Defensive Carry banner

Family familiarity

1125 6
OK - this ain't CCW per se - more general firearm's useage. Guess it could be equally viable in General Gun Discussions.

Since getting step daughter to range and thinking on various factors after recent situations like NOLA - post Katrina - I am ever more of the opinion that we should ensure that our family members are 'aux fait' with most of our platforms.

I know for instance that my wife (and now to a degree step daughter) can operate usefully the AK. They also know enough to manage most handguns, tho semi's of full size still a bit of a challenge.

Strikes me as important that if need be - we could thrust this that or the other gun at them - in a hurry - with some ammo - knowing that they will not be finding problems over the mechanics - or the actual useage.

I will therefore be adding in some assorted platforms on future range visits and even if that proves difficult to achieve sufficiently - running thru at least the op' mechanics - to achieve a good understanding.

If luxuries permitted, I will also cover failure drills too and field stripping.

Me paranoid?? Nah!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Super Moderator
19,365 Posts
makes lots of sense. This is the reason I stick to similar semi autos for carry guns, training and use gives me familiarity with the platform. I have been trained to use revo's too, but picked semi's . I doubt I will own a revo for defensive use anymore.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.