Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying to find a Kahr PM45 my local gun dealer says he can get me a factory blemished one from a distributor in Texas. My dealer says he has no idea what the blemish might be but that it does have a complete factory warranty. Does anyone have any info about this practice? I did not think a gun manufacturer would sell a factory second. I wonder if they would cover the blemish under warranty and fix it? Thoughts ....

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Even though the factory might cover it, I wouldn't buy a gun I knew needed to go back for repair when I bought it...

·
Registered
357 Posts
Almost 100% certain the factory warranty would not cover the blemish. It's history is associated with the serial number. As with many higher end products that are serialized, when a cosmetic blemish occurs on an otherwise 100% product, it is often more cost effective for the manufacturer to sell it at a reduced price than to correct the blemish. This happens all the time with musical instruments. Factory blemishes can be incredible deals sometimes. Definitely at least worth checking out what the price difference is.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I recently purchased a blemished K9. It came with a sticker on the box that clearly indicated the fact. In addition Kahr stamps a B on the trigger guard. I think the blemish is a slight flaw in the radius cut on the top edge of the slide. The gun functions fine.

I wonder if they would cover the blemish under warranty and fix it?
No, that's why they stamp the B on the gun. The blemish may not be much of a factor however.

The price was less than a CW9. :danceban: Good deal? You decide.

Can you spot the blemish?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I say go for it; it will be a cosmetic issue, not a functional one. Nobody is going to intentionally let a functionally defective pistol leave the factory. Think about it.

It will probably be a small issue like Ripleys, maybe a machining mark or scratch. If its a carry gun, your going to get that anyway. Keep some cash in your pocket.

·
Administrator
143,812 Posts
It's going to get blemished anyway once you start hauling it around and practicing your draw and re-holstering.
A "cosmetic only" blemish would not bother me because a carry gun is a tool that never stays spanky new looking for very long anyway.

AKA If there was a bad snow storm and you went to the hardware to buy a snow shovel and they only had one left....would you not buy it because it had a scratch on it...when the very first thing you're going to do is go home and scrape it on the sidewalk? :biggrin2:

If you were buying the firearm as an investment gun then that would be a totally different story.
I'm certain that rather than pay an employee to disassemble the gun and then refinish it and reassemble it and then repack it and ship it back out again - that it's much more "cost effective" for them to eliminate the "man hours" and just reduce the price a bit and let it go with a superficial blemish.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
+1...go for it and save yourself some money.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
if it saves you money i dont see why you wouldnt go for it...its a gun...not a show piece...

now youve got me looking for blemished guns...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Maybe Kahr does sell blemished guns. If they actually mark the frames with a "B", I could believe that to be the case. However, I see others selling guns they are calling "blemished", but I think it may be a way for some dealers to list and sell pistols for less than the manufacturer-mandated "minimum advertised pricing". This is just speculation on my part though.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Keep in mind that there is "Factory Blemished" and there is "Oops, I dropped the gun on a concrete floor when I was checking it out and have to still sell it Blemished" Get the serial number and call the manufacturer for the history if there is any question on your mind.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I've been asked "Where is the blemish?" in the picture I posted.

I think it is a slight miss cut in the radiused corner, top, left of the slide. There is a less than perfectly smooth transition above the word KAHR, in particular above the A. This transition is very smooth on my T9. If I didn't have the T9 to compare to, I'd never know.

The stamped "B" on the trigger guard is also more apparent in the enlargement.

Here's a blown up pic of the area.

Here's how it shot on it's first range outting at 12 yards. At my age, with my eyes, that's as good as I get.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts