Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
From the article said:
After further investigation, the Major Crimes Unit of the Horry County Police Department learned the employee threatened his employer with a knife. "After retreating into the parking lot, the employer did warn the employee to not come any closer to him with the knife. When the employee continued towards the employer, he was shot," Lt. Kegler explains.
If as reported, that's pretty simple. Have a violent felon approach with a deadly weapon, erase the threat lawfully.

Unless they've got some proof he couldn't possibly have been engaging in self-defense, they're right to not press charges for what didn't occur, simply because he's the one left standing. Irrespective of the employer / soon-to-be former employee relationship.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I am curious about something.I wonder,did he have the gun on him,or,outside in vehicle?.What i'm getting at,he was an employer Longbeards Bar and Grill.I didn't think you could have a gun in a bar.Maybe,he is the owner,and can?I can't get my permit yet,but,don't hurt,to learn ccp laws early.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I am curious about something.I wonder,did he have the gun on him,or,outside in vehicle?.What i'm getting at,he was an employer Longbeards Bar and Grill.I didn't think you could have a gun in a bar.Maybe,he is the owner,and can?I can't get my permit yet,but,don't hurt,to learn ccp laws early.
SC COL 16-23-465 seems to disallow lawful carry at any place where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises, including restaurants that do so:

SECTION 16-23-465. Additional penalty for unlawfully carrying pistol or firearm onto premises of business selling alcoholic liquors, beers or wines for on-premises consumption.

In addition to the penalties provided for by Sections 16-11-330 and 16-23-460 and by Article 1 of Chapter 23 of Title 16, a person convicted of carrying a pistol or firearm into a business which sells alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine for consumption on the premises is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined not more than two thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.

In addition to the penalties described above, a person who violates this section while carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23, must have his concealed weapon permit revoked.

HISTORY: 1977 Act No. 45; 1993 Act No. 184, Section 190; 1996 Act No. 464, Section 5; 2002 Act No. 274, Section 2, eff May 28, 2002.​

Hm.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Obviously, this employee did not know the 'rule' about bringing a knife to a gunfight.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Not a smart career move even in a dead-end job.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I am curious about something.I wonder,did he have the gun on him,or,outside in vehicle?.
I'm more curious about this..
"... the employer did warn the employee to not come any closer to him with the knife.
Was the weapon drawn as the warning was issued?...or; did the employer issue the warning; wait for the approaching threat and then draw & fire?

This could change the dynamics somewhat.

·
Banned
1,774 Posts
I don't know about S.C. but in PA the owner of an establishment may have a gun for protection the same as for home protection, no permit is necessary in that instance. The fact that the shot was fired outside the establishment would indicate he had better have a CC license, and I suspect he did.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
If no charges filed against the employee does he get workmans comp?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Knife vs gun usually doesn't work well,smh.I'm guessing the employer is allowed to have a gun,or,i would think they could Brent.No,we can't have on in a bar.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I'm more curious about this..

Was the weapon drawn as the warning was issued?...or; did the employer issue the warning; wait for the approaching threat and then draw & fire?

This could change the dynamics somewhat.
How so? If the knife wielder is approaching with intent to cause bodily harm, a warning is a nicety on the shooters part. Defend yourself and survive first. If you are incline to offer a warning have time to do so safely that's fine. If not you stop the thread and warnings be damned.

Reactions: USM1976

·
Registered
101 Posts
How so? If the knife wielder is approaching with intent to cause bodily harm, a warning is a nicety on the shooters part. Defend yourself and survive first. If you are incline to offer a warning have time to do so safely that's fine. If not you stop the thread and warnings be damned.
So would you draw first? Or issue the warning before drawing?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I would draw first...in Texas there is no issue as to when you point the handgun...the man had a knife, a deadly weapon. I would not wait to determine the man's intention...seem very obvious he meant serious bodily injury or death.

The big difference here in Texas, at least Houston where I worked as an LEO, the man with the knife would have been charged with Aggravated Assault...he was the aggressor.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
If I felt my life was in danger, I would have drawn, depending on the proximity of the knife wielder I may have fired as soon as I drew my gun.

Remember, the reason we carry is for the preservation of our life. The idea of giving the aggressor a warning is great in the movies. In real life it may very well get you killed.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I don't get why the employee that was threatening people with a knife is not being charged with at least assault. Do they figure the gunshot was adequate punishment in this case?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts