Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traveled to NC to visit family over Christmas and my Father-in-Law surprised me yesterday. He had not shot a handgun since Vietnam until several months ago when he and I began doing a little shooting in the woods and he expressed an interest in purchasing a semi-auto for home defense. We shot some of my revolvers and semis (Ruger P95 and Taurus PT709) and he liked the smaller 9mm. Yesterday he suggested we go shoot a few and he pulled out a new purchase that he had made. A Taurus PT111 Millenium 9mm semi-auto. We shot about 50 rounds through it and I must say I was quite impressed with this pistol. A tad wider and heavier than the Slim with a mag extension, and it was very comfortable to shoot and handle. A true DAO semi with a bit longer and harder trigger pull, but fine once used to. I seemed to shoot it better one handed than two for some reason. I was very impressed with this pistol and I was impressed that he went shopping for it and found something that fit him and he was comfortable with. I read the book and showed him how to break it down and it was easily taken apart and put back together. A nice weapon indeed. I was somewhat envious, but I have become accustom to the PT709 trigger. I put another 100 rounds through the PT709 (Winchester white box) and it maintains it's flawless performance. My father-in-law shot my S&W 442 and after two rounds handed it back and said it was too snappy for him. I think he will enjoy his new purchase and I think I will enjoy helping him get used to it...I gave him a box of target ammo and suggested he shoot it enough to become familiar with the feel. Another good family holiday story.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
That's great! I have a PT111 and love it.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Great Story! Glad your FIL is getting back into shooting...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Good read. Thanx

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Nothing better than shairing things. Good read!

Craig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts