Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thread title says it. I spent quite a long time this morning looking for .380 and 9mm ammo on line. The problem is actually not that there is NO ammo at all. The problem is that what little bit of ammo is available in those two calibers is either prohibitively expensive or has steel cases and is too filthy to use on any kind of regular basis that would make it possible for a new shooter to really learn to shoot.

So when the politicians declare that they don't want to take away your guns, look for the rest of the sentence which seems to be "you just won't be able to get any ammunition for them." A $500 or $600 metal paperweight is not very good for SD.

Gramps has a friend who is willing to make him more 9mm, and this fellow is very reliable and experienced. That will help for a while. I'm here with my dwindling supply of .380 and at this point not wanting to spend well over 40 cents a round, but knowing that I might have to do that.

Glad I have .22lr guns for range practice! I do still have a decent supply of .22lr. So far anyway, but that doesn't last very long either when you use it regularly.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
15,798 Posts
I have handguns in twelve calibers and rifles in seven calibers with a good stock of ammo. I can usually find some ammo in one of my calibers to buy at a good price even today.

That is my excuse and I am sticking with it. I am an accumulator, not a collector.

·
Premium Member
3,959 Posts
It is cutting down on my range time as I am afraid to dwindle my supply of ammo without being able to replenish it.
Even though I really have quite a bit in stock, but with times the way they are I am being very protective of my supply.
I think I am finally going to think real hard about reloading, not to save money as I don't think that would be the case for me.
But just to have another source if need arises.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Our weapons are likely to starve if we have nothing stockpiled - every dealer is out of lots of stuff! I stopped by the local Pawn Shop/Gun Store this morning just for the heck of it. Probably 5 or 6 out of 8 display positions for guns are empty. AR's particularly are just gone. Guy at the shop says if its got a price and goes bang it's selling.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
When times are good, buy cheap and stack it deep.

I have sympathy for gun owners and people who train and shoot regularly and are just trying to replenish their stockpile, but not much for people who are just getting into guns now.

Like it really took a global pandemic and race wars for you to be interested in arming up?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Just wait until election season gets closer it's only going to get worse. Probably wont see "normal" until sometime next year and depending how the elections go maybe not even then. Me, I'm restocking primers, powders and bullets never a bullet shortage at my house.

·
Registered
34,607 Posts
Have reloading press, will travel! Wire SF.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Just wait until election season gets closer it's only going to get worse. Probably wont see "normal" until sometime next year and depending how the elections go maybe not even then. Me, I'm restocking primers, powders and bullets never a bullet shortage at my house.
Me as well. I am so glad that Dad did what he could to foster and further my interest in handloading.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I keep a pretty deep stock on hand of several things. But I also reload as a backup. If the elections go for the Dems, shortages will likely become of long duration - reloading components included. Guns without ammo produce about the same result as no guns at all.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Reloading supplies are getting a bit tight now too. Have to hunt a little but you can find components.

I'd kill for some HS-6! :LOL:

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
I’ve stopped practicing with some calibers. Simply can’t replace the ammo at this time.
fearful that the 9mm maybe needed in the very near future.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
It is getting hard to find. I've managed to purchase in lots of 500-1,000 rounds here and there. The prices are going up, but it has curtailed some of my normal practice sessions.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I dunno, I just ordered a bunch of defensive ammo this week from Lucky Gunner and the tracking number says it is on its way. It is all Speer JHPs, in .45, .38 +P and .380. It was not a bargain, but it was not a gouge either. There were limited choices in those calibers, but Speer is good ammo. The only thing I couldn't find was 12 ga. buckshot, but fortunately I have plenty of that.

I see it as like the TP shortages. You have to look harder, pay a little more than you might have, not get your favorite brand and be a little patient for availability, but you can get what you need.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
ShooterGranny, Check LuckyGunner everyday. They get ammo in daily and the online inventory is real time. It comes in, it goes out. Out of curiosity I’ve been tracking them for the past ...4 days maybe, on x39 ammo, and it moves in and out at a surprising rate of speed.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts