·
Super Moderator
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Administrator
143,466 Posts
" Made in 1913. This gun has an experimental hammer."

Interesting...but I can see why the idea only made it into the trash can.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
I'm guessing they never intended that one for pocket carry - no matter how big the pocket.

·
Super Moderator
18,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only thought I didn't like huge swoop-y up-py beaver tail grip safeties.

Huge swoop-y up-py hammer spurs are ten times worse.

I love collecting firearms, but would only give market price for a pre-World War I Colt in that condition without the experimental hammer. Any supporting experimental documentation aside, If I had the pistol I'd find a period correct hammer and convert it ... then go shoot it and give it careful range exercise. It'd roost in the safe with a normal hammer. The experimental hammer could be preserved as the curiosity it is, but not on the pistol.

I'm just not a true collector. The thing is severely overvalued by the seller in this instance.

Strangely enough, the serrations on the experimental hammer look post-World War II in their execution.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Buyer pays actual shipping costs for the following option(s): Overnight, 2nd Day, 3rd Day, Ground, Priority, 1st Class
No international shipments

Sorry. That’s a deal breaker. I ain’t paying for no shipping!

·
Administrator
143,466 Posts
But, I love the thumb safety.
All of my thumb safeties are configured that way.
Either a modified Colt or replaced with an S7 machined tool steel replacement.
I am decently talented w/ a Dremel due to having used one almost daily at work.
Just a side note: Hand fitting a thumb safety is pretty easy but, the "fit" is absolutely critical. It must move up into "Safe" with zero slop in the fit.
Often you'll have to also carefully work on that plunger dimple which can be a bit frustrating to get a perfect on/off fit.
A bit "off topic" Sorry!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts