Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday after picking up a few items at Lowe's I removed my high noon hidden alley holster with my XD 9 service and laid it on the passenger seat.
This due to it is not that comfortable for driving. As it was near lunch time and my stomach was calling I went through a fast food drive thru. When I reached the window to pay the girl at the window ( 20s) reached out to take the money gasps and leaves About a minute later the manager comes to the window completes the order. He laughs and said the sight of the gun in a holster on the seat frighten "Cindy"
I never realized just the sigh of a gun in a holster even could upset someone.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I wish people would learn to take things in context. Are you just ordering a Big Mac with that gun holstered beside you, or are you pointing the gun at her saying, "give me da money, ho." :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm with Betty!

How does she react when she walks by a cop? Oh, that's OK I'll bet.

I saw this with a former neighbor. One day I was talking to him and mentioned that I had guns and he bristled. Later in the conversation I also mentioned that I was LE and he relaxed and said that my ownership of guns was now OK!! [Yes, he actually said that!]

So let's see, in a matter of a few minutes I went from being a "nut with guns" to a "good guy with guns"! What changed? I certainly didn't change in that time frame!

Oh yeah, this guy had at least a Masters in Social Work, was about 35 yo, had two young children (both born while he lived here), he is a psychologist working for the state. He had "zero personality", never even thanked another neighbor who was ~65 yo and voluntarily shoveled his driveway a number of times. We weren't sorry to see him move!

Those with granola for brains are just plain hopeless and not worth our time.

·
Administrator
143,575 Posts
in pgh.

lots of people have never even seen one unless it had a uniform and a badge attached to it and it was in a policemans holster.

it's true.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
While leagal; to to so in my state, I still see the need to keep the weapon out of sight. Suprise being better on my side if I ever need to use my gun.

·
Banned
693 Posts
Heck, I've been surprised by a gun.

I was standing in line for some bike parts at Bob Barr Kawasaki in Madison, Wisconsin and I started to yammer with the guy next to me. We discussed the weather, girls and finally guns. For some reason, we discussed my SW 59 and the good luck I was having with, contrary to the bad press it was getting.

Suddenly, he says, "I'm having good luck with mine," and pushes back his coat to show a 59 in what appeared to be a "Three Persons" holster.

That took me by surprise.

Then he tags on, "Oh, I'm a cop--did I mention that?"

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I'm with country85 on this one. I personally resent the idea that in my state or any other state it's formally required to carry concealed. That is the symptom of a society gone insane.

Concealment should be an option not something that's forced. If I want to walk around toting a 12 gauge shotgun on my back and a pair of Colt SAAs on my hips that should be my call and no one else's so long as I'm not doing it for any illicit purpose.

The problem isn't with the holster or anything like that, the problem here is that people have been conditioned by society to be afraid of an inanimate object which honestly cannot hurt them assuming it's properly constructed, even if it's got some mechanical problems a gun is very rarely a hazard to its user or any bystander.

I bet you $10 I could go right now and walk around the mall in Austin toting a golf club. I might get some funny looks but no one would panic. But they should panic. I might knock someone's teeth out with that golf club, or it might fly out of my hands and suddenly start braining people. A golf club is a horrible dangerous piece of death incarnate and I have no business with one.

That's what's wrong with our society, we've gotten the idea that there's something illegitimate, suspicious, or otherwise wrong about an individual choosing to assert their God given right and carry a personal arm. When I am king people will wag around their guns like they do their cell phones.

·
Registered
4 Posts
had a similar experience

When I drive up north, I also set my piece in the front seat next to me also. It's more accessable and comfortable during a 4+ hour drive.

I did a drive-thru fast food joint at some point, ordered and realized by the look, they saw it next to me. There was no manager, just a wide eyed look by a teenager as he gave me my food.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I recently finished my masters degree. One day before class I had traffic court, and I got done with court just in time to make it to class; so, I went to class in uniform. The girl in front of me freaked about my gun and I was in uniform. I was very amused. I had sat behind her all semester long with a gun that she never saw. :)

·
Administrator
143,575 Posts
CombatEffective

That's amazing. :biggrin:
haha Oh No!... :eek: HELP!...That Police Officer is wearing a GUN!!
Somebody...Dial 911 ~ Call The Police! :rofl:

Madam,...I AM the Police.:wink:

"oh...ok."

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
When I was working my way through college (University of Alabama) back in the late 1970's, I was an armed guard at a local hospital. I carried my own S&W M19 .357 magnum (4" bbl.) at first in a hip holster (strong side) and nobody minded but it was heavy and uncomfortable, so I got my bosses permission and switched to a SafariLand Shoulder Holster rig and the whole hospital went so nutz that I was transferred out to an asphalt plant. That was okay, it was far enough out in the woods that I coulkd hunt on company land when my shift was over. But the hospital folks didn't even want ME back with the old hip holster. Personally I think it was because I'd gotten a minor rep with the nurses......and the Docs were jealous.....

But while I was there, Coach Bear Bryant fell and broke his hip and he had replacement surgery. Some NUT called in a death threat and it was my pleasure to get pulled off regular duties to stand guard at his hospital door. He was a chain smoker and he was also on pure oxygen. He and the chief nurse used to have these DONNYBROOK fights about that, but the nurse always WON. Anyway, I got to guard a football legend. That was pretty cool.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
The wife of a friend would leave the room if a gun was present. I asked her about it, and she couldn't articulate why, but the sight of a gun just wigged her out.

My former rifle range chairman's wife would get physically ill at the sight of a gun. He worked on her long enough that she actually was shooting a gun at one point. Still not enthusiastic about it though.

So there are folks out there who will freak out at the sight of a gun. I work with a guy who runs screaming like a little girl at the sight of a snake, including fake ones. So who knows.

-Scott-

·
Registered
615 Posts
Although my sister (a very liberal Democrat....I still her though) is comfortable with my guns...she'll handle them and comment on them.....her daughter goes beserk at the sight of one....she's a real left wing liberal Demo. I don't "expose" my new toys around her anymore! :tongue:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yes, I've terrified many a college student here.

I go out with friends to a local bar and open carry. I know management, so no problem there. I have at most two beers over the course of the night, and expect to field dozens of questions about said firearms.

It's not half-jokingly referred to as Second Amendment Education night.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
I get alot of comments when we are out shooting on public land with friends. We tend to have lots of hardware, mostly black rifles and such. Never really saw anyone scared of em though. Of course up here the opener of deer hunting is a day off for school kids too.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Before it became legal to carry, I always had a handgun in my vehicle. A co-worker that lived close by wanted to carpool with me (always my car) to "save gas". After a couple of miserable weeks being trapped in the car with him and his Old Spice it all came to a wonderful halt. One morning we were nearly to our work place and I opened the console of my truck for something ,and he saw the handgun. He turned white. "What is that !!!" It's a gun, dummy. He explained that a gun was a tool of the devil, and I was one of his diciples for owning one. I got off at the next exit, turned around and drove him all the way back home. He never spoke to me again. TEARS.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts