grip. My wife LOVEs her Firestorm. Small enough for her to carry on her in tighter clothes without anyone being the wiser. I even like it when I need something a bit smaller than my XD9. And if you're looking at purses be prepared to spend some big cash on purses made for carrying. But remember that many times thugs are going straight for a lady's purse... and then she has nothing.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Unklfungus,

The information you posted above in post #13 was taken from handgunlaw.us and according to the MT Attorney Generals office, is not correct. I will contact Gary Slider about it's accuracy.

I have recieved a reply from the attorney generals office. Your wife should have a valid ccw permit. I will PM you the conversation I had with the AG.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts