Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious... I happen to have a waist with some rolls on the side. I usually carry a Richie OWB at 9 o'clock, but I must say my 1911 is tight as hell in my side. My Sparks VM2 is pretty comfortable around 7 o'clock. I'm guessing that an OWB is pretty much out of the question, given my waist build?

·
Administrator
144,858 Posts
OWB behind the hip should still be possible for you.
The loaded 1911 is a decently heavy firearm. Try the most stiff belt that you can buy. It will take the firearm weight better and you won't need to cinch your belt up so tight.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Look at this link. The Alien gear holster OWB sets away from the body, which may give you the fit you want.

·
Premium Member
39,193 Posts
Finding that sweet spot where the gun rides and hides comfortably takes a bit of trial and error experimentation.

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Have you tried putting on a pair of suspenders and letting your belt out a notch? Perry suspenders work well. When I use them they are worn under my untucked shirt and are not visible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you tried putting on a pair of suspenders and letting your belt out a notch? Perry suspenders work well. When I use them they are worn under my untucked shirt and are not visible.
I've heard people talking about suspenders, but haven't tried them. Worth a look.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OWB behind the hip should still be possible for you.
The loaded 1911 is a decently heavy firearm. Try the most stiff belt that you can buy. It will take the firearm weight better and you won't need to cinch your belt up so tight.
I haven't tried moving it back yet. The Ritchie has a slight Cant to it, the Sparks BN55 doesn't, so both are worth trying. The 5" 1911 is certainly hefty, but I have essential tremors, so a lighter gun won't work. Belt isn't an issue, I have a pretty decent one. With a dual mag pouch & gun it holds things pretty firm.

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
I never ben slender since high school ! I been heavier by today I'm 5-9 and 208 and wear a MTAC at 3:00 most time with a lw commander in 45acp on my side . If I'm out for long day I will add suspenders , Perry's 3 clip models for a 3:00 carry added to the mix as what I carry daily adds up to 4lbs of weight when my holster , handgun , 2 extra loaded 9 round mags a ZT0350 folder and a fenix pd-35 also rides along . If I swap to a m&p 2.0 compact and one extra 15 round mag I can leave the suspenders even for a long day and the difference is not that much but enough . I carry my commander with a kydex body for a older M&P 4.25" full size . The leather back half conforms well to different size pistols . MY belt is an old 25 year old JayPee 2 layer 1.5" that still stiffer some new higher priced belts today . This belts no longer made today but Beltman's belts are very good and maybe needed by some . I won't carry a 5" 1911 at all . To long and slow to clear a holster .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Look at this link. The Alien gear holster OWB sets away from the body, which may give you the fit you want.
Never had anything but leather, but this looks interesting, thank you.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
22,475 Posts
I carry a five-inch 1911 and a spare magazine on my belt. I tried IWB and all of the other holster styles. I always go back to a leather pancake style holster @ 3:00 with spare magazines @ 9:00 on my belt. The pancake style leather holster holds the gun closer than other styles.

Glove Wood Handgun holster Fashion accessory Hardwood

·
Registered
551 Posts
Never had anything but leather, but this looks interesting, thank you.
Your Welcome... I believe they have a full money back guarantee if not satisfied.. I have the full shape shift system and used it for years. I did change over to Vedder recently but not because anything agains Alien Gear.. The one I suggested hangs about an inch away from the paddle which works much better for us with a bit of fluff in the middle...

Reactions: IslayMalt

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a similar build and obviously losing some weight has helped me a lot. However I have a TT GunLeather Snap removable pancake that I requested be built to ride low with a 25 degree forward cant that works great for me. You’ll probably need to work with a custom maker who is willing to adjust their standard pattern to fit your build.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts