Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 380 firearms that have so far proven to be 100% reliable with every ammo I have fed (8 different brands of steel and brass, FMJ and JHP). Ok, not exactly 100%, as there is this one anomaly that I can't figure out. As long as Fiocchi 95gr FMJ is not in the mix, both are 100% reliable - many hundreds of rounds through each. However, when Fiocchi 95gr FMJ is introduced into the rotation, one of the normally very reliable pistols will have at least one failure to load per magazine. The front of the round never quite makes it onto the barrel. It will shoot Wolf, Tula, PMC, Hornady, Aguilla, Colt, Federal, Perfecta without a hiccup...but not 95gr FMJ Fiocchi. When I stand one round up, side by side with the PMC (my favorite ammo)they appear near identical, except PMC is 90gr and Fiocchi is 95gr. The other 380 shoots this same Aguilla ammo without any issues.

Anyone have experience with this kind of unique ammo problem with a firearm that is 100% reliable with everything else you put in it?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
In 40 years of shooting I have never found a semi auto that would shoot "everything" 100%... and I don't expect them to. If I identify problematic ammo or problematic projectile type, I wont use it. I don't put a lot of thought into the "why" aspect of it. I will find 2 or 3 brand/types for each setting that work and I forget about all the rest.

I use Federal AE and SPEER lawman for range

I use Federal HST and 9bp for carry.

I'm done with ammo selections

·
Registered
20,047 Posts
After you fire a round, simply extract the magazine and after placing the weapon on safe.

You will notice the next round ready to feed is slightly more forward than the rounds underneath it.
This is normal. However, the round is moved slightly forward after it pops up by the bottom of the slide, and slide feed has something to do with how far forward it is. This pre positions it to be stripped off the feed lips in to the chamber.

Since slide speed determines feeding to an extent, its possible that the combined with the different pressure, length, and nose profile of the suspect brand, that is your culprit.

·
Super Moderator
19,876 Posts
As g-man alluded to, dimensional differences are the likely cause. The brass cases will be nearly identical, but to achieve different bullet weights within the same allowable overall length, the bullet profiles need to be different. Chances are the lighter bullet has more of a taper from its base to its nose, which will aid getting the bullet nose onto the feed ramp.

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you go on the Kahr forums you will read all about the Fiocchi. My G42 and LCP's do fine with it. My Kahr CW380 chokes on almost every round of Fiocchi. My Kahr does well with the other ones I use. I think it was mentioned that the rim is slightly thicker in width which creates some issues.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Some pistols don't like certain types/brands of ammo...and sometimes, it can just be one particular lot # of ammo.

Really, not an issue. Just avoid Fiocchi in that particular piece, and you should be fine.

And, I had a similar experience with a Colt New Agent; any 230gr ball, it ran 100%. 230gr HST, Gold Dot, Ranger-T, XTP, Golden Saber...no problems. 200gr Gold Dots & XTP's? Gobbled 'em up. 185gr Silvertips, Gold Dots, HydraShok, Golden Sabre? Asked for more.

185gr Barnes-X (by ANY manufacturer)? Choke. If the first round didn't hang up when charging the pistol (about a 50:50 occurrence), all subsequent rounds would fail to feed. After trying 3 different magazines from quality makers and getting the same result, I decided that no matter how much I liked the round, it simply wasn't gonna run in my pistol.

Funny thing, though--my buddy has a Colt Defender which is pretty much the exact same pistol...made about the same time as mine...and it has no issues with the Barnes.

Reactions: CWOUSCG

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
In 40 years of shooting I have never found a semi auto that would shoot "everything" 100%... and I don't expect them to. If I identify problematic ammo or problematic projectile type, I wont use it. I don't put a lot of thought into the "why" aspect of it. I will find 2 or 3 brand/types for each setting that work and I forget about all the rest.

I use Federal AE and SPEER lawman for range

I use Federal HST and 9bp for carry.

I'm done with ammo selections
True, but, I had one exception and that was a S&W 4506 that would feed anything. I got a lot of free ammo from friends with expensive 1911 platforms because of ammo that would not feed reliably in their guns. That gun would literally feed an empty case. I often wonder why they can't design a modern gun to do the same. I know shorter barrels and smaller parts make the issue worse overall but, still.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've found that the case design of Fiochi is slightly different than most all other major brands. The profile of the rim is just different enough that it won't fit the shell plate in my Lee press. That could be part of your problem.

I had a Sig P250 in 45ACP that wouldn't feed 230gr HST for some reason, but had no issue with anything else. Sometimes a gun just doesn't like something.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I got a batch of CCI Blazer 124 gr hardball 9mm that was bad double feeds on a Sig P229. I bought 2000 more rounds of it before i found out it was a bad lot of ammo.

·
Premium Member
6,415 Posts
How about sharing what model pistol is giving you problems?

I've never noticed any issues with Fiocchi in any of my .380's. The only consistent ammo-related problem I've found is that a couple of my .380's do not like steel-cased ammo of any kind.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
True, but, I had one exception and that was a S&W 4506 that would feed anything. I got a lot of free ammo from friends with expensive 1911 platforms because of ammo that would not feed reliably in their guns. That gun would literally feed an empty case. I often wonder why they can't design a modern gun to do the same. I know shorter barrels and smaller parts make the issue worse overall but, still.
I would rather have a pistol with tighter tolerances and greater accuracy that is limited to a few brands of ammo as opposed to a pistol with loose tolerances and less accuracy but will fire anything.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
My older LCP feeds everything except Hornady Critical Defense.
I have all kind of issues when using Hornady ammo, in 9mm, .40 or in .45, Hornady don't get along with any of my guns, it's a shame for so well establish ammo company, I use to say if a gun works with Hornady ammo it will work with any SD ammo.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
My M&P 45c has fed 6,000 rounds of everything under the sun with one failure (Winchester white box that was a light primer strike) but refuses to even load Brass Maxx ammo into the chamber.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I have all kind of issues when using Hornady ammo, in 9mm, .40 or in .45, Hornady don't get along with any of my guns, it's a shame for so well establish ammo company, I use to say if a gun works with Hornady ammo it will work with any SD ammo.
The only Hornady I use anymore is 223 TAP. Never a problem with it. No more Hornady handgun ammo for me though. Too many issues.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
My older LCP feeds everything except Hornady Critical Defense.
My Sig 238 won't either. A friend of mine has one that won't either.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts