Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Face shields are a waste without N95 masks. All they do is protect against stuff splashing into your face, doesn't keep you from inhaling anything.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
Face shields are a waste without N95 masks. All they do is protect against stuff splashing into your face, doesn't keep you from inhaling anything.
Just like masks, merely partial protection. Except for the Devo face shield, of course.

·
Registered
61 Posts
So PPE does not really work then? Hospitalized Covid patients recover or die in HVAC environments and according to the JAMA article we don't see a lot of PPE protected caretakers becoming infected from work.

This is not about risk cancelation. It's about risk mitigation.
Doghandler could you please expand on what kind of HVAC environments you speak of and what HVAC has to do to do with the recovery of a Covid patient? Have you ever seen the PPE protected caretakers wear? When was the JAMA article written?

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
I wear a face shield every time I work on one of those guns that have built in "Bouncin' Betty" traps for the unwary!

I need some knee pads though - for huntin' those pesky parts that attempt a space launch at your work bench.

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,370 Posts
I think they would if the government hadn't shut down business and destroyed so much of the economy.

People are angry and fed up with having things shoved down their throats. Add politics into it and the whole thing has become very complicated.
Or maybe it’s really simple. Americans who understand and demand their rights against the tyrants destroying the country, destroying rights, and bringing families to financial ruin.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Doghandler could you please expand on what kind of HVAC environments you speak of and what HVAC has to do to do with the recovery of a Covid patient? Have you ever seen the PPE protected caretakers wear? When was the JAMA article written?
The HVAC was in reference to the post that implied HVAC systems negate social distancing precautions d/t forced air movement. Been doing hospital work since 1987, direct patient care for like 13 years. Currently a Clin Tech since 2002 here:

https://uihc.org/degowin-blood-center

so, yes, I am well acquainted with PPE. Here are the standards for infectious disease precautions. Covid patients would be under droplet or possibly airborne especially if they are on a vent.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/basics/transmission-based-precautions.html

Here's the JAMA article, April 29, 2020.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765525

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
So PPE does not really work then? Hospitalized Covid patients recover or die in HVAC environments and according to the JAMA article we don't see a lot of PPE protected caretakers becoming infected from work.

This is not about risk cancelation. It's about risk mitigation.
The HVAC was in reference to the post that implied HVAC systems negate social distancing precautions d/t forced air movement. Been doing hospital work since 1987, direct patient care for like 13 years. Currently a Clin Tech since 2002 here:

https://uihc.org/degowin-blood-center

so, yes, I am well acquainted with PPE. Here are the standards for infectious disease precautions. Covid patients would be under droplet or possibly airborne especially if they are on a vent.

https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/basics/transmission-based-precautions.html

Here's the JAMA article, April 29, 2020.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2765525
I’m confused by your position here. Healthcare workers have been infected as a result of not wearing proper PPE. The article you shared had an underlying agenda behind it, and you cite CDC recommendations that contradict the point of this thread.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Splash guards were never meant to protect from viruses or bacteria in the hospital setting. They're used to protect the wearer from fluids. All the doctors I worked with in Labor and Delivery wore them to protect against amniotic fluid gushing out during delivery.

Cool!

Did y’all save any?

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I’m confused by your position here. Healthcare workers have been infected as a result of not wearing proper PPE. The article you shared had an underlying agenda behind it, and you cite CDC recommendations that contradict the point of this thread.
My position is the same as the authors who penned the JAMA article. That is, face shields may do a better job, for the population at large, at protecting the mucous membranes around your face from the droplets that carry Corona virus than a mask; and here's the main point, WHILE WE EASE LOCKDOWN RESTRICTIONS and get back to mingling more. Droplet precautions for everyone.

FWIW, official policy of my employer is that all employees where a shield. Employees required to get closer than six feet to patients or otherwise persons are required to wear a shield and a mask.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
My position is the same as the authors who penned the JAMA article. That is, face shields may do a better job, for the population at large, at protecting the mucous membranes around your face from the droplets that carry Corona virus than a mask; and here's the main point, WHILE WE EASE LOCKDOWN RESTRICTIONS and get back to mingling more. Droplet precautions for everyone.

FWIW, official policy of my employer is that all employees where a shield. Employees required to get closer than six feet to patients or otherwise persons are required to wear a shield and a mask.
Does your employer recommend ONLY wearing a face shield, or a face shield with a mask?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Save any what?
That amniotic fluid gushing, I hear that stuff is like gold. A buddy back in the 90’s use to sell a face cream with afterbirth in it and it was real expensive so I figured somebody had a ladle and milk bucket around when they popped those babies out?

·
Premium Member
3,981 Posts
That amniotic fluid gushing, I hear that stuff is like gold. A buddy back in the 90’s use to sell a face cream with afterbirth in it and it was real expensive so I figured somebody had a ladle and milk bucket around when they popped those babies out?
Not the amniotic fluid, but I did work in a hospital that saved the placentas in a big chest type freezer for a company that paid for them, probably used in cosmetics. That was a long time ago, I don't know if they still do that or not.

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
Not the amniotic fluid, but I did work in a hospital that saved the placentas in a big chest type freezer for a company that paid for them, probably used in cosmetics. That was a long time ago, I don't know if they still do that or not.
The stuff women will smear on their faces...

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
34,024 Posts
The stuff women will smear on their faces...:blink:

Reactions: Sister
41 - 60 of 65 Posts