Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up to help my elderly father in law with a minor parking lot accident yesterday. A state trooper was already on scene doing the paperwork. Dad indicated that he had a flat tire also. I wanted to introduce myself to the trooper and not surprise him with my presence.

I walked around the front of Dad's car and stopped a few feet from the troopers open window - the conversation went like this:

Me: Excuse me officer.
Trooper: Hi, what can I do for you?
Me: My name is ___, I am a CHP holder and I am armed.
Trooper: Oh, thanks for telling me that, I really appreciate it. (genuinely pleasant about it all)
Me: Ok with you if I get to work on this flat tire?
Trooper: Sure, I'll be done here in a minute.

After the paperwork was done, the trooper stepped out to speak with my father in law and me about the report. After that, the conversation continued.

Trooper: So, both of you guys carry, may I ask why?
Me: Did you notice where he lives when you looked up his DL?
Trooper: Yeah, I did. That's all the reason I would need to get a permit.
(We both live on a street that is a couple of blocks from a housing project where there is a lot of drug activity and associated violence.)

Trooper: We'll don't get me wrong, we troopers are all for it. Not all permit holders are good guys, but for the most part, you guys make our job easier. The only troopers who get itchy about concealed carry are rookies. They just don't have enough experience yet.

Me: Well, Dad is a 38 snubbie sort of guy, and I'm a 1911.
Trooper: Me too, I have to carry this Sig for work, but my off duty weapon is a Kimber Ultra Carry II.
Trooper: So, you are a lefty?
Me: How did you know?
Trooper: Well, you are protecting your strong side the way you are standing, your left hand never went in your pocket, but your right did.
Me: well, you got me.
Trooper: Well, you guys be careful. You strap on a lot of responsibility when you put on that weapon.
Me: Thanks for your perspective, it was fun to talk to you about it.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
That's the way it ought to be. Sounds like the trooper was very professional.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I never had a problem with the couple of officers that I encountered when I lived in Raleigh (all due to minor MVAs). I hope that this officer's attitude and professionalism is reflective of the collective LE culture.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Although it was not a 'stop', the trooper was a reasonable guy...:congrats::hand10:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Being somewhat new to CCW, I appreciate your story. Now that I've finally found a really comfortable holster, The Super Tuck, I'll probably be carrying most of the time.

You and your pops....have a Nice Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Sounds like a really good encounter..Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
862 Posts
thanks for sharing this positive leo experience it's great to know the good guys are still out there!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good read...I think you handled that like a "trooper" no pun intended...Shows your intentions are plain and simple "Protecting ones self"....

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I had a minor accident while OC and had no real issue. The trooper did disarm me for the duration of the report. He did not run any numbers and he put it in my truck, locked up. But we also set in his car and talked guns for a while at the end. The trooper at the DL check made sure the names were the same on my permit and DL then sent me on my way. I've had good experiences with them and other LEO's around the Hickory area. A Catawba county sheriff made this comment in Bible study the other day, "I have never had any issue with a CCP holder." Nice to hear. It's been pretty uneventful compared to some of the stories you hear.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You should contact the department and speak with the watch commander. This particular trooper deserves an "Atta boy."

·
Registered
30 Posts
No doubt you were in North Carolina. That is the way the North Carolina boys are brought up nice and respectful. Yes of course I am from North Carolina but know live in Florida. How sad

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
You should contact the department and speak with the watch commander. This particular trooper deserves an "Atta boy."
Or even better to write a letter. I've actually written letters of thanks to our local Sheriff for outstanding peformance by his deputies (due to my occupation, I bump into them frequently). He puts them in their service jacket for future reference.

When you think of all the grief and false accusations that many LEO's attract, a little well-deserved gratitude seems appropriate.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I was speeding and got stopped by a NC Trooper, showed my license and permit, went back to his car, came back again with a warning. Getting warnings from Highway Patrol is almost unheard of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Funny, I have gotten warnings many times (mostly before my CCW and some now after). Just be polite, don't try to BS, have a clean record and it never fails.

I have had a few experiences with NC police, most everyone was very positive. Most didn't seem to care about the CCW at all, but appreciated being told.

I did have one Durham Sheriff pull me over right next to where I work at 7:30AM because my registration was 25 days overdue....I was not carrying, as I cannot at work. The LEO asked me many times if I had any weapons on me or in the car (I was polite and said no every time). He came back to my car are told me no ticket, just get my car registered, then asked me to get out of the car and proceeded to ask me yet again if I had any weapons (again, said no). He then frisked me and looked throughout the interior of my car with his flashlight....

I thought that was completed inappropriate, especially right next to work where everyone could see me (everyone at work knows my car).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts