Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'll hopefully be taking my wife to the range for the first time today or tomorrow. I already plan on getting her into a basic handgun course before she even tries for a CCW, but I wanted to get her over to the range so that she had a bit better of an idea what it was she was getting into. I was going through some of the basics, when I noticed a gap in my own education. I was telling her about the concept of a failure to fire and that if she pulled the trigger and nothing happened, to just pause for 30-40 seconds with th gun still pointing downrange. Well, she asked, "Then what?" and honestly, I'm not sure.

I was trained in the military how to load, handle, and shoot safely. But when it came to problems, I was taught to "Raise my non-firing hand and wait for help" So my question is, what the heck do you do if a bullet does not fire when it is supposed to?

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
The simple answer Chance is:
Tap
Rack
Shoot if necessary.

Tap the bottom of the magazine sharply to be sure it's seated.
Rack the slide to the rear to eject the bad round and load a fresh one.
Reaquire the sights and shoot if necessary.

That's the answer for what to do in a gunfight.

There are many other things you need to learn in the event of a failure to fire. For example, what caused the failure? Was is a bad primer? Do you have a 'stovepipe' jam? Do you have a double feed? Did the round just fail to go into battery?

All of these scenarios have an answer as to what you should do. But they all come down to, Tap, Rack, Bang.

I'll allow some of our more erudite professors of things that go bang to explain further, as I'm sure they will.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
The above post pretty much hit it

I dont wait for 30-40 seconds thoug maybe 10-15 then tap rack the slide if the offending cartridge or stoppage isnt cleared with that then go from there.

·
Super Moderator
19,009 Posts
Tap-rack -bang is good advice. Just be sure to inform her, or watch carefully for a squib load.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,125 Posts
Ive been taught TAP BUMP RACK

Tap the magazine

BUMP the back of the slide with your off hand to make sure its seated, and then recock and shoot...

IF that dont work, then you RACK...

Practiced enough it is almost automatic and quicker. Many times the slide simply fails to go into battery for one reason or another. A simple bump to the back of the slide cures it.

Failing that, you dump the offending round and start from scratch.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Sound advice given.

The likelehood of a misfire actually going off delayed is very remote indeed but because it ''might'' happen, that drill is to allow time, just in case.

In combat terms this is obviously no use at all - so the totally miniscule risk must be taken, with clearance drills as folks have described.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe it's rimfire ammunition that you have to worry about "cooking" off after the primer has been struck. Centerfire ammuntion, like P95 says, is fairly stable. It'll fire when struck, or a real hammer is the next thing that'll set it off (maybe). The obligatory wait at the range is the safe way to go, IMHO, then eject the round into the spent brass barrel if they have one or far away as possible, while keeping the gun pointed downrange. Be safe...

·
Banned
318 Posts
Also be careful about that when shooting old milsurp ammo.

I've had some noticable hang fires from old .303 and some 7.62x54r.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, that was just the sort of info I was looking for. Thank you all.

I'm also starting to think the wait time was also taught in the military to make sure people stopped for a moment and thought about what they were doing, rather than just immediately turn to the instructor and say "It don't work, see..."

Fortunately we went through a hundred rounds and no failures to fire. A couple of failures to load, it appears that my CZ does not prefer flatter nosed bullets. A quick re-rack of the slide and no more problem, but something I am going to have to keep an eye on.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Chance - what ammo are you using?

There are a lot of HP rounds to choose from and tho very similar, there are instances where one will feed better than others. I find myself that Speer Gold Dots are very good feeders in most semi's.

Keep an eye on that for sure but - maybe change your selection of HP ammo, try others and see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts