Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Salt and sugar are in almost every packaged and process foods. Now why would you need sugar in a package of store bought taco seasoning ?
Homemade ketchup without sugar or salt is delicious.
A good diet can simply be new healthy taste sensations with none of the additives. I drink only water, coffee and occasional beers now. I've banished sugar and processed foods. No pasta and very rarely bread. Intermittent fasting.I've lost fifty pounds since November.
I eat very well but I'll have to work on the salt intake.

Edit to add: IWB carry has become immensely more comfortable and concealable with my single clip hybrid Protos-M .
An undershirt is still used for my plain kydex IWB holsters but I don't use them much any more.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
While I was in the Corps, the regs stated that at 6'2" my max weight was 214#. Until I made Cpl...no problem. Then I started weight training to bulk up for competition in the PKA (Professional Karate Association). Well, I went up to 240# (18" neck, 52" chest, & 33" waist). I had to jump through hoops to get a weight waiver every time I changed duty stations. My point is: your weight isn't the only determining factor.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
While I was in the Corps, the regs stated that at 6'2" my max weight was 214#. Until I made Cpl...no problem. Then I started weight training to bulk up for competition in the PKA (Professional Karate Association). Well, I went up to 240# (18" neck, 52" chest, & 33" waist). I had to jump through hoops to get a weight waiver every time I changed duty stations. My point is: your weight isn't the only determining factor.
Clearly, the Fat Man Program (that's what the army called it during my time there) isn't for everybody.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
102 Posts
The biggest thing with losing weight is eating less calories. Eating lots of leafy veggies(not covered in sauce or oil) will fill you up more(for the calories) than more "filling foods". For instance you could have 11 cups of raw spinach or 1 slice of white bread. The 11 cups of spinach will certainly fill you up more.

The best tip I can give is to do it slow and steady. Instead of cutting 2000 calories a day, just eat slightly smaller portions week after week until you start seeing the pounds come off the scale. At that point stick to what you have been eating until the weight loss starts to taper off, then cut the portions down a little bit again. This doesn't have to be an insane cut. For instance, lets say your lunch is usually 3 sandwiches, cut it down to 2.5 sandwiches.

In addition, at your weight, I wouldn't try running or anything like that, but if you have access to a bike, going for light rides for 5-10 min a day to start, slowly working up to 20+ min rides would be awesome. Going for walks(5-10 min working up to 20+ min) would be a great place to start.

If you have any questions related to training/diet. Feel free to ask. This is one of the few topics related to defensive carry that I have a lot of knowledge in and would love to help(this goes for anyone on here, not just OP). Once you lose a few pounds and have a solid cardio base(being able to go for 20-30 min brisk walks), we can start incorporating some addition cardio, weights, calisthenics, etc. if that is something you are interested in.

I have helped a lot of people lose a ton of weight in the past and personally have done a lot of training/competing in powerlifting, MMA, and all sorts of endurance events(crossfit, 5ks, etc).

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
The biggest thing with losing weight is eating less calories. Eating lots of leafy veggies(not covered in sauce or oil) will fill you up more(for the calories) than more "filling foods". For instance you could have 11 cups of raw spinach or 1 slice of white bread. The 11 cups of spinach will certainly fill you up more.

The best tip I can give is to do it slow and steady. Instead of cutting 2000 calories a day, just eat slightly smaller portions week after week until you start seeing the pounds come off the scale. At that point stick to what you have been eating until the weight loss starts to taper off, then cut the portions down a little bit again. This doesn't have to be an insane cut. For instance, lets say your lunch is usually 3 sandwiches, cut it down to 2.5 sandwiches.

In addition, at your weight, I wouldn't try running or anything like that, but if you have access to a bike, going for light rides for 5-10 min a day to start, slowly working up to 20+ min rides would be awesome. Going for walks(5-10 min working up to 20+ min) would be a great place to start.

If you have any questions related to training/diet. Feel free to ask. This is one of the few topics related to defensive carry that I have a lot of knowledge in and would love to help(this goes for anyone on here, not just OP). Once you lose a few pounds and have a solid cardio base(being able to go for 20-30 min brisk walks), we can start incorporating some addition cardio, weights, calisthenics, etc. if that is something you are interested in.

I have helped a lot of people lose a ton of weight in the past and personally have done a lot of training/competing in powerlifting, MMA, and all sorts of endurance events(crossfit, 5ks, etc).
Put another way, a bowl of ice cream before bed time required me to ride an additional twelve miles on the bicycle to negate the calories.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Put another way, a bowl of ice cream before bed time required me to ride an additional twelve miles on the bicycle to negate the calories.

This is exactly it. Great example. Thank you. This is where the saying "it is impossible to out train a bad diet" comes from. Yes there are some absolute genetic specimens who train literally all day and are able to eat massive amount of calories like Mike Phelps or Manny Pacquiao without puting on much weight, but these guys are the .0001% genetic guys on top of spending all day training. For people with jobs or just don't have the time to do intense training all day, it is just not possible.

·
Premium Member
1,840 Posts
@bodan399 has it right on. Listen to him, imo. That's what has worked for me to maintain a healthy weight -- less portions, slow and steady, try to cut out empty calories, and exercise.
For me, it's lots of brisk walking/hiking. I do at least 2 miles a day here in the mountains.
I've never been really heavy, but was up to 215 (5' 11") at one point. I've been at 180 - 185 now for 4 years and keep it that way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Solid advice here. Especially to bodan399. I really appreciate your time. That is exactly what I’m doing. I’ve actually lost weight 3 times on low carb diets. It’s obvious I’m not going to maintain that. I am currently logging all of my calories and just trying to stay a little hungry in between meals with no snacking. I exercise often as is but my genetics allow me to gain weight by watching other people eat. But I dam sure eat too much. For now, The only thing I’m cutting out is sugar and deserts. Especially pop. I’m drinking water. I’m just naturally a big guy to begin with. I’m still 280 in my skinny pic on the first page. I’m really healthy at 240-250 and that’s where I’d like to live my life at. I’m very strong and want to maintain my strength. I’m currently 38 years old, 6’ and 380... This is the first time I’m not in any race to get the weight off. I just want the trend to turn the other way.

I’d like to see some real progress by my 40th birthday, more so to learn healthy habits by then.

Thank you all again, very much!

Todd

·
Registered
102 Posts
Solid advice here. Especially to bodan399. I really appreciate your time. That is exactly what I’m doing. I’ve actually lost weight 3 times on low carb diets. It’s obvious I’m not going to maintain that. I am currently logging all of my calories and just trying to stay a little hungry in between meals with no snacking. I exercise often as is but my genetics allow me to gain weight by watching other people eat. But I dam sure eat too much. For now, The only thing I’m cutting out is sugar and deserts. Especially pop. I’m drinking water. I’m just naturally a big guy to begin with. I’m still 280 in my skinny pic on the first page. I’m really healthy at 240-250 and that’s where I’d like to live my life at. I’m very strong and want to maintain my strength. I’m currently 38 years old, 6’ and 380... This is the first time I’m not in any race to get the weight off. I just want the trend to turn the other way.

I’d like to see some real progress by my 40th birthday, more so to learn healthy habits by then.

Thank you all again, very much!

Todd

No problem man. Feel free to ask away if you think of any questions or get stuck down the road. Honestly, if you drink a lot of pop. Just cutting that out will melt quite a few pounds off. Keep counting calories, that is honestly the best way to really lose those pounds. Cutting out the sugar and desserts really will help as well.

One of the big things with low carb diets is when you aren't eating many carbs you end up losing a lot of water weight. So as soon as you start eating them again, some of the weight comes right back on. A lot of trainers and snake oil salesman love pushing low carb diets because people will lose quite a bit of weight in the first few weeks(mainly water) and then they think they struck gold with the program.

I am not a fan at all of them because you don't have nearly as much energy to be able to train on low carb diets(some people do swear by them and end up running marathons and stuff on them, but I personally think they would be better off on a regular diet).

The best habit I can give for staying healthy is eating mainly unprocessed foods. The general idea is to eat things that grew in the ground(veggies, fruits, rice, Oats,etc.), walked, swam, or flew.

Also, if you ever stop losing weight, even while counting calories, it may be because you aren't being precise(very very common) and you may want to pick up some measuring cups and a scale. And start weighing and measuring everything you eat(you would only have to do this for a week or 2 in order to get the hang of it before going back to eyeballing things).

·
Registered
563 Posts
Was 215 or below until my ankle failed. These days, way north.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I was extremely fit until around 40 years old. Training for the Olympics fit.
5'8" and weighed 145 lbs from 8th grade until late 20's training as a marathon runner and martial arts. Then switched to road cycling, put on 5 lbs in each thigh bringing me up to 155.
Now 60 years old. Still 5'8". But my body is worn out. Arthritis is a real (endorphin) buzz-kill. Genetics delt it's hand with coronary artery issues (Moms side).
So I'm nearly twice the man I once was, now 275 lbs, which doesn't help the arthritic knee.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
617 Posts
Here I thought we were going to talk motorcycles. I guess you know what's on my mind. :smile:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Genetics does play a part as patkelly4370 points out. I had a heart attack at age 59 which was two years later than the one that killed my maternal grandfather. I had been aware of the issue and exercised daily and followed the low-fat dietary strategy the government (FDA Food Pyramid), the AMA, big pharma, and the food industry endorsed. BIG MISTAKE!

I was failing to maintain a healthy weight; nay, reach a healthy weight by following their low-fat dietary strategy. It took some internet research to discover that the real dietary villain was not saturated fats but a combination of carbohydrates - SUGARS and STARCHES. Too many of these simple carbohydrates trigger insulin dumps that lead to weight gain. Counting calories is not as effective as counting net carbohydrates, because there is a big difference between 2000 calories derived from simple carbs vs. those from complex carbohydrates.

It is not how much is going into the "pie hole" but what is being swallowed.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I didn't go on a "diet" per se. I merely changed my eating habits (i.e. what I eat, the portion size and the time I stop eating). It's like that interment fasting process. I eat between a specific time of the day (12 noon until 7 pm) and I watch what I eat (no processed foods or drinks whatsoever and I drink more water no sodas etc.). I do have a sweet tooth and have to watch that constantly. :image035:

I Developed this mindset a few months back speaking with my doctor. I love what she said; "Stay away from everything in the isles (canned and processed packaging foods etc.) and shop around the isles (i.e. vegetables and fruits)." I also eliminated fried foods and eat more baked and broiled meats and vegetables. The weight has been falling off me considerably and I love it! In a short time span, I've dropped about 25 1bs so far.

YOU CAN DO IT!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I was well over 260. Joined WW . Lost 80 LBS. That was pretty easy. Kept it off for 8-10 years now. It’s hard. Every day is a struggle. I can’t say how I do it but, I do. I just got tired of being the fattest guy in the room.
Good point. I think some temptations never totally go away. Those can be different for each of us. Mine is late evening snacking. Starting around 7 to 8pm , I get an increased urge to snack until I'm asleep in bed. I just keep having to tell myself no over and over again. Brushing my teeth right after dinner seems to help.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Good point. I think some temptations never totally go away. Those can be different for each of us. Mine is late evening snacking. Starting around 7 to 8pm , I get an increased urge to snack until I'm asleep in bed. I just keep having to tell myself no over and over again. Brushing my teeth right after dinner seems to help.
That’s the hardest time.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Who cares what someone thinks. Conceal means nobody but you, and maybe your significant other, know you're carrying. The less capable you look, the better to blend in until you draw and fire.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts