Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would appreciate your input on the care and maintenance of a pistol I have with an electroless finish. It's an early Kahr K9. How durable is nickel? Any concerns?

Thanks

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Electroless nickel finish. NP³. Care and maintenance in my opinion should be just like any other firearm you own. Other than that, some depends on the thickness of the finish. Personally, I'd stay away from concentrated ammonia for extended periods. Since the internet is one of my best resources, and I'm not a professional metallurgist, but I work around plating processes all the time. I'll leave you with this: Robar Black Oxide, e-Nickel & Chrome Sulfide Finishes

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RamRod. The link was most informative. I was concerned because I haven't seen nickel used very much. Stainless is far more common (other than blued) from what I see/read.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Thanks RamRod. The link was most informative. I was concerned because I haven't seen nickel used very much. Stainless is far more common (other than blued) from what I see/read.
Think nothing of it. I had a Colt Trooper Mk IV that was nickel plated in the late 90's. I sold it after five years in my hands. I would rather have the NP³ finish over any stainless, any day. I'm just more tactical now, and the shiny finishes don't appeal to me as they once had.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts