Defensive Carry banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,133 Posts
Diets are not long term effective - any of the plans (Medifast, etc.) require significant dietary changes at the end of the plan when ya reach your target weight - for a lot of people, that's very tough - especially if you're older with established eating habits and negative lifestyle patterns. What helped me (70 years old, 6', was 245, now at 205) was 1) a significant and drastic reduction (but not elimination) of anything with carbs - dinner's are now salad and meat \ fish of some kind, without any rice or pasta or potatoes - 2) absolutely no sodas with corn syrup - 3) no sugar \ artificial sweetener in coffee - 4) exercise - I ride a bike, strenuously, for an hour each day and walk when I can - if I could still job, I'd do that
I don't anticipate my diet changing much, if at all. I have been eating the same way for two years now. I have upped my exercise regimen a bit with the warm weather. Mashed potatoes and rice are two of my mainstay sides, along with lots of fruit and vegetables. Again, I don't see that changing any. Sodas will never return to my diet, nor will red meats or snack crap.

At this point, I don't really have a target weight. It has become more a matter of physical conditioning. At age 64, my level of overall health and fitness is the best it has been since around 1993, when I decided cigarettes and an alcoholic lifestyle were the way to go. Since that time, I have eliminated the cigarettes and the alcohol, as well as the weight I put on when I joined the trucking industry in 1999, when I weighed what I weigh now. I've been averaging about twenty miles per day on the bicycle, and about four miles per day of walking.

·
Premium Member
34,133 Posts
Interesting thread, I have never deliberately tried to lose weight but at 5’6” and 205 I decided that was too much. My weight now fluctuates between 179-183 and I guess that depends on my fluid intake. I used to drink 4-5 Cokes each day but I now don’t care for the sweet after taste but I still love the taste of the carbonation so I have switched to the sparkling waters instead. I don’t care for many processed foods preferring to doing my own cooking but being single I run into a problem finding recipes sized for one but the internet is a great source and I have found cookbooks at Amazon with recipes for one or two. As far as salt for me I have found it has very little effect on me but I do keep a salt pig by the range so I can just grab a pinch if I want it. I normally have a not quite large lunch and a smaller supper. About the only snacks are kippers, sardines, cheese and crackers. I currently wear 38 inch pants but I can squeeze into 36s but right now they are a bit snug but I’m working on it.
Nicely done. My weight fluctuates within a two-pound range daily. That range keeps going down. This month, it is between 176 and 174.

My snacks are cole slaw and no fat cottage cheese.

I've lost the taste for not only soft drinks but also salt, sugar, and red meat. I'm not depriving myself of anything. There are simply foods I know longer care for or consume.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I've committed to it.
Down from 313 to 303 to 292 ..... should be in the 280's at the next check.
Goal is to get under 220, then let it slide a little and try to stay in the 220's for the rest of my days.

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Premium Member
7,682 Posts
I've lost about 7 pound since posting three months ago. It's a slow process, unlike it was when I was in my 30's or even early 40's.

I still have an occasional candy or baked sweets. Last night my youngest was bored and made chocolate chip cookies. What's a father to do???

For me it's simply been cutting down the volume of food I eat, reducing snacks, and increasing cardio.

But at this age one needs to be careful when exercising. After 400 miles of running this spring, I developed extensor tendonitis in my left foot. So now I'm taking a week off from running, and I'm relegated to long walks once a day, which is fine.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Do you eat chicken or pork?
Yes. If you ate a freshly killed chicken you'd probably be ok I'm not advocating eating raw chicken you have sitting on the counter half a day. Pork??? Last I checked there were maybe less then 10 cases in the entire USA of trichiwhatever??
I'm not saying to go out and eat everything raw just saying if it's been over processed you probably shouldn't be eating it. Sushi??

61 - 66 of 66 Posts