Defensive Carry banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
The red meat deal was a bit of an oddity. I have always been a fan of steaks, cheeseburgers, venison, etc. but spontaneously developed an aversion to it while we were in Israel. I've had one burger since we've been back, last summer when my son hosted a cook-out, and while I managed to get it down, it was a struggle.

Table salt was another oddity. I've always craved added salt to just about everything, and also developed an aversion to it all of a sudden. If I eat something salty now, it makes me extremely thirsty. I used to drink lots of no-cal Power-Ade in warm weather. Now it tastes almost like saltwater to me.

As soon as I got rid of fried foods (think KFC and country-fried steak, mostly), my heartburn vanished. I'll still eat french fries from City Barbeque occasionally without ill effects.
That's strange about the acquired aversions. I absolutely love seafood and would be very happy to eat fish two or three times a week (throwing in some shell fish ain't gonna hurt, either). Though my wife also enjoys seafood, she's not as big on it as I. We use the grill a lot. I go through around nine 20-pound tanks a year of propane. It's not unusual to use my grill for all three meals in a day. Grill cooked food has less fat since most of if drops away from the meat during cooking. When I cook sausage, it's not sitting its own grease in a fry pan. I have some great recipes for grilling fish and other items.

We don't eat much fried food since we don't own a deep fryer. The wife does saute some vegetables, chicken, and a few other things and we use olive oil for this. I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes five years ago. Actually my doctor knows I am pre-diabetic since my A1C has never exceeded 5.4. But I do watch my carbs based on a class I had and it' not a problem at all.

But I have to get my butt out and go back to exercising.

Reactions: Mike1956

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Outstanding, that is a great accomplishment and you should be very proud. The reason I say that is I did not have a weight problem but I went on a crash diet in 2003 and buy you working and staying on track you will be less likely to have that type of crash diet which was a massive heart attack. Mine was compliments of heart dieease passed down from my ancestors and a workaholic.

·
Premium Member
33,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's a pic I took yesterday, in my sporty new Bob Malone T-shirt. He's the best piano player I've ever seen in person. Yeah, there's a .45 S&W under the shirt.

DSC05335.JPG

·
Registered
392 Posts
Congrats I’m all your hard work. Not only did you loose weight, but it sounds like a change in life style too. I’m sure your enjoying the benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Mazel tov! That's outstanding Mike.

Not trying to gloat or anything, but dang, this is something.

As I've mentioned before, I've been focused on healthy eating and adequate exercise for awhile now. When we were in Israel not quite two years ago, I weighed in at a hefty 223 pounds. No, not hefty--fat, as in obese. Here, like this, trying as I might to suck that gut in:

View attachment 328976

Seeing that photo was the straw that broke the camel's back for me (see what I did there?)

Here is that same stomach, not so long ago:

View attachment 328978

Finally, yesterday's weigh-in, the first time I've seen that weight since 2003. For whatever reason, you will have to click the photo to get it right side up:

View attachment 328980

So, I've lost 43 pounds, about eight inches around my diaphragm, and four inches around my waist. My shirt size has gone from an 18-and-a-half-inch neck down to a sixteen.

I've taken the weight off at a rate of about 1.9 pounds per month since mid-July, 2018.

Here's how I did it:

I completely eliminated red meat, fried foods, snack foods and salty foods from my diet. I eat a 2000-calorie (not monitored closely)-a-day diet consisting of low calorie, filling foods
a) lots of chicken, turkey, fish, vegetables, fruit
b) I eat until I'm full but only twice each day
c) If I need an in-between snack, it is either no-fat cottage cheese with low-fat salad dressing, or cole slaw
d) Coffee, tea and water are the only liquids I consume

I exercise every day, regardless of weather--a mile-and-a-half walk each morning with wife and dog, and a 7 to 16 mile bicycle ride nearly every day. The exercise regimen was significantly less starting out, but I did it nonetheless. Distance, speed and endurance have increased very gradually.

I weigh myself every morning. I can have a three pound weight variation from day to day, but the weight has continued to work its way down steadily since the diet and exercise changes began.

I have gone from three different blood pressure medications twice a day down to one medication twice a day. The blood pressure decrease has been as gradual as the weight loss.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts