Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My fingerprints have never been a problem for me either at the DMV or for my CHP in Colorado.

However, my wife had to go back for a second time to get her fingerprints properly done for her CHP. Apparently her fingerprints are so faint that they have had difficulty in getting "good" fingerprints for their records. While discussing this, in our family, we also learned that she must have passed along this trait to our son. Yes, our son, also had the same experience when he went to get his CHP.

It had not occurred to me that this kind of thin is a genetic trait that can and does get inherited but it is so.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
It can happen, and there are environmental reasons that could be at work also in some cases. I once printed a guy who was a stone mason and he had no identifing ridges, swirls, loops, etc. They had all been worn off with hard work over time.

·
Super Moderator
19,385 Posts
My ridge detail is so weak the only way to get good prints is with ink, every time I renew my FL permit I have to submit a second fingerprint card.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been told that using Corn Huskers brand of lotion will help overcome this issue. My wife had the same problem initially, and on the second try used this lotion. Got her permit shortly after, so in her case, it worked. Maybe!

Regards,

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I second the use of Corn Huskers. When I was in the Military Police we would sometimes have to use it to get a good read.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I had my finger prints taken electronically and they would not show. The deputy put some kind of oil in my fingertips and they showed up real clear. As you age your prints do no show as good as when you were younger.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
My ridge detail is so weak the only way to get good prints is with ink, every time I renew my FL permit I have to submit a second fingerprint card.
Interesting, i have exactly the opposite problem. My ridges are weak, and I can't ever get prints with ink. The only way to get them done is digital scans because the ink just turns into one oval shaped smudge for each finger.

My home city PD had a digital reader, but the gal couldn't get it to work (when will agencies quit using Windows???) and did ink prints. I had to come back the next week to get digital scans done.

I went to another agency (Sheriff) to do my prints for Arizona, and had an extra set printed (digital) which AZ took with no problem.

I went to Oregon for my permit there, and they took ink. Two weeks later, I had to mail them my extra digital set that I made for AZ.

When I went to Nevada, they did digital, and the first set was perfect.

With all this traveling around the country to do fingerprints, what I have yet to figure out what good they do. Aren't they on file with the FBI when you submit prints for a background check? Can't they just pull those up, since they're already verifying ID and running a criminal check? I mean, I can see it when you do the first permit, but after that...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I was told my finger prints had nearly completely faded when I went to submit my CHP application. The lady doing the work on me asked if I played guitar or video games. Apparently it's quite common.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
My home city PD had a digital reader, but the gal couldn't get it to work (when will agencies quit using Windows???) and did ink prints. I had to come back the next week to get digital scans done.
Trying to start a Windows v. Apple war? That is almost as bad as a caliber war or IWB vs OWB vs AIWB vs CC vs OC. You should know better.

Reactions: techieccw

·
Registered
46,054 Posts
Oy. The sad part is I suspect you're correct.
Yep, the new fingerprints of the 21st century. Don't even need a warrant to take a sample now.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I was told my finger prints had nearly completely faded when I went to submit my CHP application. The lady doing the work on me asked if I played guitar or video games. Apparently it's quite common.
Apparently duruing that period where texting got really popular before touchscreen phones, a huge number of people ages 12-25 didn't have thumb prints... or so I've heard. Between typing on a thumb-operated keyboard and playing video games, thumb prints were almost always worn off.

Trying to start a Windows v. Apple war? That is almost as bad as a caliber war or IWB vs OWB vs AIWB vs CC vs OC. You should know better.

:wave:

Who said anything about apples? I'm not hungry... :tongue:

Flightless bird Bird Penguin rubber ducky Beak

·
Registered
6 Posts
Texas CHL renewal fiasco

My wife has "weak" prints from years of handling computer paper and punch cards etc. Her chl was issued with no questions . We are now in the process of renewing. I applied online and all went well. My wifes app was rejected do to "insufficient quality". We had another set done at county S.O. , and they were rejected. In the notice we were told to go to a contract agency to have the prints done and sent in electronically. They were rejected also. Now we are being told to have them re-done at a contract agency "at no cost". We've spent over $50 in fuel, and other expenses so far, and they say "NO COST". To top it off, I just found information on the Texas DPS website that says photos and finger prints are NOT REQUIRED FOR renewals. What an ordeal ! We are near 70 years old, we may live to see her license renewed at this rate :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My wife has "weak" prints from years of handling computer paper and punch cards etc. Her chl was issued with no questions . We are now in the process of renewing. I applied online and all went well. My wifes app was rejected do to "insufficient quality". We had another set done at county S.O. , and they were rejected. In the notice we were told to go to a contract agency to have the prints done and sent in electronically. They were rejected also. Now we are being told to have them re-done at a contract agency "at no cost". We've spent over $50 in fuel, and other expenses so far, and they say "NO COST". To top it off, I just found information on the Texas DPS website that says photos and finger prints are NOT REQUIRED FOR renewals. What an ordeal ! We are near 70 years old, we may live to see her license renewed at this rate :)
My wife and I are 72. We both had to go to the local State Police post and it took them some work but them managed to get good prints. They had some fluid they used and it worked like magic. They printed them on cards for us so we could send them to Utah. Our ink prints looked like they were blotted on the paper with a sponge. Nothing recognizable in them at all.

I don't know if we touch something if there would actually be a usable print. I'm beginning to think finger prints are way over hyped. People my age are unlikely to leave any.

Fitch

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
My fingerprints have never been a problem for me either at the DMV or for my CHP in Colorado.

However, my wife had to go back for a second time to get her fingerprints properly done for her CHP. Apparently her fingerprints are so faint that they have had difficulty in getting "good" fingerprints for their records. While discussing this, in our family, we also learned that she must have passed along this trait to our son. Yes, our son, also had the same experience when he went to get his CHP.

It had not occurred to me that this kind of thin is a genetic trait that can and does get inherited but it is so.

I have fingerprinted extensively, both dead and live bodies. Women can be difficult because normally their fingers are smaller, the skin softer, and the ridges entremely fine and light. Too much ink will make a mess of trying to obtain a proper rendering...press too hard on paper or even electronic reading pads can flatten-out the ridges and the prints will appear nonexistent.

Bacially, it takes patience and delicacy to obtain good, readable femal prints.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
For those with faint fingerprints, there are a lot of job opportunities for which you were born waiting for you. Just gotta think out of the box (course you may end up in one).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.