Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a fact check guys. Was told today but a holster maker that black isn't a good idea for IWB because sweat penetrates the leather and will begin to cause deterioration in it after a while. They also mentioned that the sweat can cause the black dye to stain clothing. For this particular get'up I'm planning, I'd been thinking of of a black rig, so what do you think, does this sound right? Any of you having problems with black leather holsters worn IWB? They also said that a plain oil finish protects the leather from sweat.

If I end up getting this SA Micro, I'd probably try to get the dark version that's done up in Army Kote and I just think it would look sharp in black leather.

Thanks
Gideon

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I've heard that yes they will bleed but ive never bought a black holster. But if its made right i wouldn't imagine it would

Kevin or Gary or Eric should be able to answer this for ya they make the holsters.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I am not an expert nor a holster maker but I don't believe that. I've enjoyed fine leather sheaths that carry IWB for years before I was even old enough to have CCW interests and I inevitably order them in black. I've never experienced such a problem.

·
Banned
151 Posts
I would guess with someone who did not know how to process the coloring of the leather you could have problems.

I have never heard or read of this type of problem from any of the major leather craftmen. Like Milt Sparks... Gary Brommeland... Rafter "S" This is just a few of the ones I have seen.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've got a Del Fatti IWB, black. I wear a cotton t-shirt between the holster and my skin. I have not noted any deterioration of the holster nor any dye problems.

SSKC

·
Registered
318 Posts
In the ten-plus years I have been making holsters I have never had a complaint of dye bleed-off in any color. If this were a problem with black holsters wouldn't it also be a problem with the edges of black belts? When I first started making holsters, my In-Cognito was my only IWB that I offered and I only made it with the light buff-colored suede backing that I now offer as an option on the Deluxe version of this holster. Reason being I was new to this and testing the waters so to speak, and was concerned about dye-bleed off until I had experimented some myself. If quality dyes and finishing techniques are used, this should not be an issue regardless of color. None of us would be in business very long if we were having to buy customers new shirts, Levi's, and Dockers with every order.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Addition

I know some amateur leathercrafters would have trouble getting a deep, rich, black finish on leather & they would sometimes do a final finish of BLACK shoe polish & that will bleed and for sure rub off.
I have never heard of it happening with modern professionally crafted holsters.
I know (years ago) some Safariland black holsters WOULD bleed & fade a bit after they got wet & the highlights on their basket weave pattern would get lighter. Just FYI

·
Registered
737 Posts
Gary knows the answer to this far better than the rest of us. Improperly dyed leather will stain clothing. Buy quality and this won't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. I'm a bit puzzled though becasue this came from a source that I believe is a high end holster maker known to many on this board. I don't want to bad mouth anyone though so I'll let it go at that and maybe talk to them again.

Thanks all

Gideon

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I've had a few black rigs and so far none of them have bled out. I think the key is to buy from an experienced leather craftsman. If black dye were such a problem Gary Brommeland would've been strung up somewhere long ago ... it's the only color he chooses to work with. :wink: That should tell you something about it's durability when it's done correctly.
Jack

·
Registered
770 Posts
Gary and Mark nailed it...............:image035:

Look at it this way...dye is dye. Color has nothing or very little to do with it. We all use similar finishing techniques and have similar results. I havent had a holster bleed off in years.

Different dyes may be used in the process of finding one that we like...admittedly, some are better than others. But the process usually takes care of any problems you will encounter before they can happen.

Shoot well

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I spoke to somebody in Sam Andrews shop yesterday on a nearly identical issue. Asked him about an IWB holster in CORDAVAN rather than balck and he made a similar comment that being a DYE if it gets sweaty it might bleed thru. But there was never a mention of leather breakdown which I think is a non-issue. Personally I have only one IWB that is leather and it's a McDaniels II from Sam. http://www.andrewsleather.com All my other stuff that is IWB is always a Kydex from Blade-Tec. I find their IWBs to be the most comfortable. Blade-Tec offers the best retention and the smoothest draw. IMHO.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Leather

If there are any problems with any holster that has been made by any holster maker that is a member of this forum then contact him through Private Mail or E~Mail & have the issue resolved.

Leather is a variable product (it was once a living thing) ~ leather tanning processes vary ~ it IS (of course) always possible that a particular leather hide would not accept dye properly perhaps due to an idiosyncratic problem at the tannery that the maker/end user would have absolutely no control over. It is also possible that there could have been a problem with a particular dye lot.
Our CombatCarry.com holster makers use the FINEST QUALITY hides available in the U.S. ~ I know that for a sure fact.

It is also always possible for there to be a problem with the leather or dye that would not show up until the rig was actually worn or in use.

ATTENTION: Do not make a private problem with any individual holster PUBLIC on the forum UNTIL you have given that maker a fair chance to rectify the problem and make it right.
That is only fair. Our holster makers are great people...if they were not...they would be gone off the forum by now.
The MOST that any holster maker on this forum can do is is "right a wrong" with a holster.

If...you don't allow them the opportunity to examine the holster FIRST & correct the problem ~ then any post that bad mouths a forum holster maker will be deleted.
That is also a fair policy.
If your friend is having a problem with his holster bleeding dye then tell him not to sit at home and get upset about it. Tell him to contact the maker.
Leather holster makers are some of the greatest people in the world. You will get a "fair shake" if the problem is legitimate and not due to user abuse.

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
QKShooter made a good point - leather is inconsistant as can be, and we are all human. Mistakes certainly can be made by anyone (myself included) and giving the guy who made it a chance to make things right is only fair.
We discontinued our Cordovan option (it was a beautiful burgundy red color) because we did have some bleed with it, and no matter what I did, I could not prevent it. I used the same brand dye as our Black, but got WAY different results from it.
We're in the final testing stages with a med brown color, but will not release it until I am absolutely sure about the bleed issue. The bottom line is that leather is a b**ch to work with, because of all the variables involved.

·
Administrator
143,960 Posts
Curious Question Concerning Leather

Curious Question Concerning Leather & Body Chemistry.

Just Wondering (curious person that I am) if User Body Chemistry could affect a leather rig.
Corrode the actual leather itself or bleed the dye?

Here is WHY I'm asking that question.
My brother is the nicest guy in the world but, he is EXTREMELY ACIDIC.
He can just touch a firearm and his fingerprints will rust right into a polished blued finish in very short order.
His sweat also causes dyed/colored shirts & T~Shirts to "bleach out white" in the armpit area.

When I worked doing electroplating...I worked with a couple of guys that could just touch Copper & Brass & burn indelible prints into the polished bare metal surface and that would show up in just a few minutes. Powerful sweat!

So...could a leather holster in close contact with that sort of body chemistry suffer Dye Bleeding Problems in hot, sweaty weather?

Just one of those bizarre thoughts that popped into my head.:blink:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Thats a good question. I know the answer and its "there is no right answer" :D Sorry, its like the time you read the possible side effects of birth control pills, 27 chapters later, they covered everything...because everyone is different and they have to cover everything.
Who's to say what will happen....if he bleaches out t shirts..thats pretty rare. Maybe Horse hide on the rear panel of his IWB isnt a bad idea...maybe have the maker triple acrylic coat the monster for him.
Maybe maybe maybe........good question, sorry the answer is so poor.
Shoot well.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
all black here, no bleed problem

·
Banned
1,424 Posts
Actually, leather contains some acid in it already. Acid (of some variety) is what chemically changes a raw, green hide (which will rot) into leather.
The leather used in upholstery, jackets and most all suede is tanned with chromic acid and will actually eat pits into tool steel. Therefore, it is a truly horrible holster material.
Holster leather is vegetable tanned. The tannic acid used in this process is made from either oak or hemlock bark, and/or acorns, and/or leaves. A really strong "tea" is brewed from these materials and water into a tannic acid solution. The green hides are submerged for about 90 days in the stuff until they are fully tanned, and are then dried, finished and split to weight.
In short, an acidic body chemestry might well discolor light colored leather holsters (usually turning them black), but in MOST cases will probably not do significant harm to the leather, except POSSIBLY causing it to dry out prematurely. (Although such a body chemistry can easily rot linen thread, and cause the stitching to fall apart.) However, most makers today use either polyester or nylon thread to prevent such a thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts