Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what other folks do planning a trip by car for about 10 days all the states I am driving to reciprocate the TN HCP so no issues there. Do you all carry extra ammo above and beyond what you normally do on a daily basis for a long or extended trip? If so how much?

·
Registered
563 Posts
SD ammo? Same as always.
Range ammo? Lots, just in case I can get some range time in.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Usually 2 extra mags loaded and extra holster just in case of breakage. Nothing worse than pranging your carry gun against a concrete corner and feeling bullets fall out of your pants leg. Back up mags are small and pack well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yea, I'd take extra mags (loaded of course) in case of malfunction. Not sure if you need an extra box of ammo - the loaded mags should be ok. They're pretty small so you can take 3 or 4 easily.

NC Bullseye - Good idea on the extra holster.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I would carry xtra mags along with a BUG just in case

·
Registered
203 Posts
Six full mags, just in case I run into a pack, BUG and six more. Now I feel safe, maybe! :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
205 Posts
For trips exclusively I'll wear my magazine pouch on the other side of my hip that holds two extra magazines. So right there that's 3 magazines with 22 rounds total. Plus I'll wear my bug so that's another 7 rounds. Plenty enough of ammo :image035:

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nope. Just what I normally carry. Full mag + 1 in the gun, a spare full mag. I don't really see a big difference between a long trip and a short run from home. If I have to use my weapon for any reason, it's going to screw up my day (and I hope the BG's day as well) regardless of how far I am into the trip. There's a real good chance I'm only going to have to pull my weapon once on a trip, if at all. And I pray it's the latter and not the former.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
EDC plus 1 mag, my usual.

When I travel, it's usually to states north of Va.

And we all know about states north of Virginia. Md, NJ, NY. Not exactly gun friendly states.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I bring an extra main carry and a extra bug. If something breaks, I have a backup. Plus extra ammo for each.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I recently went on a month long trip, and multiple day trips for interviews recently; each time, I'd take my EDC G23 plus 3 extra mags, and a BUG--at that time a sig p232 and the extra mag I had with it. I'd also pack a few extra rounds for each--20 rounds extra after the mags is about what I took.

Truthfully, I took too much ammo, IMO; but definitely take a BUG. I'd on occasion have to use it as my primary due to what I was in those places for.

Good luck and have fun on the trip; be safe.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I usually carry a back up gun and two extra mag for both guns. Can't carry a whole lot on a motorcycle. Flying I cut down the extra mags.
If I want to shoot I buy ammo at my destination. I don't carry as much as Grady though. I think he rents a semi when he travels.

Semper fi

·
Registered
268 Posts
If I am going more than a hundred miles from home I carry my primary and a BUG and at least 2 magazines for each, plus a box of SD ammo. My wife also carries, and will carry one extra mag. Her carry gun takes the same ammo and magazines as my BUG, so that simplifies logistics.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The two ranges I go to won't let you use anything but their own range ammo that they sell to you. I always have two mags with me plus the mag in my Walther P99 + 1 in the tube, total 46 rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,189 Posts
Two extra mags and a box of WWB for range time with the EDC if it is available. I always bring the BUG with an extra mag.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Since all trips out of state are to states where I have relatives I carry my normal EDC ( 5 inch 1911, Defender BUG, 2 extra 8round Wilson mags).

I then throw in 2 boxes of 45 range ammo (for me), 2 boxes of 9mm range ammo for nieces and nephews. I usually take olong one or two rifles for range work and associated ammo. I really hate sitting around the house when visiting family, so I figure if I provide the ammo we can at least have one day of range time.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Just out of curiosity.... why would you think it necessary to carry more ammo on a trip than you carry for daily defense around your hometown? I assume you're talking defensive purposes. If you're carrying more ammo because you'll be getting range time, different story. But for defense, what scenario do you envision happening on a trip that you don't think possible around your home location? If a mag in the gun and one on your hip is enough for daily purposes, why would it not be sufficient for any trip, regardless of length?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts