Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much like Mrs. GT (who I chased until...she caught me) I knew my close friend had this knife for 30+ years. He's not a knife guy, a collector/investor nor a Delta Operator. It was a gift from his then girlfriend, now wife, during their courtship (re: my opening sentence). I had repeatedly tried to buy it, yet was always met with a polite decline. Until, that is, I obtained a guitar that he really, REALLY liked. :image035:

Long story (reasonably) short, the trade was made this week. Never sharpened, never carried, box & paperwork long disappeared :)aargh4:), leather sheath still factory para-wrapped, Model 4P (pakka wood
scales), made in Richmond Va before the company sold to Blackjack & moved to Effingham, IL. after John Ek's dirt nap.

Now comes the tough part. Do I keep it? Cuz' there are always (ALL WAYS) guns, knives & guitars that wanna' come home with me! :yup:

image.jpg

·
Super Moderator
16,760 Posts
Nice looking pig sticker. I would, nice lines to it and it had belonged to a friend.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks MSgt! Among battle-daggers, it's always been high on my list.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Thanks MSgt! Among battle-daggers, it's always been high on my list.
You should keep it and form a Kata around it. :image035:

What is the steel? I know this isn't BladeForums.com but I am curious.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What steel? That's a tough question. Post WWII, The Ek Company (pre-Blackjack/Effingham) was consistent about using high end, corrosion-resistant steels. While Sandvik steels are quoted in the period-correct literature, specifics are (as yet) undetermined. The brand (name, rights, designs) has since been sold to KaBar (after Blackjack/Effingham went belly-up) and some nice designs are back in modern production. I CAN tell you that I've never heard a complaint about a Richmond, VA built Ek.

Reactions: matthew03

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
What steel? That's a tough question. Post WWII, The Ek Company (pre-Blackjack/Effingham) was consistent about using high end, corrosion-resistant steels. While Sandvik steels are quoted in the period-correct literature, specifics are (as yet) undetermined. The brand (name, rights, designs) has since been sold to KaBar (after Blackjack/Effingham went belly-up) and some nice designs are back in modern production. I CAN tell you that I've never heard a complaint about a Richmond, VA built Ek.
So, apparently it's not marked. Got it.

·
Registered
515 Posts
That's a keeper for sure.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What was the guitar?
Ovation Celebrity Elite. It was my first try at the "round-backed wonder". This one had a nice tone & pro-setup action. Yet, IMHO, trying to keep an Ovation in my lap was like... wrestling a hyper-active sea turtle. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ovation Celebrity Elite. It was my first try at the "round-backed wonder". This one had a nice tone & pro-setup action. Yet, IMHO, trying to keep an Ovation in my lap was like... wrestling a hyper-active sea turtle. :biggrin2:
That's the perfect way to describe it. I've had a couple lower line ones, but I'm a Taylor guy these days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts