Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first pistol I ever fired was a G26. I remember that I wasn't impressed, and from what I can remember, thought the grip was thick, the gun was heavy, and it seemed brick like. I think, but I'm not sure, it was Gen3. I ultimately decided on a XD 4" service model... That was several years ago.

Now I currently have a subcompact XD Mod 2, but while I was at Gander Mountain today, saw the G26 in the display case. I think that my perceptions of firearms as a new shooter is completely different from from how I view things now. It was smaller and not as ugly as I remembered, seemed like a good size, so it sparked my interest.

My question is, does anyone own both? If so, what's the pros and cons of each? That is, I'm not interested in which one you shoot the best or which one feels or fits you the best... I'm interested in the technical pros and cons features, price, customization, what you get out the box, wise etc.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have owned a couple Springfields in the past and sold them. The last one I sold for a g26! The Glock weighs significantly less. In terms of customization, nothing beats Glock. The sights suck so you'll want to change those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have owned several XDs in the past, include the XDS (9mm & .45), XDsc, XDm 5.25 and XD Mod 2 (9mm). I've owned at least one or more sub-compact Glock since 1999. While I like the XD pistols and think they're well made, I concur with firefighterguy above. Glocks are lighter and accessories are readily available. Glocks are also a lot easier to work on, especially things like changing the sights. I also prefer the Glock triggers, but not everyone would. I actually like the stock Glock trigger better than my XDS that had a PRP upgraded trigger and my XDm 5.25. While some people call Glocks "Blocks" and make fun of them for being thick, they're really quite thin, at least in 9mm, .40 and .357 Sig. They conceal well, are light and have good capacity vs size. The sub-compacts like the G26 conceal better than many single stacks for some people, including me, due to the short grip. It definitely concealed better than my Mod 2. Many people can shoot the sub-compact Glocks as well as full size pistols, at least at self-defense distances.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Out of my stable of Glocks the G-26 is the go-to one for me. Even though I like my G-19 (gen 3), my G-26 (gen 4) feels better to me and with G-19 mags in it, I can do anything with it that I can with the G-19. (I shoot both equally.) The big difference for me is the G-26 carries better IMO! Just my .02 worth! Good luck!

Reactions: Bigsteve113

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The 26 is the most compact double-stack that I own, and it can put a hefty round count in your hand for such a small, easily concealable package. That said, it does take a bit of getting used to it's proportions in order to get comfortable firing it. I like mine a lot - but I will confess to spending far more time carrying pistols that are a little bit bigger (H&K P2000, H&K USP9c, Commander size 1911)

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have many handguns. I have 5 Glocks. A 17, 19, 26, 27 & 30S. I have complete confidence in any of them getting the job done right out of the box. They are simple to work on and customize. I don't carry a Glock all the time. I like all guns and swap out regularly. But.......a couple of my favorite carry guns are the Glock 26 & 27. I find them as easy to conceal as the single stacks with the proper holster and belt. Some folks like them......some folks don't. I happen to like them and recommend them as a reliable option for personal defense.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Why do you like the G26 over the XD?
G26 has more options, holsters, mags, sights, and just felt completely reliable and I shot it well, but mainly it's lighter than the XD(m)subcompact.

The XD is heavier - 26 oz vs the 21.7 oz of the G26. I had no issues with shooting. Super accurate. Those 5 oz can make a difference for EDC.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
They're both great in their own ways. While the light weight of the Glock is awesome for carrying for long stretches, the extra weight of the XD is great at the range. The grip safety is loved by some, hated by others. I like it. I keep my hand off the grip safety while holstering the weapon & have a lot less worry about my shirt or anything else getting into the trigger guard. There are more accessories for the Glock if you are into that. In my experience with them, they are both 100% reliable. They are also both pretty sweet & I wouldn't want to part with any of them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I've never owned a G26, although I like Glocks (17, 19, 30sf). The reason is that I just can't get myself comfortable with a two finger grip, which is all I can seem to muster on the 26. But, everyone feels differently about that, and hey, if it works for you, who am I to say otherwise? Go with what works and feels best to you.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Both XD's and Glocks are depenable ...to me XD's seem top heavy ..must be the higher sight radis....I personaly chose the Glock platform.. But it was just my personal preference.....

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The first pistol I ever fired was a G26. I remember that I wasn't impressed, and from what I can remember, thought the grip was thick, the gun was heavy, and it seemed brick like. I think, but I'm not sure, it was Gen3. I ultimately decided on a XD 4" service model... That was several years ago.

Now I currently have a subcompact XD Mod 2, but while I was at Gander Mountain today, saw the G26 in the display case. I think that my perceptions of firearms as a new shooter is completely different from from how I view things now. It was smaller and not as ugly as I remembered, seemed like a good size, so it sparked my interest.

My question is, does anyone own both? If so, what's the pros and cons of each? That is, I'm not interested in which one you shoot the best or which one feels or fits you the best... I'm interested in the technical pros and cons features, price, customization, what you get out the box, wise etc.
Never thought I'd see the day when you were seriously considering a Glock. :smile: All joking aside, go ahead and get the 26 and shoot the heck out of it. I have owned a couple XD pistols and liked them. However, for personal reasons I like and shoot the Glocks better. I also must admit that I'm one of those oddballs that shoot the subcompact Glocks very accurately, and the 26 is arguably the best of the bunch. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
I've never owned a G26, although I like Glocks (17, 19, 30sf). The reason is that I just can't get myself comfortable with a two finger grip, which is all I can seem to muster on the 26. But, everyone feels differently about that, and hey, if it works for you, who am I to say otherwise? Go with what works and feels best to you.
If you get a gen 4 G-26 w/ the Pierce +2 mag extension it feels just like a G-19 to me. Just my .02 worth!

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never thought I'd see the day when you were seriously considering a Glock. :smile: All joking aside, go ahead and get the 26 and shoot the heck out of it. I have owned a couple XD pistols and liked them. However, for personal reasons I like and shoot the Glocks better. I also must admit that I'm one of those oddballs that shoot the subcompact Glocks very accurately, and the 26 is arguably the best of the bunch. Good luck my friend.
I might try it. Figured it will be easy to sell off later. I haven't looked at them in person in about 4 years. Ive skipped by the case at my LGS.

My Mod2 shipped with a 16 round extend, and a 13 round flush, so I'd be losing 9 rounds out the box along with a few other upgrades that ship standard with XDs. I guess the only reason Im even considering it is the fact that the dimensions looked smaller, it's easier to find mods locally, and because everyone claims it's easier to work on and to change out the sights.... That brings me to my next question. Do Glock sights require a $100+/- tool to change out the sights?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I might try it. Figured it will be easy to sell off later. I haven't looked at them in person in about 4 years. Ive skipped by the case at my LGS.

My Mod2 shipped with a 16 round extend, and a 13 round flush, so I'd be losing 9 rounds out the box along with a few other upgrades that ship standard with XDs. I guess the only reason Im even considering it is the fact that the dimensions looked smaller, it's easier to find mods locally, and because everyone claims it's easier to work on and to change out the sights.... That brings me to my next question. Do Glock sights require a $100+/- tool to change out the sights?

The front sight is an easy job.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/related-gear-equipment/162084-7-00-glock-front-sight-tool.html
The rear is a little tougher and I prefer to use a sight pusher. I have used a delrin punch and hammer in a pinch but was worried about messing up the tritium vials. Not sure where in VA you live but my local store installs my sights for free as long as I buy from them.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Hampton Roads area
You should not have a problem what so ever finding a shop that will change out a set of Glock sights in your area. You might pay a few more dollars for the sights than you would if you bought them from say, Amazon or Midway but you will get them immediately and you can look at them before you buy.

Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts