Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go to a local hospital office to sign some papers this morning . 7 miles from home , covered with 'gun buster signs' and lousy with security cameras . Poor parking lot to divest my self of a light cover shirt and shoulder holster carried 1911 in a pickup with untinted windows . No problem ; wrapped my edc rig in the cover shirt and stored it in the pickup within arm's reach and headed out .
>First stop was the local , rural convience store for gas . Card reader wouldn't accept my card . No problem . Pumped my gas and pulled to the front of the store to go in and pay . (I'm well known there and this is SOP for them for known patrons .) Locket the truck and edc and went in . Couple of folks in line so I walked to the back of the store and got a cold drink . Standing in an isle 4 steps from the register , just as it got to be my turn , an irate stranger stormed in the entrance complaining loudly that the 'blankety-blank pump reader would not accept his business credit card . Calm efforts by 2 clerks to explain the problem just insensced him more . He heaped vile personal epithets on them and they calmly , but firmly instructed him to leave immediately .
>Instead , he shoved racks of impulse items off the counter toward them and reached over the counter to grab one of the clerks .
>That's where he dropped his candy in the dirt . That clerk dropped him like a dirty diaper with a Taser , clerk#2 retreated with a cell phone speed dialing 911 , and clerk #3 came around the counter with a .357 mag to keep him on the floor for the cops .
>I was 2 steps behind him when this started armed with a heavy walking cane which I am adept at using and was prepared to use in defense of my friends . Never the less , I would have been
more comfortable with my edc which was locked in my truck a few steps past him or 200' out the back door escape and back to my locked truck to retrieve it had he been armed .
>Probably the only time I have ever walked in there unarmed . Will never happen again ..............
>Clerks told me to go on to town and pay for my gas on the way back .
>When I got back he was in jail , his car towed away , and my cold drink was free for being ready to help .

·
Registered
417 Posts
You sure you don't live in Atlanta? I'm pretty weary of gas stations, something strange is always going down. Don't think I would get involved in that situation around here though, if bad goes worse and he gets dropped I certainly don't wanna be the one on the trigger that has to explain it to the police.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You did the right thing. Sometimes one has to remember that de-escalation should be the first tactic, if at all possible. But it's good to know those clerks were ready for anything and sounds like they may have had some measure of training or at least a coordinated plan for things like that. I always feel naked when I have to leave my rig in the vehicle, especially in the global social climate we live in today.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You sure you don't live in Atlanta? I'm pretty weary of gas stations, something strange is always going down. Don't think I would get involved in that situation around here though, if bad goes worse and he gets dropped I certainly don't wanna be the one on the trigger that has to explain it to the police.
These are friends and neighbors in a rural setting . They know I always have their back and they have mine .
>In a different environment I would have gone to a different store when the card reader failed .
>My point was that the 7-8 minute lapse in my carry habits could have had very negative consequences had the situation gone further south . Mr. Murphy lurks in the shadows waiting to make fools of us .

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yep,,until we all get trained in foretelling the future we can never let our guard down. That's Mr. Murphy's mo. He pops up when we least expect him to and we are least prepared. I try and avoid convenience store gas stations when I can, especially at night. I wouldn't want to be a clerk in one of those stores either. That guy isn't going to spend any time in jail and now you have to worry he doesn't show up a little more armed and looking for revenge .

·
Registered
417 Posts
These are friends and neighbors in a rural setting . They know I always have their back and they have mine .
>In a different environment I would have gone to a different store when the card reader failed .
>My point was that the 7-8 minute lapse in my carry habits could have had very negative consequences had the situation gone further south . Mr. Murphy lurks in the shadows waiting to make fools of us .
I wasn't doubting your judgment or anything. For friends I'd always have their back. Just relating it to my home ground is all.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Had to go to a local hospital office to sign some papers this morning . 7 miles from home , covered with 'gun buster signs' and lousy with security cameras . Poor parking lot to divest my self of a light cover shirt and shoulder holster carried 1911 in a pickup with untinted windows . No problem ; wrapped my edc rig in the cover shirt and stored it in the pickup within arm's reach and headed out .
>First stop was the local , rural convience store for gas . Card reader wouldn't accept my card . No problem . Pumped my gas and pulled to the front of the store to go in and pay . (I'm well known there and this is SOP for them for known patrons .) Locket the truck and edc and went in . Couple of folks in line so I walked to the back of the store and got a cold drink . Standing in an isle 4 steps from the register , just as it got to be my turn , an irate stranger stormed in the entrance complaining loudly that the 'blankety-blank pump reader would not accept his business credit card . Calm efforts by 2 clerks to explain the problem just insensced him more . He heaped vile personal epithets on them and they calmly , but firmly instructed him to leave immediately .
>Instead , he shoved racks of impulse items off the counter toward them and reached over the counter to grab one of the clerks .
>That's where he dropped his candy in the dirt . That clerk dropped him like a dirty diaper with a Taser , clerk#2 retreated with a cell phone speed dialing 911 , and clerk #3 came around the counter with a .357 mag to keep him on the floor for the cops .
>I was 2 steps behind him when this started armed with a heavy walking cane which I am adept at using and was prepared to use in defense of my friends . Never the less , I would have been
more comfortable with my edc which was locked in my truck a few steps past him or 200' out the back door escape and back to my locked truck to retrieve it had he been armed .
>Probably the only time I have ever walked in there unarmed . Will never happen again ..............
>Clerks told me to go on to town and pay for my gas on the way back .
>When I got back he was in jail , his car towed away , and my cold drink was free for being ready to help .
Ah, yes...

Another story with a happy ending.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep,,until we all get trained in foretelling the future we can never let our guard down. That's Mr. Murphy's mo. He pops up when we least expect him to and we are least prepared. I try and avoid convenience store gas stations when I can, especially at night. I wouldn't want to be a clerk in one of those stores either. That guy isn't going to spend any time in jail and now you have to worry he doesn't show up a little more armed and looking for revenge .
I got a freebe the 1 time I walked in there unarmed . I had no direct involvement in the fray . There will never be a second time . Next time I will unstrap in a remote section of the WallyWorld lot 1 mile from the hospital . Him coming back there could be hazardous to his health .

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The counter help is outstanding!!!!!
They are . And by the same token , all three of those gals are just plain , ordinary folk like me . We all grew up enduring coal camp rivalries , school consolidations and forced integration before we became adults .
Not exactly the kind of folks you pick on for fun .

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Why disarm before you get to the hospital? In your example of disarming at the Walmart 1 mile away, what if someone tries to car jack you or someone with road rage runs you off the road etc... When I go to visit someone in the hospital I remove my gun only after I have parked and am about to get out to go inside.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
Yep Atlanta gas stations and convenience stores are often scenes of interesting situations. Some funny and entertaining others more serious.

I always "gun up" when I go in one. If I am just pumping gas and don't go inside then my EDC is on the drivers seat within easy reach.

I keep a close watch on my surroundings when visiting these establishments. Just a way of life in Atlanta.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why disarm before you get to the hospital? In your example of disarming at the Walmart 1 mile away, what if someone tries to car jack you or someone with road rage runs you off the road etc... When I go to visit someone in the hospital I remove my gun only after I have parked and am about to get out to go inside.
When I'm in or beside the vehicle my pistol remains within arm's reach . Disarming in the hospital parking lot risks exposure to many prying eyes and survielence cameras .
Concealed carry is just that . No one needs to know .

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
When I'm in or beside the vehicle my pistol remains within arm's reach . Disarming in the hospital parking lot risks exposure to many prying eyes and survielence cameras .
Concealed carry is just that . No one needs to know .
Someone can still easily see you stuff something under your seat. When I remove my gun while still in my car nobody would be able to tell what I'm doing unless they are standing right next to the car.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Good for the clerks. Criminals and idiots are weak at heart, they don't know what to do when they encounter people who fight back.

Reactions: Chicagobill

·
Registered
306 Posts
They are . And by the same token , all three of those gals are just plain , ordinary folk like me . We all grew up enduring coal camp rivalries , school consolidations and forced integration before we became adults .
Not exactly the kind of folks you pick on for fun .
So, all of these clerks are chicks? Awesome.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Twelve years ago my family and I walked into a Taco Bell as some drunk ******* was trashing it. The manager asked him to put his shirt on and the ******* started trashing the place. He walked around to the customers and threw their food on the floor and stomped on it and threw drinks and napkins around. His friends were trying to convince him to leave before the cops got there.

They finally walked out when they heard the sirens approaching and the drunk was the one who got behind the wheel of a pickup.

It wouldn't have been a valid scenario for using a firearm, but I surely would have beat the hell out of him if he had tried to include me or my family in his tantrum.

·
Banned
894 Posts
He was not disarmed. A cane can be an effective weapon.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts