Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble sighting in with my Glock. I have bi-focals , when I'm sighting in I need to lift my head to focus . Its very awkward to do this . Any suggestions?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have bi-focals. When I shoot, I don't lift my head to see through the lower 'close' lens, I use the regular "distance' lens and focus ON THE TARGET down range. Meaning the sights are blurry but clear enough to see when they are aligned and on target.

·
Premium Member
7,442 Posts
Have a pair of glasses made that are bifocal prescription in the entire lense for shooting. Get safety glasses that have the side pieces on them for extra eye protection. After you shoot enough and practice enough you will be "pointing" the gun accurately enough that if you have a self defense situation you will be able to use that gun just fine even though the sights will be blurry through you every day glasses.

It IS worth the investment for the shooting safety glasses. I have trifocals and have my shooting glasses in the trifocal prescription only because that is my handgun shooting (and computer) distance.

You can also get some instruction and practice in actual point shooting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've struggled with this problem too. Had a separate set of bifocals made that allowed me to better focus on front sight. That didn't help much. In the end I went with a crimson trace green laser grip on my EDC and a red dot sight on my AR. Makes me happier to be able to see the target :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Whatever your solution, find it, and practice with front sight focus using those glasses (or lasex surgery). There is a SEAL firearms instructor that gave a seminar I attended who was asked, "Should I wear my glasses to shoot because I only use my reading glasses when shooting. When out and about I will not be wearing glasses. How should I be training?" The answer: Wear your glasses to learn and feel where the gun, the target, your eyes and face should be positioned when putting shots on target. If you find yourself in a shoot-out without your glasses you will still maintain sufficient combat accuracy - effectively point-shooting - without your glasses on.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
My lovely bride was having the same problem and she had cataract surgery. She talked to her doctor, ponied up the extra $2000 per eye and no longer has the problem. We both have early onset cataracts. The doctor said it was from years in the sun.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I always blame my eyesight when the rounds don't go where I want them to go :smile:
And that's okay, Bandit. Because your other senses will likely also help you. Chances are if you're ever in an actual SHTF situation you'll probably be able to smell the guy you're shooting at.

·
Banned
172 Posts
I have a similar issue in that it's difficult to find the exact place on my transitions lenses where the front sight is in sharp focus. Looking at the target is not acceptable for anything beyond "intimate distances," and less, if a precision shot is necessary. I have a green a laser sight and they're effective in most all lighting situations other than bright sunlight, but that leaves an unacceptable gap in coverage. Now I'm having a Trijicon RMR red dot sight put on the slide of my Glock 19. That will cover all lighting situations from bright sun to total darkness. I'll use a light for target ID when it's too dark too see without it.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I love my XS Big Dot Sights G17 XS Big Dot(a).jpg But i think my eyes shifted and i might switch to the Trijicon HD sights (with the bright orange front sight) HD.jpg

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Closer bigger targets.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have a similar issue in that it's difficult to find the exact place on my transitions lenses where the front sight is in sharp focus. Looking at the target is not acceptable for anything beyond "intimate distances," and less, if a precision shot is necessary. I have a green a laser sight and they're effective in most all lighting situations other than bright sunlight, but that leaves an unacceptable gap in coverage. Now I'm having a Trijicon RMR red dot sight put on the slide of my Glock 19. That will cover all lighting situations from bright sun to total darkness. I'll use a light for target ID when it's too dark too see without it.
I found this to be the opposite-- I couldn't see the red laser dot in sunlight but the green shows up just fine.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I ordered a pair of the "Dialvision" glasses they advertise on TV. you can individually dial each lens to a different prescription, thought they might make for a good test.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts