Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Truthfully, I never fell out of love with the G29 10mm; rather, I've just been spending the majority of my daily carry time with my G17. I don't feel I'm compromising in any way carrying 17 rounds of 9mm. Insert your favorite "brand" or caliber as neither are the point of my musings.

I've been having the typical internal quandary about capacity vs. concealment, threat-stopping power vs. "control." Nothing new. But tonight I decided to weigh my loaded G17 and my loaded G29 side by side. The G17, due to the extra 7 round capacity, weighed a mustache hair more. What does this mean to me? I have the same holsters for both (Garret Industries STX 2.0). So I can carry 17+1 rounds of beautifully potent 135 gr. Hornady Critical Duty 9mm in the G17 (plus a back up mag if I want) or I can carry 10+1 rounds of ass-kicking yet easy-to-shoot Double Tap 165 gr. 10mm (and a back up mag) in a slightly thicker but easier-to-sit-and-drive-with G29. I can choose to carry hard cast ammo in both calibers in my back up mags too, in case I need to blast through a bad guy robbing a gas station and then go outside and shoot a bear trying to steal my lunch money.

The point here is that I have no point. Don't we live in a great country where we can carry anything we want!? Provided we live in the right state...

Go America! :haha:

·
Premium Member
4,085 Posts
I'm lovin the conundrum. Well articulated for not driving to a lot of specific points. Yep, it's a great place to find yourself, carry on.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The capacity discussion for EDC is often overly theoretical and highly hypothetical. There's absolutely nothing wrong with having the highest capacity possible (never wished I had fewer rounds in a gunfight"). But if you consider the statistics which point out most self defense shootings expend 1-3 shots max, 17+1 rounds seems like a lot of extra size and weight for EDC (again, no big deal as it's easy and comfortable with the right holster). Even still, I don't feel ill-prepared carrying just my S&W 642 pocket piece.

However, if I know I'm going to be in a busy public place, I favor capacity for sure. Recent terror attacks (outside and inside) demonstrate the wisdom in having more rounds at your disposal. That means 10+10 (second mag) or 17+17 (second mag). At that point, I'm more concerned about my choice in caliber and more importantly my training. It doesn't matter what caliber or quantity you have if you don't feel competent in hitting your target with a lot of frantic people running around.

My G29 offers me the best of both worlds. For a variety of reasons, I'm most accurate with it over all my handguns. The caliber is stout enough for just about anything and I can also carry a back up full size 15 round mag as it fits the 29.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
About a week ago I impulse-bought a used G36 in good condition. I couldn't resist for $370.

While I prefer 1911s and usually carry a Commander, the G36 may be the perfect CCW for me. For my frame, it's the exactly right size for deep concealment. The barrel is just short enough for a very comfortable AIWB carry, but it's still long enough to keep the grip pressed against my gut. Also, while the Commander prints a fair amount under a t-shirt, the G36 is invisible.

And it turns out I shoot it well.

The G36 seems to occupy a unique niche in the Glock line-up - barrel and grip larger than a G26/27, same barrel but shorter handle than a G19/23, but same thickness as G26/27/19/23/17 etc. Yes, it has a relatively low capacity - 6+1, but that is comparable to a 1911 Officer, which is really the closest competitor I have seen for it. I guess the other 'closest competitor' would be a G19/23 with the handle cut down to G26/27 dimensions. Those cut-down guns have about the same profile as a G36, but a larger magazine. I can now see myself potentially buying a G23 and cutting it down.

The point here is that also I have no point except I've been very pleased with the G36 and I think it has a unique place in the Glock lineup, which is ironic because it seems to be one of the less popular Glocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts