Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I am looking for some input...I normally carry 1 extra clip but no flashlight but took a intermediate tactics and shooting class a couple of weeks ago, they taught us we should be carrying 2 extra clips, a flashlight and a folding knife. How much is enough?? I might as well wear a SWAT vest!! What are you guys carrying???

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ok guys, I am looking for some input...I normally carry 1 extra clip but no flashlight but took a intermediate tactics and shooting class a couple of weeks ago, they taught us we should be carrying 2 extra clips, a flashlight and a folding knife. How much is enough?? I might as well wear a SWAT vest!! What are you guys carrying???
I carry two magazines for my PT140 and a Kershaw Blur.

BTW, semi-auto pistols have magazines; a clip is used in an M1 Garand. :wave:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am bad, I was working on my buddys M1 Garand mistake noted
Thanks

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
My EDC is a G26 OWB strong side 3 o'clock w/2 xtra mags weak side 9 o'clock and Spyderco Endura weakside front pocket. I only carry a Tac Lite if necessary at night. JMO

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Carry what you feel is needed, if its just a single gun and thats it then learn to use that to its fullest. If you want to go fullbore and carry 2 mags flashlight defensive knife and BUG then do that, after a few years of getting told "You're doing it wrong" Im kinda in the point of Ill do my thing you do yours. So do what makes you comfortable.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I carry a gun,2 xtra mags and unless there is a power outage...crap I gotta start carrying a flashlight

·
Registered
405 Posts
I agree with TerriLi. I'm far from a tactical expert (on the ground, anyway ;), but I feel comfortable with what I carry. I've got my EDC and a folder that are always with me. At night, I sometimes slip my Olight Warrior in a cargo shorts or jacket pocket if I think I'll need it. I also might carry a spare mag in a cargo or jacket pocket, too, but that's about it. I've got a messenger bag that doubles as my diaper bag (two little ones), and that has 2 spare mags in it along with a first aid kit and some other odds and ends. Sometimes there's just too much to carry. Do what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
EDC, one mag, keys, phone, and usually chapstick.

Might add a light at night, Santa's bringing me a Fenix PD30. :santaclaus:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I carry a folder a EDC, and one extra mag. and a flashlight. I carry extra mags in the door space on each side of my truck. If I cant fight my way back to my truck with 27 rounds I aint gonna make it. My heavy flashlight is a Surefire
E1L. For suit and tie days it is a Streamlight Microstream, the size of a medical penlight. My folder clips to my pants pocket all of this is doable, in a suit and tie EVERYDAY by me. Its not impossible...you just have to plan a little before you load your pockets.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That is what we in the Army call a "geardo" kinda like weirdo. I mean really!!!
primary carry. 2 mags, BUG, knife, flashlight, pepper spray, cell phone wallet, car keys :nutkick: I do have an old assault pack that I willl sell cheap if any geardo needs it

Did I forget any equipment

·
Registered
46 Posts
Handgun (P345 or S&W 637), 2 Mags (1 Speed Strip) , small maglite and Crkt Folder.
To each his own, I usually carry all this stuff but not 100% of the time.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Bot Scout motto

I carry knives, even before, perhaps because we didn't have CCH, for work, pleasure and defense.
I carry a Spyderco Worker 3-1/2 blade right front pocket, mostly with the idea it is my animal defense weapon. It is of course a one hand knife and if a dog attacked me I would guard with my left arm and cut the dog's throat with the knife. I have knives I carry for cutting boxes, drywall and scraping battery terminal, don't want to use that knife for cutting my food.
Gun, carry a Colt Officer's ACP and always 4 spare magazines, maybe as many as 8 spares if it is winter and I'm wearing a coat with lots of pockets. In cool weather I'll have 6 mags, and a vest. Those mags are weights too to keep the 40 mph Kansas breeze from blowing my cover [pun intended, is it a pun?]
Cellphone, keys, sometimes a multi-tool and if I'll be out late, a 7-C Maglight, or maybe just a MiniMag with 3 LED conversion.
I'm way over equipped, been carrying 20,000 hours last three years and have never come close to needing 90% of the stuff. But then I haven't need the car insurance either.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
At home, EDC...it's a spare mag, flashlight (either E2D or G2 LED), a folding knife, and a CELL PHONE. If I carry, I always have my cell phone.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
IMO unless your carry is a five shot auto, no need to carry more than one spare mag.

I'm a mechanic, so I always carry a decent tac light with at least 120 lumen output. If you rarely are out at night, or live in an area where power outages are rare, not much need for one other than a fist pack for H2H.

Knifes are another issue, and if you carry one as part of your defense package, you best have some skills in the use, otherwise it would be like the first time gun owner getting their CC permit and never take a shooting class or seek any training. They feel good that they have the gun on them, but have a very slim chance of being able to deploy it in a manner that is effective, and are most likely going to loose in an encounter.

·
Banned
342 Posts
gun at 4 oclock

2 spare mags at 9 oclock

Blackberry at 1 oclock

surefire in back left pocket

benchmade in front right pocket

all carried on a wilderness tactical instructor 1.5" belt

...when I'm not working.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1 ea Glock G32C at 4:00
1 ea spare magazine in L/H front pocket (26 rounds total)
1 ea Streamlight Strion flashlight in R/H side pocket
1 ea Benchmade Mini Barrage clipped to R/H front pocket
1 ea cellphone in L/H shirt pocket
1 ea chapstick in R/H front pocket :hand10:
1 ea wallet in ?

Depending on the situation, my 2nd knife is a Benchmade Griptillian clipped to L/H front pocket or Ka Bar TDI clipped to belt at 8:00.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I carry one spare mag when carrying my Sig P239, a Kershaw folder, and a small flashlight cliped to my belt (which has come in handy many times, however, never for a defensive purpose), wallet, keys, cell phone, and a chpstick. If I am carrying my s&W model sixty, I carry one speedloader or one speedstrip.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Glock 19,
2 spare G17 mags
Stryder AR folder
Blackhawk Gladius and a Crackberry
Car Keys with OC spray attached

If you only carry a hammer all the problems begin to look like nails.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts