Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sister and I are discussing getting electronic ear plugs, looking for recommendations. What are you using? Rechargable or batt operated? I think ear plugs but are muffs a better choice?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
I use Cabelas brand and like them for shooting.

But i cant use them for hunting. I bought them for handgun hunting, but every time a chipmunk moved, it sounded like a T-Rex was coming thru the woods to get me.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Cabelas brand and like them for shooting.

But i cant use them for hunting. I bought them for handgun hunting, but every time a chipmunk moved, it sounded like a T-Rex was coming thru the woods to get me.
:rofl:

Reactions: Sister and ETXhiker

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Reactions: Sister and OD*

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
I use these, after many, many others over the years. The amplification is totally unreasonable, like @G-man* describes. They let me hear much better than normal, which is a great tactical benefit. You can use normal or rechargeable AAA batteries and they shut off automatically in case you forget to turn it off.

If you use rechargeable AAA or AA batteries, look for the Panasonic ENELOOP brand. They are far and away the best.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I use Pro Ears Pro Tac and like them for handgun, which have an NRR of 30. They use CR123 batteries, which is what my flashlights use so I have a lot. One downside is that because they aren’t low profile, they are not very good for rifle shooting.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I use Otis Ear Shield in 31DB NR version. No batteries. Allows hearing of low DB sound while blocking high DB sounds. Cost $20.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
I'm thinking about checking these out. Jump to about 2:30 to see where he switches from talking about muffs to plugs.

Reactions: Sister and CWOUSCG

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
I own some Howard Leight, and was issued Peltors. I like the peltors better.

·
Premium Member
6,724 Posts
I recommend the Peltors. I picked mine up at the NRA show a couple years ago. They work fine, and batteries are a snap to change.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use Otis Ear Shield in 31DB NR version. No batteries. Allows hearing of low DB sound while blocking high DB sounds. Cost $20.
No battery and cheap. I like! :yup:

I’ll check them out, thanks.

Reactions: Sister

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Otis ear shield looks like the hot lick for me too.

I generally use Howard Leight cans, full-sized ones rated at NRR of 30. They’re bulky but do a pretty good job. Kinda wish I’d bought the smaller ones also by Leight - they fold flat and, I suspect, may be more comfortable. I bought these instead for the high NRR and lower price. The few dollars weren’t worth it, the better noise reduction is.

When I’m shooting with no one else around I prefer using some Howard Leight Airsoft ribbed ear plugs. They fit well into small ear canals, NRR 27, and are comfortable enough for all day. When I stop shooting I pull one plug out so I can hear anyone approaching or hailing me.

Reactions: Sister

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
The problem with using only in the ear protection, whether plain or electronic, is that the small bones and the bone area immediately in back of your dar is not protected. Your hearing can be severely damaged over time if the area surrounding your actual ear is not protected.

I use electronic ear muffs - the highest noise reduction rating I can find that sill has enough volume to enable ME to hear when they are turned on. Most of the more expensive brands do not get anywhere near enough volume for me, even when turned to high. At indoor ranges I ALWAYS wear in the ear foam or baffled protectors with my electronic muffs on top.

This is the one that works best for me:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B006HYVR7S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
As stated in my product review, the smell was HORRIBLE for several months. I've had them for 2 years. They are OK now.

I had a pair of Pro Ears that I sent back because I could not get anywhere enough volume to hear range commands.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
@ShooterGranny,

Because hearing loss is a part of my life, I am compelled to offer a different opinion about hearing loss that that which you wrote in the above quote. I do not want others to make assumptions about hearing loss since there is volumes of clinical information about that subject. There is also much bad information about hearing loss on thee Internet.

I wear hearing aids in both ears. The hearing in my left ear is severely compromised and in my right ear is is moderately compromised. The right ear is due to age not injury. The left ear is due to conclusive injury from an artillery shell burst that cause immediate injury which resulted in decades long deterioration.

Due to my hearing loss I took great interest I the causes and treatments for it. I have never seen clinical e=writings that attribute hearing loss to bone conduction, which is what you are referring to. I just spent 30 minutes looking again in case something new had been published. There is nothing out there that I can fins to support your warning.

Bone conduction is used to treat hearing loss that is total or near total in either or both ears. By amplifying sound and sending to a receiver attached to the bone the sound vibrations are sensed by the brain but not through the normal hearing channel. Rush Limbaugh has a Choclear implant since he is almost totally deaf. If you watched him you would see a device near the bone you describe. It sends sound vibration through bone conduction, but it bypasses the normal hearing channel entirely.

The causes of hearing loss are well documented. I have linked to two such articles from highly authoritative sources. Neither lists bone conduction as a cause. If you have a clinical source for your opinion, please sent it to me. If I am wrong I want to know it.

There are numerous other reports that back up the two articles thatI have looked to.

From the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/congress/article236574323.htmlhttps://www.asha.org/public/hearing/Causes-of-Hearing-Loss-in-Adults/

From the Mayo Clinic

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hearing-loss/symptoms-causes/syc-20373072

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
....The causes of hearing loss are well documented. I have linked to two such articles from highly authoritative sources. Neither lists bone conduction as a cause. If you have a clinical source for your opinion, please sent it to me. If I am wrong I want to know it.
I think you may need to look over the scientific data some more. There are tiny bones in the inner ear that are involved in hearing and consequently, when damaged, can contribute to hearing loss.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/noise-induced-hearing-loss

Reactions: OD*

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
@ShooterGranny,

I have linked to two such articles from highly authoritative sources. Neither lists bone conduction as a cause. If you have a clinical source for your opinion, please sent it to me. If I am wrong I want to know it.
OK, thanks for the links. The first one did not work at all and the second one hopped from one picture to the next so fast that I had to keep clicking on the back arrow on the picture in order to read the words. The link from @OldChap worked and contained all the information in the other link, but in written format that could be read easily.

The second article does say "wear ear plugs or ear muffs" so obviously somewhere along the line I got some not-so-accurate information. Since I also wear hearing aids, I choose to cover all bases by using both ear plugs and ear muffs where there will be super loud noise, like at an indoor range.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts