Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a once in every few yrs at best handgun buyer.
But I have been wanting a nicer 1911 than my STI Spartan.
For some reason I keep going back to this one.
Christmas is just around the corner so to speak and the wife is already on me about ideas.
I bet she wasn't speaking of that kind of price tag....But if I plant the seed now you never know.
Plus I have some cash rat holed so maybe it would be doable if she was just to slip some cash in a Merry Christmas
I love you card!!:D
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
G19.4 - P365 - TX-22 - G42 and more.
1,118 Posts
Pretty -- my next will be the PI9209L -- anyone else?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Christmas is just around the corner so to speak and the wife is already on me about ideas.
I bet she wasn't speaking of that kind of price tag....But if I plant the seed now you never know.
Plus I have some cash rat holed so maybe it would be doable if she was just to slip some cash in a Merry Christmas
View attachment 364064
Very nice!!!

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
That's a nice lookin' 1911, Cornhusker!
"I am a once in every few yrs at best handgun buyer." I hear ya! Us folks of limited means have to choose carefully.
I got my "nice" 1911 Commander a year and a half ago and am very happy with it. Boy, I won't be buying another $1200 gun anytime soon!

·
Registered
11,863 Posts
I haven't shot one, but I got to pick one up and see how it felt a couple of years ago. I thought it was pretty nice.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
View attachment 364064
I’m a huge fan of the bobtail 1911. I just haven’t gotten one yet myself.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I picked up a Springfield Range Officer Champion .45 this last winter. Cant ask for much more out of a 30 oz 4 in 1911 in its price range.

Good luck with your Christmas list.

·
Super Moderator
20,167 Posts
Here's my take on the 4", bobtailed EMP from 4 years ago - post #18

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have the exact pistol in the OP's pic. I'm on my church's safety team, and wanted a compact pistol that allowed for accurate fire at range greater than typical self defense range, in the unlikely event of a mass shooter across the auditorium.

First, the EMP has proven 100% reliable (to date) with a number of defensive loads, as well as any FMJ I've run through it. It's accuracy does vary with different ammo, as does the POI (naturally). Here's what I have found:

SInce my experience has been bullet weight affects accuracy more than any other single factor from a given firearm, I started with (relatively) affordable FMJ ammo. Once I determined the best bullet weight, I tried some defense loads. All shooting was at 25 yards on an indoor range.

115 grain FMJ was quite inaccurate, producing 7" - 8" groups, centered high right of POA.

124 grain FMJ grouped noticeably better; my best was 4 shots in 4", but a flyer stretched it to 6". The group was still to the right of POA, but elevation (still slightly high) was slightly closer to POA.

147 grain Speer G2 loads also prodeced a 4" group, but POI was as high above POA as the 115 gr FMJ. Go figure ...

Remington 124 grain Golden Sabre ammo produced a 4.25" group, very close to POA (centered only about an inch high and an inch to the right).

Windage correction would be an easy fix, due to the dovetailed sights. Elevation would require either a higher front sight or a lower rear sight, to drop the POI.

Again, no malfunctions were experienced, and the EMP is a very comfortable pistol to shoot.

Afterward, for fun, I took my SP101, loaded with the Federal 125 gr. SJHPs I normally carry, and fired a sub-4" group, perfectly centered (no surprise on the POI/POA, as I had worked to get the revolver zeroed with my carry load).

Conclusion: My EMP with Golden Sabers (yours may like something else) would suffice for my need. On the other hand, my SP101 was just as accurate, already zeroed, and is an old and trusted companion. I have not yet deployed the EMP.

Bottom line: The EMP seems an excellent choice, especially if you prefer a 1911-style pistol over a DAO revolver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bottom line: The EMP seems an excellent choice, especially if you prefer a 1911-style pistol over a DAO revolver.
The EMP also holds more rounds and is flatter, so it's easier to carry concealed; and it's easier to carry a reload for he EMP.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
View attachment 364064
You won't go wrong with an EMP. The first time I picked mine up and dry fired it, I thought "somebody finally got the micro 1911 right"...... A trip to the range after a small hiccup verified everything I suspected - That little gun shot circles around my wife's G43 and is superbly accurate and flawlessly reliable. Due to ammo shortages in the last year I haven't been able to cycle as many rounds as I would have liked, but nonetheless it is the perfect small 1911 for those who want to carry them. If you look at my avatar, that is mine, slightly customized.....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts