Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was to the eye doctor last week and didn't get as good news as I would have liked.
I've been blaming my difficulty focusing on glasses that are three years old. He informed me that my correction is only slightly changed from the last time I was there. Old injuries are coming back to haunt me.

I am right handed and right eye master.
I have a small scar on the back of my right eye that has caused a blind spot which we knew about. What the doctor didn't anticipate was the formation of a thin cloud in the liquid inside the eye. He explained that it is very much like the beginning of a cataract, only not as easily treated. A cataract can be removed while they can't exactly remove and replace the fluid inside your eyes. For now he has me on a steroid and may try an injection in the future. Functionally it is like looking through very light fog. I don't notice it except for fine details and faired lights.

I've been trying some red dot sights in the last couple years with very little success. This explains why the dots are flaired and indistinct. Worse is the fog acts as a prism so the position of the dot changes with the angle of my eye to the sight.
It begins to make sense why I can use an RDS on a long gun with better results than a pistol.

For now, I will continue with my iron sights and maybe add contrasting colors to front and rear sights.

Any other ideas?

Reactions: Gabill and AzQkr

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
After an accident, I had to wear a patch over my dominant right eye for 4 months. During that period I trained shooting rifles & pistols left handed using only my left eye. I also trained shooting pistols right-handed using my left eye. After the first month shooting this way my accuracy was almost as good as before the accident. At first it was truly a humbling experience, but persistence pays off.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I have a problem with a brown fluid that sometimes effects my eyesight (blurry, double-vision & occasionally COMPLETE blindness). It's called...bourbon. :yup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to hear your ocular conditions. Can you elaborate and clear up some things?

A thin cloud in the liquid of your eye? I take it you mean the vitreous? It is a liquid that can't be easily replaced without risking more loss in vision. And this will be treated with steroids and maybe an injection? If it is the vitreous, then this doesn't make too much sense.

Sorry, but the explanation and treatment plan doesn't fit well. I feel that he may have explained things to you in a way you'll understand, but in partial truths and ultimately giving you a disservice. You should ask for the name of the actual diagnosis.

Curious since I'm a colleague.

PMG

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His exact word was "debris".
After the original injury I had a large number of floaters which they used a laser to clear up. My understanding is that the idea was that what was left would not be noticeable. Obviously that assumption was wrong. While it worked well initially, now I have this to deal with.

He is trying a steroid first, but does not expect much if any change.
I'm not sure about what the injection he talked about is exactly. He said it is similar to what my Mom has done for her macular degeneration.
The last thing he talked about was a vitrectomy (sp), but that is not something he recommends as the possibility of causing more problems outweighs the benefits.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I am right handed with a dominant master left eye due to amblyopia in my right eye..........retrain yourself. It takes time and lots of practice but you can do it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I'm using occupational trifocals to see my pistol sights these days. These lenses are regular bifocals on bottom with my distance vision prescription above the bifocals with trifocals at the top of the lens. These are not popular so some compromises have to be made. YMMV

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Hope that all works for ya. Not a fun thing to be dealing with.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
If the steroid you mention is Prednisone. Read about its nasty side effects. Try some natural supplements for eye health. One stands out for me, Bilberry. During WWII the Brits fed there pilots this to enhance their night vision. There are others too. Might help..

·
Registered
4 Posts
The steroids won't do anything unfortunately. They work if you have floaters that are induced by current inflammation due to vitritis, iritis etc.. A vitrectomy will yield worse vision than what you have. I'm not sure where he's going the shots. The shots for macular degeneration are anti-vegf, to help reduce blood vessel growth and then bleeding; the cause of decreased vision in Mac degeneration.

You'll have to live with the floaters unfortunately. This is the Internet and you don't know me, but I don't agree with this treatment plan or method of thinking.. I'll just leave it at that.

PMG

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Sounds like you might want to see a second doctor which is always a good idea. With a medical condition I have I followed up with a second Dr. and it helped. As for the Bourbon, it just clouded my vision once before I knew it wouldn't happen again. The shotgun is hell to conceal.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The steroids won't do anything unfortunately. They work if you have floaters that are induced by current inflammation due to vitritis, iritis etc.. A vitrectomy will yield worse vision than what you have. I'm not sure where he's going the shots. The shots for macular degeneration are anti-vegf, to help reduce blood vessel growth and then bleeding; the cause of decreased vision in Mac degeneration.

You'll have to live with the floaters unfortunately. This is the Internet and you don't know me, but I don't agree with this treatment plan or method of thinking.. I'll just leave it at that.

PMG
Thanks for the replies.

PMG,
Sorry for my poor explanation.
Your last statement is pretty much what my dr has said.
The shot is only an option if there is an improvement with the steroid.
The vitrectomy he didn't recommend, but said I could find someone who might be willing to do it if I wanted.

Reactions: PMG

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
This was discussed at our range.
One gent a year older than myself described -- with a hilarious pantomine -- how he cranked his head waay back to look at his sights through the bottom of his bifocals.
The fellow laughing with him said "Simple solution!" and turned his spectacles over, put them on upside-down.
That would work, I suppose, if each eye had the same strength bifocal lens.
I tend to pay attention to such subjects ... my own age increases steadily, alas -- the only place I'm still eighteen is between my ears!

Reactions: Rockymonster

·
Registered
285 Posts
I had cataracts removed in both eyes, last year, did the left eye then 4 weeks later did the right eye, i'm back to 20/20 vision but i still need glasses for reading..total cost of both eyes done 14,830 bucks and i still nee a pair of 10 dollar glasses to read. I have a hard time seeing my sites without my reading glasses but can see target with no problems, if i put my reading glasses on i can see my gun sights but the target is blurry...lol

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
I really like XS Big Dot Sights. But I think this is a great idea. Soon to be 67, wear bifocals.

FTBullseye

Reactions: drift

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Now in my mid 60s my eyesight is definitely not what it used to be. I also have floaters but the doc just laughed it off and said, "Welcome to the over 50 and nearsighted club. I have them, too. Unless you see a big increase, you just need to get used to it."

I also notice that I need more light to read, especially fine print, and my night vision is declining which bothers me because of my interest in astronomy.

Oh, well...

Getting old ain't for wimps. :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I had cataracts removed in both eyes, last year, did the left eye then 4 weeks later did the right eye, i'm back to 20/20 vision but i still need glasses for reading..total cost of both eyes done 14,830 bucks and i still nee a pair of 10 dollar glasses to read. I have a hard time seeing my sites without my reading glasses but can see target with no problems, if i put my reading glasses on i can see my gun sights but the target is blurry...lol
Just about recovered from having a "grade 4+" cataract removed from my right eye. Took the surgeon half an hour with the ultrasonic doohickey set to the "Holy Moly!" setting, but he got it out and the implant in place. Scheduled for the left eye in just over two weeks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts