Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just did this morning. :frown:

I brought my Ruger LCP and rented a M92 Beretta. I dont know what was going on, but my hands were shaking so bad, I couldn't hit anything! I had to keep putting the pistols down, as my hands were shaking like a leaf. Would 2 cups of coffee do that? I stopped for breakfast first before the range opened, then went in after I ate.

Am I doing something wrong? I couldn't hit jack squat. Maybe I need to work on strengthening my hands and forearms or something?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It happens.

I've had a few days where it seems that no matter what I did, I couldn't get a tight group to save my life.

Usually, I end up going home early. No sense trying to engrain poor performance into my subconscious.

Just go back later and do better. :smile:

·
Banned
109 Posts
Ya as much as I hate to admit it, my last trip I squibbed one... I was not happy about having to drive the bullet out of my prized Kimber with a wood dowel...:embarassed::embarassed::embarassed:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did just a few weeks ago, but it was caused by the range personnel. At this particular range, they don't politely ask customers to correct a rule-breaking practice, they yell it like they're f****n' drill sergeants. No doubt I got a little carried away with my double-taps (I enter a zen-like mode when shooting), but the guys were total dicks and unprovoked. I won't be back to that range.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
A bad day at the range BEATS a good day at wook ; ) Hope you work things out H/D

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How do I deal with the hand shaking? It seems like I get that from time to time. I used to notice it after loading a lot of magazines by hand, but then got an UpLula loader which solved that. Do I need to do some weight training with my hands, or am I gripping too hard?

Could it be what I had just eaten/drank? I had 2 cups of coffee and french toast with syrup just before going to the range. Maybe it was all that caffeine and sugar!

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Looking at your other posts, Seems like you did ok before. You might want to get a check up at the Dr.'s Like/Blood preasure,suger,ect. Stay safe & well H/D ; )

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
EW3, I would suggest going to a massage technician, and a doctor. One of the two might be able to help. I actually have a lot of nerve damage in my hands and arms that causes me to shake like that. One trick is pull your arms in tighter, it forces the arms to be a little more steady, but it wont completely get rid of the problem.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
There's no such thing as a "bad day" at the range, just some that are better than others. That being said, some days your body deals better with the caffeine in your system, or lack of eating or many other variables. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes a constant thing, then I would seek medical advise. It could be a bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Over the years I've had a few really bad days. I end that shooting session quickly when it happens since I know it is not a "normal" day.

I've also had a few spectacular days. I usually end early that day for the same reason. Wouldn't want to bruise my ego the next time I shoot and can't repeat the spectacular day.

·
Banned
1,890 Posts
I used to tig weld for a living and i found that some days i had no business picking up a torch. Those were the same days i had no business picking up a pistol.

Some days you win, some days the targets win.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Oh yeah, I don't shoot at a range but at a friend's farm just down the road from my house or my brother's place 15 minutes away, but sure I've set everything up and just done lousy. I usually just pack up and leave.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have had bad days due to caffeine. I used to shoot 3-D archery shoots and was sponsored in the semi-pro division. If I drank too much coffee and had nothing to eat, my arms shook so bad I could barely hit the target. I always needed something to eat before having my morning coffee. I dont normally get the shakes so bad that it affects my handgun shooting as much as archery. Maybe next time, try 1 cup of coffee with an english muffin (or toast) before you shoot.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
A couple. Few years ago, shooting 00 off a bench with a stock that was too small. Result: shooting glasses into cheek bone - 3 stiches.
Today: gripped a Beretta Tomcat too high. Result: 3 stitches in thumb, a tetanus/dip shot and a whole lot of grief from co-workers which won't end anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I had a bad day here and there, mostly due to a very sensetive left elbow, and ulnar nerve surgery. Some days it gets bad enough a sleeve touching my skin will set off the tension in my left arm. Depending on my mood and how much it effects my shooting, I either save the ammo for another day, or if I'm shooting well I stay at it and pay for it later.
For the life of me I don't understand why hubby says I'm stubborn:blink:

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yeah, worst range day ever was when my buddy had his Glock kaboom on him. Thanks to the safe design of the Glock, all of the explosion went out the mag well and my friend suffered only a small cut. But I have to tell you that standing 8 feet from that was a little unnerving.

I'd say those shaky days at the range are a good indication of what it might be like to shoot under stress. I find that if I just breathe, get into my muscle memory, and chill out, it helps.
I would also recommend doing some dry firing before live firing.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Yup... Not often but it does happen. Once I had a friend of mine drop one of my pistols, not once, but twice!

I can not post here what I wanted to do! If he wasn't as close to me as a brother, he'd be an ex-friend. As it is, we don't shoot much together anymore.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'd say those shaky days at the range are a good indication of what it might be like to shoot under stress. I find that if I just breathe, get into my muscle memory, and chill out, it helps.
I was at my indoor range yesterday and the guy in the lane next to me was shooting a huge .50 cannon that shook the whole building! My ears were ringing because I didn't bring any foam protection to use under my muffs. Then a smoke detector right above my lane started blaring flashing lights most likely from the .50. No problem I understand... right?

I'm shooting ok with a couple fliers that kind of ticked me off. I turn around to walk to the bench for a fresh target and mr .50 is on his hands and knees in my lane looking for his brass and I almost fall over him :aargh4: I send the new target down range and by now I'm a little aggravated. I start doing fast double taps change mag and back to double tap head shots. That target was by far the best I had shot all week! Go figure :dunno:

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I find Im having a bad day shooting it is usually related to not breathing properly. Hands shaking is usually breath control or just plain handling the gun more often IMO!

·
Super Moderator
25,561 Posts
Shot 5 days a week when I was on an Army pistol team, and call it a bad day or an off day... A better question might be, who has NEVER had an off day? :image035:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts