Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the annual family Thanksgiving dinner and had been there about 90 minutes when my niece (she is 24), happened to see my 9mm. I was OCing the entire time and never thought much of it.

Her eyes got REAL big and she asked if it was a gun? I thought for about 30 seconds about all of the answers I could say but just said yes. :wave: Her dad spoke up and said yes it is and he always carries. Her dad and I talked about it for about 10 minutes before we got back to the game.

:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
212 Posts
My mom's family would probably freak out if I was OCing at a family get together. My mom even freaks out at the thought of me carrying at all!

Can't wait for CC in WI so nobody will have to know that I carry. And of course so that I don't have to unload my weapon and put it in a case each time I get into a vehicle.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I carried at the family Thanksgiving dinner as well. It wasn't until the end of the evening that my mom noticed and in a little bit of a huff asked why I brought it. My response, "As Ft. Hood just showed, crazy can happen at any time, and you people are no exception" She rolled her eyes but replied, "Well I can't really argue with that" Heh......the holidays.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
We had a get together around Halloween. My dad had just bought a High Point .45 and was showing his brother when I arrived. I got out of the van and asked if this was the gun show. My cousin then pulls out his P3at and strikes some gangster style pose. So I sweep my jacket away from my G19. My uncle goes, "Alright Wyatt, settle down." When I got up to them I asked my uncle what he was carrying. He pulled up his sweatshirt and has a Ruger IWB. Safest family dinner on the block. :yup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
My family is a little on the dense side of things...half of them still don't know I carry even though I usually OC.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
My family and future in laws all are aware I carry, and it is old news now. They know that if I am awake and wearing clothes it is on me somewhere, just a non-issue. The in-laws were somewhat mystified at first because they thought of guns to be hunting and LE tools. I have slowly brought them around.
My mom used to give me "why you have to carry that thing all the time", I told her, I paid almost a 1000 bucks for gear and license, and it will not sit in a drawer or glove box. I deal with bad people on a daily basis (probation and parole officer) and have sent lots of them to prison, leaving me open to retribution at any time. Given my chosen profession, I am also more apt to notice a bad or dangerous situation before the regular joe, and given my personality, I will be more likely to intervene to protect the life of another or myself. I carry VERY concealed, and nobody is aware of its presence, therefore it is just like the spare tire on my truck, the redundant security of it all is always there regardless of whether I ever need it or not. She doesnt bother me anymore. Dad wnats his CCP, just hasnt taken time to apply and get it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I CC all the time and family gatherings and church are no different.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Probably 90% of the people on DC were carrying this Thanksgiving. :) Me included!

It was a pretty laid-back affair this year at my grandma's house. Grandma knows I carry and doesn't care one way or another; it was her husband (my childhood idol) who gave me my first rifle as a young boy.

As was posted above, crazy happens everywhere and without warning.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Probably 90% of the people on DC were carrying this Thanksgiving. :) Me included!
In my case it wasn't necessary. The "perp" in question was already dead. :wave:

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Was Thanksgiving any different that any other day of the year?:confused:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some of my family don't know that I carry and I only see them once or twice a year.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Was Thanksgiving any different that any other day of the year?:confused:

·
Registered
631 Posts
I carry every day. When I'm at home it's usually OC. When I first started carrying my family didn't notice. Then my younger bro came up to me one day and mentioned it. My older bro probably doesn't know since I haven't seen him in years. Since then NO ONE has said anything except my mom once.

She commented that she doesn't even notice anymore if I'm visibly armed or not. Said it's just such a part of me and my apparel that there's nothing unusual to "see."

Which to my mind is total acceptance and trust about my carrying a deadly weapon in her house.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I guess I was/am the exception. I did not carry, and never have at a family dinner whether it was attended by a lot or a few. I don't carry at home or in another's home.

If I had gone out to a restaurant I would have carried unless they serve alcohol. That would make it illegal.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess I was/am the exception. I did not carry, and never have at a family dinner whether it was attended by a lot or a few. I don't carry at home or in another's home.

If I had gone out to a restaurant I would have carried unless they serve alcohol. That would make it illegal.

Regards,
Jerry
Lets hope then that you and your are one of the lucky ones and never have a crasher. :wave:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OC'ing

:image035:I almost always OC at home. I have had as many as 50 people (baseball team picnic) at my place and there were no problems.

There were babies as young as 4 months to people in their 70s and no one freaked out.:gah:

I believe that there were at least 5 of us carrying.:boese51:

Some of the kids asked about the us carrying but it was only idle talk.:hand10:

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm always carrying, and I vary between open & concealed around the house - usually depending on whether I plan on going out. As for Thanksgiving - we host dinner, and AFAIK, everyone in the family knows I carry. I still chose to stay concealed, because knowing I carry and seeing it are two different things, and even though they know I carry, some family members may be a bit uncomfortable actually SEEING it. Why make Thanksgiving dinner uncomfortable for them?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Lets hope then that you and your are one of the lucky ones and never have a crasher. :wave:
Thanks, Charlie.
If I do get a crasher I will invite him to dinner, and when he was full he would be so happy he would thank me and go away.

But if he did not I would have had time, while he was eating, to get my gun out of the safe, remove the trigger locks, load it, and shoot. Oh! I would have dialed 911 before I went to the safe. I also hope I could remember the safe combination under such stress.:wave::smile:

Of course you know that the reason he crashed in is that he was hungry, and discriminated against.:smile:

One reason I don't worry about such things, you see, is that I am such a sweet guy.

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 23 Posts