Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of this as a training tool; and - could it harm the pistol?

I thought a good way to start teaching folks about muzzle direction awareness would be to get a 36" wooden dowel and (after confirming the pistol was unloaded, and no ammo around), insert the dowel into the barrel, tape it to the outside of the barrel. Then allow the newb to handle the gun, rack the slide, load the mag etc, pretend to be at the range all with this dowel sticking out. Seems like it might help to start to teach new folks to keep the muzzle pointed in the right direction. It would provide continuous positive evidence to them and an instructor where the next potential ND is going!

·
Super Moderator
16,861 Posts
Sounds like a good idea and would not harm the firearm, as a suggestion I would paint the dowel a bright color to make it even more obvious as to where it is pointed.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Sounds like a good idea and would not harm the firearm, as a suggestion I would paint the dowel a bright color to make it even more obvious as to where it is pointed.
I would agree. Do the training pistols have an open barrel? I think it may be problematic to use real guns simply due to the same reasons it's not a smart idea to let a toddler play with a toy gun and then handle a real one.

I know, I know...adults aren't toddlers.... :danceban:

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
But some sure act like 'em.

Good idea and +1 on painting it a bright color. During safety classes we have a rifle with a very long fluorescent orange barrel.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
A laser can be a good training tool, if feasible for the weapon involved. A laser REALLY reaches out there. I have heard instructors use the "laser rule" terminology, even if not a real laser.

Edited to add: For simple classroom instruction, it doesn't have to be a laser made for shooting purposes.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
+1 on the laser pointer. Secure it to the dummy firearm and watch it move around the room as people handle the firearm. It also goes to reinforce that a bullet will travel until it hits something...

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have used this training aid for many years with young kids in my firearms safety classes. I have a .410 shotgun with a 3/8" dowel and a styrofoam ping pong ball on the end so as not to poke an eye out. I feel this is better than a laser due to the total visibility of the dowel. The laser with kids is a bad combination, they want to shine it in somebodies eyes.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Good ideas mentioned, folks. I like the idea of using the dowel as an intro, and that's a great suggestion for the laser, and a good case for having one as a training aid.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Dowel sounds like a better idea than the laser one. Adults seem to get really self-conscious about 'pretending' and in my experience often react to the laser explanation like you're talking down to them. That and it's rather alarming to me how few people can visualize seemingly abstract ideas. I think I might go pick up a couple wooden dowels and start bringing some masking tape with me to the range...

-B

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
IF you are going to use a laser, I have a suggestion. At the "Flea Market" here in Virginia I found toy automatic handguns that have sights, a laser already attached AND the slides actually move back and forth. They had three sizes..small (no laser), medium and full sized for $3, $4, and $5 respectively.

I suspect that they would be available in your area as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts