Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a "Dear Virginia Tech friends and family" email from [email protected] telling me about how Va. Tech. is "inventing the future", and inviting me to look at their flash video at 2009 Message from President Charles Steger | Virginia Tech; here's the response I emailed back:
Is the University still maintaining a policy that prohibits properly qualified adult students, staff members, and professors from lawfully defending themselves against armed assailants? I take the position that if the University is requiring that persons legitimately on campus be defenseless, then the University has actively assumed an absolute duty to protect all such persons. Aside from the moral issue of causing the death and injury of defenseless people whom one has assumed a duty to protect, I observe that any negligent breach of that duty resulting in actual damages will, of course, be actionable.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good job. If any college wants my kid to attend, they will NOT have a draconian gun rule in effect.
We are going to have to hit them where it hurts, in the pocket book.

·
8,501 Posts
Good job. If any college wants my kid to attend, they will NOT have a draconian gun rule in effect.
What makes them different from any other gun free/defenseless victim zone college? Obviously they were the victim of an attack, but 90% of colleges and universities are no gun. Why single them out for protest? Why not KU,UNC,Duke,PSU...and on and on.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the president sent me the email. So I sent him one back.

What's funny is that there's a statute in Virginia that prevents any "locality" from enacting any rules or ordinances relating to the ownership, use, or possession of firearms. And all Va. agencies are included in the definition of "locality". Thus, it's actually illegal for a Virginia state college or university to have such rules. I'd say that turns it into "negligence per se."

·
Registered
180 Posts
As an alum I'd like to see VT take the lead on allowing CC permit holders to carry on campus whether it be student, teacher, or visitor. Of course that will never happen.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Good response. It's great to live in such a free state as Utah.

The U of U fought in court for several years to become a gun free zone. They lost and are required to allow both CC and OC on campus. Some violent crime still happens here, but our VC rates on campus are much lower than nearly all other Universities in the country.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
As an alum I'd like to see VT take the lead on allowing CC permit holders to carry on campus whether it be student, teacher, or visitor.
↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ :yup: ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑ ↑

Absolutely

BTW -- a minor point:

A visitor can carry -- CC or OC.

I do. I have carried at anti-RKBAs events and made sure the Campus LEOs knew. Never a hassle.

Albeit, there is a bad AG opinion the supports no carry at some events / in some situations, such as sports events.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
What makes them different from any other gun free/defenseless victim zone college? Obviously they were the victim of an attack, but 90% of colleges and universities are no gun. Why single them out for protest? Why not KU,UNC,Duke,PSU...and on and on.
Because most universities don't have a say in the matter where Virginia Tech does. Most states prohibit carry onto campuses. If memory serves, Virginia the state/commonwealth permits it and V-T the university does not.

-B

·
8,501 Posts
Well, the president sent me the email. So I sent him one back.

What's funny is that there's a statute in Virginia that prevents any "locality" from enacting any rules or ordinances relating to the ownership, use, or possession of firearms. And all Va. agencies are included in the definition of "locality". Thus, it's actually illegal for a Virginia state college or university to have such rules. I'd say that turns it into "negligence per se."
Sorry about the confusion. My comment was meant for the guy in post #2. He was takling about punishing VT with a boycott. I liked your email just fine.

Because most universities don't have a say in the matter where Virginia Tech does. Most states prohibit carry onto campuses. If memory serves, Virginia the state/commonwealth permits it and V-T the university does not.

-B
I didn't know that. Thank you, I understand now. :hand10:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Most states prohibit carry onto campuses. If memory serves, Virginia the state/commonwealth permits it and V-T the university does not.
-B
That is my understanding of Virginia law, which in effect gives local option to each university. Compare that to Texas where the legislature forbids concealed carry on all university campuses.

And I always thought that Texas was a pro gun state. Actually it is, except for these important absurd exceptions.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Is there a list somewhere of what universities/colleges do/don't allow cc or possesion of firearms by their students/staff? That would be something usefull as parents prepare their kids for what colleges to apply to.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
All (public) colleges/universities in Utah are required to allow carry by students/staff/visitors (who legally can). Only private colleges/universities can forbid carry (BYU forbids). Not sure if any others do, but I don't think so.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
The options as to what college they attend will be severely limited unless things change a lot, which I doubt.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is my understanding of Virginia law, which in effect gives local option to each university.
Actually, this isn't correct (at least my understanding and I am not a lawyer).. College carry is perfectly legal in every college in Virginia EXCEPT VCU, which is covered under VA Admin Code, not Criminal Code.. It is not "illegal" for ANYONE (student, teacher, or visitor) to carry on any other campus.. The problem is that Colleges in VA think they are "private" and thus can ban carry like a private business.. So they made a "rule" that their students/faculty can't carry.. So if they do, they will be expelled or fired.. As a visitor, you can do it and they can't do anything about it (I have done it MANY a time at UVA, but not at Tech)..

Now, with that being said, I wouldn't do it anyway if I was a student just based on the crazies in office right now.. With my luck, I would get kicked out of school, plus arrested and have to go to court, just to get let off.. I can't go through that right now.. :) someone else can be the test case.. Kindda like the church no carry without a "good and sufficient reason".. that is another one that ticks me off, but that is for another thread..

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
So they made a "rule" that their students/faculty can't carry.. So if they do, they will be expelled or fired.. As a visitor, you can do it and they can't do anything about it (I have done it MANY a time at UVA, but not at Tech)...
:yup:

FWIIW -- I have heard that a student/teacher/employee of UVa can carry at VT and a student/teacher/employee of VT can carry at UVa.

Wonder if there has ever been a test case.

Maybe it is time for someone to :stups:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't see why not.. They can only enforce their policy for those affiliated with their school and while on school policy (except for some of those stupid "ethics" rules which somehow follow you while you are employed or enrolled).. So a UVA student is a "visitor" when they go down to Blacksburg and vice versa.. If I attended college (oh, to be that young again), I would do it..

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I'm curious as to the crime statistics of campuses that allow CC or OC compared to those that don't, it was mentioned here that the crime rate is lower then most, gives me something to do tomorrow with looking that up, might be something worth sending to the President of that VA school once completed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts