Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is your favorite, most reliable .22 LR pistol. I've been thinking about adding the Ruger SR22 to my collection, but have heard of some reliability issues.

It will only be used for a cheap plinking range toy so I guess reliability isn't such a huge thing.

What is your favorite .22 plinker?

·
Registered
478 Posts
My favorite and my most reliable are two different guns.

The favorite is my Sig Mosquito. Feeding and firing have been reliable but the slide suffered a catastrophic failure. I had to replace it with a GSG Firefly slide.

My most reliable is the M&P22C and M&P22 Fullsize. Boring reliability and accurate enough for plinking fun.

·
Administrator
143,583 Posts
The S&W Model 41. :king:

My favorite 22 long gun would be the lightweight, ugly, 100% flawless functioning...cheap looking Remington Nylon 66.

The SINGER SEWING MACHINE of rimfire rifles. :rofl: Lowly unstoppable king of plinkers.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Taurus TX22.

Reactions: Kenny53

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
My S&W M&P 22 Compact will shoot crappy ammo that would choke in my 10/22!

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I really like my Ruger MkIII 22/45. Very accurate, very reliable and not too picky about what ammo it's fed.

BUT...

That thing is a nightmare to disassemble/reassemble.

A pal has a Browning Buckmark and if I had it to do over again, that's what I'd have instead.

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
The Browning designed Colt Woodsman is my favorite of the ones I own.

I admire the Smith & Wesson Model 41 most of all.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Ruger Mk ll

Always been a fan of the S&W Mod 41...just have never bit the bullet and bought one...although, I have been VERY close on a couple of occasions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a lot of .22 l.r. handguns and my most accurate and reliable semi auto handguns have been two Hammerli pistols. Most rimfire problems are caused by poor ammo quality where there isn't enough primer compound in the rim.

Hammerli International 208 and 212, both probably an overkill for the wallet of the occasional shooter.

·
Super Moderator
19,380 Posts
The Ruger "Marks" do it for me - I own two Mk II Targets and a Mk II 22/45. Reliable as the day is long.

S&W 41 is on the wish list, though!

Not a fan of the double-action .22 pistols, though. I've seen too many choke in our monthly .22 steel matches, although I suspect the majority of stoppages stem from indifferent choice of ammunition. I'll stick with the single-action autos for reliability.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts