Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an incredible link with a lot of airframe pictures from the airshow. Also included are sub-links to a B-2 page with numerous shots of that airframe.

The USAF folks might find this "old-hat" or it might bring back fond memories, but I found it really interesting and fun.

Enjoy!

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Edwards2005/Highlights/index.html

:fahrzeug034: :fahrzeug034: :fahrzeug034:

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
Exellent pictures...

definatley worth a look !

That Chinook brought back some memories. I spent way too much time using them as a taxi...

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Richard - only been to the Andrews show but that was still good.

Some superb pics - oh my - the P51, the Sabre, and Phantom etc - I love the old as well as the new.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
The bombers always continue to amaze me!

Ti.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm retired AF, 21 yrs and 8 months....these pictures sure brought back a lot of memories, good and bad but mostly good. I served with units flying the F4, B52, A10 and finally the B2 and a lot of those heavy's, well I 've been a passenger in many of those, many times. War and military service is often the very best part of your life and the very worst at the same time and only another sergeant/officer, can understand that.

We don't pay our military enough. I'm glad they're getting a lot of praise and credit right now but believe me, it's not enough...

thanks for posting this.

God Bless
Gideon

·
Super Moderator
23,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gideon said:
We don't pay our military enough. I'm glad they're getting a lot of praise and credit right now but believe me, it's not enough...
HEAR HEAR!!!!!

I grew up in Kansas, back when SAC had bases all over. Watching B-52's fly over was always awsome. Later in life I watched KC135's and B-1B's in Wichita, then the AWACS from Tinker while in OKC.

I kind of miss those big mothers now!

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
An old Naval Aviator i know sent me this guy's site a couple years ago and I've had it bookmarked ever since. I think he's got some of the best aircraft pictures around.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Very cool pictures. I remember my grandparents taking me and my brother to an air show at McGuire AFB, NJ, when we were very young. We saw the Blue Angels.

I've always wanted to see a B-52 up close in person; grandpa told a bunch of stories about them when he was a navigator in one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Timely post. The Joint Forces Air Show at Andrews AFB is around this time of year. The last time I was there, they had a flying demonstration of an SR-71 (which dates me, I guess). An SR-71 flying low and slow is a strange sight, but when it reaches for space it is awesome. I was driving down I-81 in southwest VA, once, when I got buzzed by a Buff. I guess they were running a terrain following mission through the Appalachians and Piedmont. Scared the hell out of me. The noise was incredible and it was very close to the ground. The only time I've seen one to recognize in flight.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
Nice pics. We have a rather cool air museum here called the Valiant Air Command, and they do a nice airshow every year. Since the field is smaller, you can get pretty close to the action. Here is the Heritage Flight from that show:

F-104 low and fast:

F-16 Turnin' and Burnin':

B-25 on a single-engine flyby. The port-side prop (closest to the camera) is stopped and feathered:

Matt

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
Betty said:
I've always wanted to see a B-52 up close in person; grandpa told a bunch of stories about them when he was a navigator in one.
When I was on Okinawa a B-52 blew up at the end of the runway. It was taking off for a bomb run down to Vietnam. We lived close enough so that it defiantly got our attention. We fortunately didn't have any damage to the house.

The next morning when the fires were out and they sent both Air Force and Army (that would be me) EOD in to look for "surviving" explosives, there wasn't much left of that plane...... It was mostly small rivers of re-hardened aluminum. Still have pictures in a box someplace.

·
Super Moderator
25,535 Posts
Tom357 said:
Timely post. The Joint Forces Air Show at Andrews AFB is around this time of year.
I think it's usually the weekend closest to Armed Forces Day. Sometime in early June.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Matt - more very fine pics there - thx.

Rick - just curious - did that B-52 incident get explained? Was it over sensitive/faulty ordnance? What a catastrophe.

·
Super Moderator
23,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Matt - Nice pics! Thanks!

B-52's are awesome up close and personal - as are the monster transports (I used to get out to the end-of-the-earth - Altus OK where a bunch were based)

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Rock and Glock said:
B-52's are awesome up close and personal - as are the monster transports (I used to get out to the end-of-the-earth - Altus OK where a bunch were based)
As a kid, we lived under the flight pattern for Fairchild AFB. The KC-135s and B-52s would fly over the house and rattle the windows. Awesome planes. We spent a lot of time outside in the days before the airshows to watch the other aircraft we never got to see (C-5s, F-15s, etc) fly by on their way to the base.

Good times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts