1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I love the fact that they had to "hustle their granddaughter out of the room" as if it would magically come to life and start firing off rounds! Either it's a gross overreaction, or colorful journalism. I can't tell which!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I guess one persons horrified is another persons hearty chuckle while taking it in stride. If I ordered a toy plane and a rifle showed up I would do a little head shake and give that UPS driver a good xmas tip on his next delivery and see if he could work his magic again but I suppose I can understand others not so inclined reacting differently. I just skimmed the two articles referenced and the headline is somewhat inflammatory but I don't see a huge divergence between the two stories besides the ever maligned 'assault weapon' reference. 'Highly unusual incidents' happen in life and if someone makes a production of it then I suppose the media will take it and run with the story depending on their agenda.

Reactions: WrongRecroom

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
I do love the full panic ..I mean I get a gun in the mail ..Oh yeah oh yeah ..I mean really its not a darn snake people ...Its going to rear up and bite you

·
Registered
617 Posts
I might shed a tear or 2 when returning it. Wouldn't want criminal charges, or whatever would happen along those lines, for being in possession of firearm that wasn't mine - possibly even reported stolen...

The left media was obviously going to jump all over this and blow it out of proportion. It's what they do. "A New York couple was Horrified!!! when... give me a frickin break!

If you read the comments most of the people had enough common sense to see right through this

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Huh, I ALWAYS read the address label before opening, even if I am expecting something.
Yup, when Ted Kaczynski was doing his thing, I was paying attention.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not so much fake news IMHO. More likely the person reporting the story doesn't know the difference between a bolt action and a semi-automatic, like the vast majority of the population.

When my wife told me about this story, my first reaction was FREE GUN! :danceban: But then I realized I'd have to get it to the original owner. :smile:

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not so much fake news IMHO. More likely the person reporting the story doesn't know the difference between a bolt action and a semi-automatic, like the vast majority of the population.

When my wife told me about this story, my first reaction was FREE GUN! :danceban: But then I realized I'd have to get it to the original owner. :smile:
Fake is fake, be it through ignorance, maliciousness or, as I personally believe in many cases, a due admixture of both.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
I do love the full panic ..I mean I get a gun in the mail ..Oh yeah oh yeah ..I mean really its not a darn snake people ...Its going to rear up and bite you
One could only hope for a Python in Colt Royal Blue:35::35: :danceban:

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
My local post office delivered a holster to the wrong address some time back. My neighbor's teenage son ripped open the package without checking the address. The neighbor delivered the goods to my door with an apology.

As far as "fake news" goes, it's too bad George Carlin is not around to explain this whole phenomenon to us, like if somebody writes a fake, fake news piece, does that make it real? :wink:

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
My concern is for the real owner of the rifle. Are New York police going to see that it is returned to him or are they going to steal it? That rifle is not exactly inexpensive.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fake is fake, be it through ignorance, maliciousness or, as I personally believe in many cases, a due admixture of both.
I agree somewhat. But if all it took to be fake was ignorance, well, we'd all be fake. ;) Fake news as the term is currently being used needs to include intent to deceive. That intent may be for kicks or malicious purposes but the key is to deceive. There's a big difference between someone making a mistake in reporting and someone reporting a totally false story, intent.

·
Premium Member
36,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree somewhat. But if all it took to be fake was ignorance, well, we'd all be fake. ;) Fake news as the term is currently being used needs to include intent to deceive. That intent may be for kicks or malicious purposes but the key is to deceive. There's a big difference between someone making a mistake in reporting and someone reporting a totally false story, intent.
I personally concern myself more with outcome than with intention. In this case, AP misreported the facts and many of the major outlets picked it up. When correction time rolled around, one totally insignificant detail of the story was all they bothered with, if they bothered at all.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
According to Holden Caulfield we are all fake - well, phony anyway.

Reactions: bkent
1 - 20 of 25 Posts