Defensive Carry banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was reloading some .223s and they would not chamber. They tested good in a go-nogo gauge, but would not seat. They also would not go into the sizing die. The casings are crunched in the shoulder area as illustrated. Ideas? My thought is the die is too low and the press is squeezing the casing.

Attachments

· Registered
8,259 Posts
Is he putting a lubricant on the brass before attempting to resize the casings ?

· Registered
19,052 Posts
The die, optimally should contact the shell holder @ full compression. He may not be properly lubing the cases. Go/no go gauges are for the chamber, not the cartridges. He needs a chamber gauge.

He is gonna need to pull all the bullets and lube/resize them all.

If the case neck is too tight or the bullets oversize he could be compressing the case seating the bullet. He should be using a taper crimp die. He needs to adjust the crimp die as that could compress the cases as well.

· Registered
5,289 Posts
Off topic - I like the automatic description of the image:
Office supplies Writing implement Cylinder Metal Titanium

Maybe we should have all our cartridges self identify as such.

· Registered
4,769 Posts
I would start with:
Backing off the crimp.
Cleaning the die. Lube build up can cause problems.
Good, lite lube on the case.
Size the case and test in the chamber.
Seat the bullet and test in the chamber.
Add a little crimp and test in the chamber.
Trim cases or sort by length. And adjust dies accordingly.

Reactions: flh

· Premium Member
545 Posts
No doubt in my mind…. He’s way over crimping. I’m betting he’s crimping at the same step he’s seating the bullet. Crimping needs done on a separate step. I have shot THOUSANDS of un-crimped rounds in an AR but freely admit I prefer them crimped. It doesn’t take much.

Todd

· Registered
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Without knowing much about reloading, that was my thought, but it's not the crimp itself that's the problem. Its where it necks down, as in where the arrow points. I'm guessing that when he's crimping he's putting too much pressure on the press and buckling the shoulder. Hard to see on that pic, but very noticeable when looking at the actual casing. I had a cheap plastic caliper for some non-critical measurements and it showed that portion to be considerably wider than the factory casing.

· Registered
78,764 Posts
Without knowing much about reloading, that was my thought, but it's not the crimp itself that's the problem. Its where it necks down, as in where the arrow points. I'm guessing that when he's crimping he's putting too much pressure on the press and buckling the shoulder. Hard to see on that pic, but very noticeable when looking at the actual casing. I had a cheap plastic caliper for some non-critical measurements and it showed that portion to be considerably wider than the factory casing.
The seating die only seats the bullet and crimps the neck, and it should never touch the case shoulder regardless. I suspect the crimp is pushing the neck back and causing the shoulder bulge. The crimp will wedge into the bullet the more the press handle is pulled. The more you pull the handle, something will give. He needs to readjust his seating die to lessen the amount of crimp.

What brand of dies is he using?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts