Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast Acting Officer

9K views 157 replies 36 participants last post by  OD* 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Nice burst fire by the leo. Perfect example of the "shoot them to the ground" mentality.
It worked as intended. The threat stopped....I still hold to that mentality.....

#9 ·
That sounded like 10 Lawyers worth right there..........so if the officer had the assailants gun in hand and shot him with his own weapon.....wasn't the threat gone.....Whoa, he emptied the mag.

#21 ·
And like many of us, might he have been carrying two guns? More to the point. Are you willing to bet your life on it in the fraction of a second you have to decide to shoot or not?

A lot of your assumptions here are mainly because you've never been there or done that.

#11 ·
.....looks like after the weapon was taken, should have been a foot chase..... just sayin'.....Hmmm....Grand Jury.

#12 ·
I'm not so sure.....after watching the video 4 times I don't think that the guy was in a mood to run........just sayin :embarassed:...

Reactions: Chicagobill
#13 ·
Once he was disarmed during the scuffle....who shot ? One of the LEO's....? Then the other unloaded on this guy with his weapon....looked like he had his back turned to the LEO's.....I dunno....this got messy real fast with the LEO on tape sayin' he shot him with his own gun.

Reactions: Chicagobill
#14 ·
Uh, armed convicted felon who is reaching for a loaded firearm and attempting to escape after being ordered to stop and put up his hands? How does any officer know he doesn't have a bug or knife etc.? The perp had a loaded weapon when he is prohibited AND the clear choice to surrender and be taken into custody without any threat of injury. So he chose wrong.

There was no clear break in the continuity of the action and the perps behavior to cause the officers to re-assess. Had he put his hands up or made any motions to indicate surrender you might have a point. He clearly did not.

#15 ·
Couldn't tell if he was reaching for it or he haphazardly lifted his shirt and exposed it to LE.......before he took off....the officers grabbed, scuffled with him and disarmed him....then it appears he was gunned down....I dunno....messy.

#16 ·
Hard to tell from the video which gun was used or why. Perhaps things will become more clear as the investigation progresses.

Reactions: AzQkr
#17 ·
IMO.....can't see it being too good when the LEO is stating he shot him with his own gun after he took it...Hmmm.
Maybe if the perp was shot during the scuffle / CQB with his own gun....but, but, but he was shot across the parking lot...and maybe even in the back...I dunno.....messy!

#18 ·
My take on it was that the BG's gun went off some small number of times - 1 to 3 during the scuffle and then the other officer mag dumped his own gun thinking his partner had been shot at/not knowing who had control of that gun. Not sure if that makes things better, worse or no change. Just the impression I got from reading some of the coverage.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
My take on it was that the BG's gun went off some small number of times - 1 to 3 during the scuffle and then the other officer mag dumped his own gun thinking his partner had been shot at/not knowing who had control of that gun.
That's the $$$$$$$ question ?

#23 ·
I'm convinced more dindu's need to be dealt with exactly like this when they threaten leo's lives. Actions should have severe consequences as this dindu found out, now he can rest cold, one less dindu on the street who would eventually try to kill another leo.

#26 ·
Well, "I'm guessing" is an assumption, we don't know that for sure. As most of the retired LEO's here will probably tell ya....some folks see cops and they run....dumb as it is, they do it all the time.

#31 ·
I'll wait for the investigation to clear the officer.

From what I read and saw (which may not tell the entire story), Sanchez bolted, the officer caught him, disarmed Sanchez during the struggle, and then shot Sanchez with Sanchez's weapon (perhaps unintentionally?). Then it seems the other officer started shooting.

Query - did Sanchez go for his gun? Or did the officer disarm Sanchez and during the disarm fire Sanchez's weapon, which caused the other Officer to start firing?

I wasn't there, so I'll just go with what the investigating body finds.

#32 ·
It does look like right before he bolted his left hand went for the front of his waist.

I did still frame (as best I could) from 1:02 until the shooting and I cannot see Sanchez's left hand at any time until 1:07. Sounds like a shot around 1:06.

Then the other office opens up.

Real poop show, but it's tough to second guess the officers. For all I know the second officer may have thought his partner just got shot.

#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
Little to no time to react once Sanchez lifted his shirt exposing his weapon, but I'd like to see him tazed at that point.

Either way, don't resist when you show your weapon. NO MATTER WHAT. Clean shooting IMHO.

Reactions: RolandD
#36 ·
I'm not a cop, no lawyer, I'm not Judge, I don't have all the facts and I wasn't there!
I don't want to say who did what because I can't see who did what, I only see from the cops cam and the audio. There is too much we don't know for me to form an opinion from anything other than what I saw. I will just restate what I was taught from my ccl, "When I must, fire until the threat is stopped." I am not that cop, I don't know what he saw, heard, felt and was trained.
That being said, tactically, that was one hell of a fast reaction though.

#38 ·
Seems like many are assuming that the officer who mag dumped was holding the suspect's gun. That has not been established. One of the officers appears to have fired the suspect's gun during the struggle, based on the commentary. The guy who ended the threat may or may not be that same officer. Best to wait for judgment on this one...

#40 ·
After looking at the video and clicking the play button constantly I can see that during the struggle next to the car, there was a shot.. no idea whos gun it came from. Then the BG was forced down to the ground and that's when the barrage of shots started. I can see the shots started whent he BG was still on the ground at the officers feet. Then with the shots continuing, he runs away and falls to the ground about 20 ft from the officers. After he was down 2-3 more shots are fired from the BGs gun.

What we don't know is why the officer started shooting after the intial shot. If the BG still had his gun and got that first shot off during the struggle then the officer got his weapon from him, at that point BG was unarmed.. We don't know of any other potential weapons the BG may have had on him but the officers never stated there was during the rest of the video. The officer admits shooting the BG with the BGs gun.

If there are no new facts then to me it was a bad shoot. Once the BGs gun was taken, as someone stated earlier, it should have been a foot chase.. It's a tough call for the officers because with the adreniline flowing and I am sure in the back of their minds they were concerned about another possible weapon.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The good thing ofcourse is that the officers were not injured. They have a tough job each day they are out there on patrol risking their lives especially with LEO's getting ambushed so much recently.

EDIT: I just thought of this.. not sure if this law exists in Utah but there is a state (Not sure which one) that has a deadly force law for LEO's that states LEO's can use what ever amount of force they feel is needed to "apprehend" a suspect. This law was put to the test when two officers (one car) got a call of a break in. When they got there one officer stayed at the car and was on the radio when the other officer went around back. Once the officer turned the back corner of the house they saw someone running.

After they announced themselves and telling that individual to stop, he did not. He proceeded to climb a fence trying to evade the officer. The officer shot the (I believe) 12yo boy in the back of the head killing him. It's been awhile since I read this but I believe there was no evidence of a weapon on the boy. No charges filed.

I wonder if such law exists in the state where this happened. If so, I can't see the officers getting charged..

Reactions: xXxHeavy
#41 ·
After looking at the video and clicking the play button constantly I can see that during the struggle next to the car, there was a shot.. no idea whos gun it came from. Then the BG was forced down to the ground and that's when the barrage of shots started. I can see the shots started whent he BG was still on the ground at the officers feet. Then with the shots continuing, he runs away and falls to the ground about 20 ft from the officers. After he was down 2-3 more shots are fired from the BGs gun.

What we don't know is why the officer started shooting after the intial shot. If the BG still had his gun and got that first shot off during the struggle then the officer got his weapon from him, at that point BG was unarmed.. We don't know of any other potential weapons the BG may have had on him but the officers never stated there was during the rest of the video. The officer admits shooting the BG with the BGs gun.

If there are no new facts then to me it was a bad shoot. Once the BGs gun was taken, as someone stated earlier, it should have been a foot chase.. It's a tough call for the officers because with the adreniline flowing and I am sure in the back of their minds they were concerned about another possible weapon.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. The good thing ofcourse is that the officers were not injured. They have a tough job each day they are out there on patrol risking their lives especially with LEO's getting ambushed so much recently.

EDIT: I just thought of this.. not sure if this law exists in Utah but there is a state (Not sure which one) that has a deadly force law for LEO's that states LEO's can use what ever amount of force they feel is needed to "apprehend" a suspect. This law was put to the test when two officers (one car) got a call of a break in. When they got there one officer stayed at the car and was on the radio when the other officer went around back. Once the officer turned the back corner of the house they saw someone running.

After they announced themselves and telling that individual to stop, he did not. He proceeded to climb a fence trying to evade the officer. The officer shot the (I believe) 12yo boy in the back of the head killing him. It's been awhile since I read this but I believe there was no evidence of a weapon on the boy. No charges filed.
I wouldn't take that as gospel on the street. That assumption could be a fatal mistake.

#47 ·
Question for you leo guys. It was mentioned earlier in this thread that a tazer could have been used after the bg lifted his jacket and started resisting. Once the officers saw the gun wouldn't that escalate the situation beyond using a taser? would you as a leo want to have a taser in your gun hand while the bg still had his gun on him??

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.