Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew the anti-gun laws in New Jersey were draconian but mere possession can get you 3 years in prison, seems a bit excessive to me.

Exclusive: Decorated Marine fighting for his freedom after mandatory gun sentence

NEW YORK --
In an Eyewitness News exclusive, a Marine veteran is fighting for his freedom after his arrest on gun charges.

Even though the firearm was legal, it wasn't registered in New Jersey. Now he's asking the governor to step in.

To combat gang violence, New Jersey lawmakers several years ago tacked on mandatory sentences for gun-related offenses.

No longer do you have to be in the process of committing a crime with a gun to end up behind bars, simply possessing an un-permitted gun in the state can make you a felon and a prisoner, even if you're like decorated Marine Sergeant Pompey.
Exclusive: Decorated Marine fighting for his freedom after mandatory gun sentence | abc11.com

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
"Six years ago during a visit to New Jersey, then Sgt. Pompey was at a Fort Lee nightclub when his friend got involved in a fight and grabbed Pompey's gun out of his holster and carried it into a confrontation with police."

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, regardless of locale.

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
......Felon.....how about just the possession of HP ammo.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Should have beat the crap outta' his "friend". Secured the handgun (deep) into his vehicle. Told his GF to calm-down & behave herself. Then shut-up, left the scene & gone BACK to Virginia...post haste. :yup:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As a former Marine I sympathize with his predicament but as a former Police Officer I must agree that he knowingly brought his handgun into a state where it wasn't legally registered. Draconian or not, If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
So what happened to the "friend" who grabbed his gun? Serving time already?

·
Registered
134 Posts
So, he allowed his friend to access a firearm he was carrying, so the friend could, according to that article, carry it into a confrontation with the police(?), all while he was knowingly carrying a firearm in a nightclub, I'm guessing while drinking, while knowingly carrying a firearm in a state where it's a serious crime to do so...

I mean, wow. That's stupid compounded by stupid. He sprinted past 'go to jail stupid' way back yonder and kept going.

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
As a former Marine I sympathize with his predicament but as a former Police Officer I must agree that he knowing brought his handgun into a state where it wasn't legally registered. Draconian or not, If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Simply bringing it into the state, I have much empathy. Carrying it concealed in that state, going into a bar with a belligerent friend who knew he had it, and then allowing that friend to take the gun on his way to confront the police, we have arrived at the point of the three stupids.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I think there are two issues here need to be restated:

1) This is hardly the first incident where NJ gun laws have trapped otherwise law abiding citizens. Seems to me I remember the governor being pushed into pardoning a woman from PA, if I remember right. This was bad law, before this particular case ever came up.

2) Not all law-abiding citizens know to check gun laws when entering NJ, even to just drive through. I think the NTSB should require NJ to post it's draconian gun law requirements on large signs at every possible entrance into the state. Their laws have been compared to requiring those who enter NJ to stop and obtain a driver's license before entering. It may be legal to pass such laws, but it is incumbent on the state of NJ to inform outsiders of the draconian laws, not the other way around.

Maybe one day the good people of NJ will tire of their looney tunes politicians and make them get a day job. IMHO

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts

1) This is hardly the first incident where NJ gun laws have trapped otherwise law abiding citizens. Seems to me I remember the governor being pushed into pardoning a woman from PA, if I remember right.

2) Not all law-abiding citizens know to check gun laws when entering NJ, even to just drive through. I think the NTSB should require NJ to post it's draconian gun law requirements on large signs at every possible entrance into the state. Their laws have been compared to requiring those who enter NJ to stop and obtain a driver's license before entering.

Maybe one day the good people of NJ will tire of their looney tunes politicians and make them get a day job.
The guy headed to prison went well beyond an honest mistake in a gun-hating state. If the circumstances are accurately portrayed, I would have a tough time being a sympathetic jury member.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
The guy headed to prison went well beyond an honest mistake in a gun-hating state. If the circumstances are accurately portrayed, I would have a tough time being a sympathetic jury member.
I agree...to a point. Other cases have not been so clear cut. IIRC the woman faced felonies and lots of prison time. She was a single mom traveling with her children and was in the process of passing through. Bad law.

Here is a link to that sorry episode and another:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/1...-mother-facing-three-years-on-gun-charge.html

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
As a former Marine I sympathize with his predicament but as a former Police Officer I must agree that he knowing brought his handgun into a state where it wasn't legally registered. Draconian or not, If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
I have never lived in a state where registration was required (at least not at the time I lived in those states). While I understand that ignorance of the law is not a defense (unless it is an LEO applying a 'law' contrary to real laws, then they get qualified immunity), a three year mandatory sentence for something where it would not be intuitive knowledge was even a crime seems excessive.

Plus, there's an issue in what is stated in the article. It states that the gun was registered in Virginia, which would seem to infer he could likely be expected to know that other states could require registration. But, from the information I can find, Virginia does not have registration. Perhaps the author was really talking about concealed carry permit. So, now I'm confused about the New Jersey law. Was he charged for not having a registered firearm (as the article states) or was it really about not being licensed/permitted to carry?

SOMEWHAT OFF TOPIC: I get really annoyed when I hear new articles about a shooting and they make a statement that the gun used was not registered (when the locale the crime took place does not have registration). In my experience, a large portion of non-gun people all believe that all guns are supposed to be registered, when that is not the case in the vast majority of instances.

·
Registered
134 Posts

1) This is hardly the first incident where NJ gun laws have trapped otherwise law abiding citizens. Seems to me I remember the governor being pushed into pardoning a woman from PA, if I remember right. This was bad law, before this particular case ever came up.

2) Not all law-abiding citizens know to check gun laws when entering NJ, even to just drive through. I think the NTSB should require NJ to post it's draconian gun law requirements on large signs at every possible entrance into the state. Their laws have been compared to requiring those who enter NJ to stop and obtain a driver's license before entering. It may be legal to pass such laws, but it is incumbent on the state of NJ to inform outsiders of the draconian laws, not the other way around.

Maybe one day the good people of NJ will tire of their looney tunes politicians and make them get a day job. IMHO
The laws in NJ are insane and it goes without saying that they are unconstitutional. The PA lady who was pardoned is a good example of a case where a precedent was set that established the lunacy of their laws.

The case in the OP is not a good example. His honorable service notwithstanding, the suspect in this case displayed a pattern of behavior that established him as not an 'otherwise law-abiding citizen' or a law-abiding citizen at all. He's a knucklehead. It seems clear that the very, very slim little glimmer of good faith that existed when they enacted those laws was intended to keep people just like that dude from doing exactly what that dude did. Not a good example to show them why they need to change their laws.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would call this "a self-inflicted injury." The article doesn't say if he had a CCP in Virginia, only that the gun was registered. To my understanding, Virginia is not a constitutional carry state. This guy knew he was carrying illegally. Then topping it all off with allowing his "friend" to take the gun from him.

I'm having difficulty trying to figure out how he is now a victim.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Simply bringing it into the state, I have much empathy. Carrying it concealed in that state, going into a bar with a belligerent friend who knew he had it, and then allowing that friend to take the gun on his way to confront the police, we have arrived at the point of the three stupids.
I certainly agree but thought the other acts went without saying.

·
Premium Member
36,808 Posts
I agree...to a point. Other cases have not been so clear cut. IIRC the woman faced felonies and lots of prison time. She was a single mom traveling with her children and was in the process of passing through. Bad law.

Here is a link to that sorry episode and another:

'Honest mistake' leads to Philly mother facing three years on gun charge | Fox News
If we are going to pick a case to plant the flag on, I'm going with the Philly mother. NJ laws are archaic, draconian and horribly unfair in general, but this isn't the guy I want to use as our forinstance.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Edc when and where legal. Stay out of locations prone to "incidents". When you violate these and get caught it's tough to have sympathy.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts