Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now, and it's freaking scary. Around 5 Saturday afternoon I was sitting in my stand in the woods about 16' off the ground. I wanted to try and record the hunt, so I was messing with my camera settings when I heard a ziiiip and BOOM! It was surreal, I could hear the bullet and the leaves/ limbs it was hitting. It was close enough that the camera captured the sound of the bullet, and the audio pickup on this camera is not very good.

I got my stuff together and got down and went home. Best I can tell is that it was a guy that hunts an adjacent property that has a stand through the woods on the other side of a field about 500 yards away. I heard his 4 wheeler about 15 minutes prior as he headed to the stand. All i can figure is that he was on the ground at the base of his stand and a deer came out toward the middle of the field, which has a slightly higher elevation, and he shot at it and missed and the bullet had an upward trajectory. Either that or it was a Negligent Discharge or maybe a ricochet. Scary either way as it had to go through more than 200 yards of solid woods to get to me, but it did. I'm definitely going to have a word with this guy, and let him know what happened.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
The last time I ever went deer hunting. I was walking toward my camp when it happened. I stumbled over a root, and fell. Some guy, who was not supposed to be on the property, saw movement in the woods and fired blindly. I heard the bullet whine over my head, hitting branches as it passed. I decided to just lay there, put my orange hat on the end of my barrel, and wave it in the air.

No one ever approached, so I waited quite some time, and then returned to my camp. It was later, during a visit to the farmer's house, I learned my friend and I were the only people authorized to be on the property. There is an army base across the creek from this farmer's property, and we used to hear multiple M16 fire every morning.

While the farmer didn't actually suggest taking action, he did tell us he had some run-ins with the Army a few times and that we needed to protect ourselves. He also said the local sheriff was not too fond of the number of complaints about the activities of some of the soldiers as they related to local landowners.

It seemed that some soldiers had difficulty telling the difference between deer and cattle.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yes once when I was kid in PA. Some local wing nut hung a target in an apple tree which was part of an old overgrown orchard from who knows how far back. My buddy and I were coming down the ridge, thru the woods that surrounded the orchard on three sides. The Crack, zip zing of rifle fire and the bullet whizzing by were almost as one. We hit the ground fast. Watching Vic Morrow on the 'Combat' TV series of the time really paid off, ha ha. With the second shot we started low crawling perpendicular to the line of fire, we hoped, yelling as loud as we could. We then heard a car door slam and a car speeding off down the country road. We never knew who it was but we did find two shiny brass 30.30 shell cases on the road where he was shooting.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Buckshot yes. Bullet, hopefully never. That's fricken scary. Glad you're safe kazaroflashkick. Vic Morrow (Sgt. Saunders) was so cool in Combat. Loved that show!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes . Been told you never hear the one that kills you . Got no fact check on that one .
Unless it's subsonic but generally yes it's lights out before you hear it. Luckily most aren't very good shots so you get a few warnings before that one.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
16,785 Posts
I have now, and it's freaking scary. Around 5 Saturday afternoon I was sitting in my stand in the woods about 16' off the ground. I wanted to try and record the hunt, so I was messing with my camera settings when I heard a ziiiip and BOOM! It was surreal, I could hear the bullet and the leaves/ limbs it was hitting. It was close enough that the camera captured the sound of the bullet, and the audio pickup on this camera is not very good.

I got my stuff together and got down and went home. Best I can tell is that it was a guy that hunts an adjacent property that has a stand through the woods on the other side of a field about 500 yards away. I heard his 4 wheeler about 15 minutes prior as he headed to the stand. All i can figure is that he was on the ground at the base of his stand and a deer came out toward the middle of the field, which has a slightly higher elevation, and he shot at it and missed and the bullet had an upward trajectory. Either that or it was a Negligent Discharge or maybe a ricochet. Scary either way as it had to go through more than 200 yards of solid woods to get to me, but it did. I'm definitely going to have a word with this guy, and let him know what happened.
Ask the men who was over in the sandbox with the sand monkeys. Even the men who were in Nam playing with the weedmonkeys. We call them the angry bees that buss by you. It's attention getter!

·
Super Moderator
17,985 Posts
Well there was that trip to a little country half way around the world but that was a whole different situation.

Not quite that dramatic but when I was into shooting High Power Match; shooters were divided into two volleys. While the first volley was on the firing line the second volley went downrange into the target pits. After each course of fire we pulled the targets down and marked them, I never imagined how loud a 30/06 or .308 going overhead could be.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Upland bird hunting with my cousin, a bird came up and went my way. I was just getting ready to squeeze my trigger when there was an enormous blast and I felt heat across my neck. He had swung on the bird and came way too close to separating my head from my shoulders. Needless to say I never went bird hunting with him again. Not sure I actually heard any "pellets" though.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have had them pass pretty close...kind of an uneasy feeling.

Reactions: patri0t

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
A few times, it builds character for sure. The worst was also deer hunting. A hunter and were unknowingly walking towards each other in a thicket. At less than 25 yds 3 deer ran past me close enough I thought they'd run over me. As that happened he fired 5 rds fast at them. I hit the deck behind a tree and yelled.. Hey you dumb blankity, blank... Ever since I always carry a tourniquet and couple pressure bandages.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
97 Posts
I Love The Smell Of Lead In The Morning, It Smells like------------------- Holy Crap That was Close. See Ya.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Ask the men who was over in the sandbox with the sand monkeys. Even the men who were in Nam playing with the weedmonkeys. We call them the angry bees that buss by you. It's attention getter!
With ya', been there and done that in '68.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Just the ones on the infiltration course in basic training. M60 machine guns firing about 6 feet over our heads. At least that's what the drill sergeants told us. At night, with tracers. Gets the heart rate up for sure.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I used to go to a county owned outdoor range in Vancouver/Camas WA called the English Pit. It used to be a gravel pit. It had a pistol range next to a .22lr rifle range, then a regular rifle range. I was down at the .22lr rifle range and we'd called a cease fire to go get our targets. The guys shooting at the pistol range were shooting new derringers they'd just bought and the shots must've been going wild because I almost caught 2 of them while walking back to the bench rest. I hit the deck which caused the range master to call for a cease fire on all ranges. Not a fun experience.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Had a 105mm tank main gun round go about 4 or 5 feet over my head on a training range at Fort Polk back in '85. CALFEX training, an Alabama NG tanker mistook my FIST track for one of the pop-up targets. Fortunately, he indexed HEAT and fired sabot ;-) Sounds about like a bolt of lightning going by; and definitely different from small arms fire ...

1 - 20 of 73 Posts