Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new pellet gun came in today. It's an Airforce Talon SS in .22. I still need to play with it, check velocities at the various settings and see which one is my gun's sweet spot for effectiveness, accuracy and shots per filling, but there's a Walking Dead marathon going on :rolleyes:
It took me three shots to get it close enough for government work at 10 yds. At least I know I'll hit where I'm aiming if the red squirrels start taking advantage of this nice weather we're having again.

My RWS 34 just became expendable :yup:

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Nice pickup, if that's not a dedicated air rifle scope on that, you may end up breaking it. In researching on the air rifle forums, it was said over and over, buy a dedicated air rifle scope or you'll run into the scope you use breaking.

Well, I knew better than that, put a standard Bushnell 4x12 on it. I just got another one delivered this week NIB from Bushnell under warranty. I didn't tell them how it broke or what gun it was on :redface:

I'm sure you know all this though from past experience with air rifles.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Nice pickup, if that's not a dedicated air rifle scope on that, you may end up breaking it. In researching on the air rifle forums, it was said over and over, buy a dedicated air rifle scope or you'll run into the scope you use breaking.

Well, I knew better than that, put a standard Bushnell 4x12 on it. I just got another one delivered this week NIB from Bushnell under warranty. I didn't tell them how it broke or what gun it was on :redface:

I'm sure you know all this though from past experience with air rifles.
Is that an issue only with springers due to their harsh release? Does that apply pcp guns as well?

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Is that an issue only with springers due to their harsh release? Does that apply pcp guns as well?
Good question, it's the double recoiling an air rifle produces that junks regular scopes which are built to take recoil in one direction, not two like the air rifles.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Just springers. PCPs don't have the reverse-recoil that springers do.
Thank you for that information. I'm dumping the springer and going the way of PA in the future.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, just springers like said. Thanks for the heads up though, Brownie. No sense anyone ruining a good scope and it never hurts to mention it when you see a pellet gun with a scope on it.
Hawke is a pretty popular scope for airgunners, but can also be used on a regular rifle, too. Even the lens caps are metal. It's HD. And as far as I'm concerned expensive for an airgun, but worth it. The large wheel is nice when adjusting objective/focus. I'll have to figure out the dots, as with the extra height of the scope over the bore, like an AR, there's a trajectory POI difference even from 10 yds to 15. Right now my porch is covered for the winter, but once I take the plastic down I'll get some set distances from my sun room to the pine tree, black walnut tree, fire pit... known hot spots :biggrin2:

If you haven't looked up the gun yet, this only has a 12" barrel. Amazing. You can buy different barrels for it not only for length (which drastically increases velocity in airguns), but also change calibers.

I've got around 50 pellets through it now, topping it off when I drop about 700 psi. I've got it dialed in on power setting 9 and am getting around 790 psi and sending them into one hole at 20 yds. That's with the forearm resting on my deck rail. Usually when I'm dinging red squirrels I'm standing with the gun resting on the top half of my window, so it's a similar hold.

Like any airgun, the more you shoot it the more it breaks in and I think it's just finding it's stride.
It would be nice if it was a repeater, but after cocking a springer for so long it like heaven just opening the breech, which also cocks it, and slipping a pellet into the barrel.

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
Thank you for that information. I'm dumping the springer and going the way of PA in the future.
Drop by Airguns of Arizona (on Elliot in Chandler, opposite Orbital Sciences) and talk to those guys for some advice and to see what the market offers. If you catch Larry (on the road sales guy), he's retired LE and you can swap stories.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
I've got their site bookmarked, and need to get over there one of these days.

Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
18,788 Posts
That's different. Better'n an evil black rifle as red is my favorite color.

It's nice to read about it here. Might be good fun in my back yard.

Reactions: Sister and PAcanis

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Sweet squirrel tagger and bagger. Nice info......you need to get a sales commission. Post us some youtube vids if you can.

·
Registered
6,395 Posts
That's different. Better'n an evil black rifle as red is my favorite color.

It's nice to read about it here. Might be good fun in my back yard.
Red is my fav too! CWO got me a Ruger red metal .22 pistol for Christmas I still got to shoot. OP love that gun, Red is the new Black!

Red guns matter!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Dang that thing looks sweet. I'm sure it cost more than a few guns in my safe :smile:

Reactions: PAcanis

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
How many full-power shots do you get before you have to charge it? Do you have an air compressor (that will fill such a tank) or a manual pump?

Reactions: PAcanis
1 - 20 of 23 Posts