Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My family has a reunon every couple of years. Last night was an organization meeting for it. I was the first to arrive and my cousin and I started talking. We have been having rather strange weather here for a few days so that topic came up. I made a statement that I would like some cold weather so I can try out some new cold weather gear I'm getting. This lead to talking about me shooting IDPA out of doors in all weather conditions. He isn't really a gun person so he asked about what types of guns are used. He asked about Glocks and I told him that Glock is a brand name and that I have two of them and a few others. What was ironic is that I had my 19 on my hip at that moment and I'm pretty sure my brother had his 27 on him when he arrived. No one knew. And I wasn't going to mention it. LOL

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
My family is pro gun and i carry at all family events.

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
So he was asking questions, sounds like an open door. You should invite him to one of your matches, or to the range. Always good to win over another family member. I took my whole family to the range when they came up for Christmas time. It was definitly good family memories.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok, so you guys that have non-pro-gun family's, how to you guys carry with huggy relatives?? My family is pro-gun and I carry around them all the time, but my in-laws, not so much.. Well, my father-in-law is, but not the mother.. 99% of the time it isn't a big deal as she wouldn't notice, but when it is time to go and it is hug time, that will be the issue for me.. Generally I would wear a snubbie so it has a small profile, but sometimes I have had my xd which can be easier to detect.. I have come up with some work arounds like getting to the car to "warm it up" and disarm real quick for hugs and then re-arm.. Or make sure my arms are lower then hers so she doesn't get close to it (which doesn't always work when she is about a foot shorter then you)..

I personally don't have an issue if she finds out I carry, but it would be a pain for the wife.. I don't want her to have to go through the freaking out from her mom.. And the "think about my grandchildren"..

Don't want to hijack, but was curious..

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ok, so you guys that have non-pro-gun family's, how to you guys carry with huggy relatives?? QUOTE]

I usually do the one armed half-hug w/ my weak side arm, that way i can keep my 4:00 at a distance. or the low armed hug forcing them to go high, or a firm handshake for my male relatives... all depends on who and the situation... i make it work though :yup:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I should clarify something. My cousin isn't an anti by any stretch. He just has other hobbies and activities.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I carry at all family functions. Family members and wifey have no idea. Its better for me this way. I'm pretty sure some of the spouses are anti's. Its sort of like the gays in the military thing, "Dont' ask Don't Tell."

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Of all my family (both sides) there is only one cop...we both like Glocks.:danceban:
All other family members are more 'anti' or just 'clueless':gah:...either way, I couldn't care less, and I carry everywhere. They assume I do, but have never said anything.:ziplip:

·
Registered
791 Posts
Not the 27 but my SP101.

:smile:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts