Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Administrator
143,475 Posts
One of my 41s got the flat grips treatment and then I dyed the wood bright orange. :gah:

I really do need to strip them and stain them a more natural color.

The older and more vintage magazines sell for quite a premium but, the newer ones function just fine.

The rimfire competition shooters believe that there is some sort of jinx on the newer magazines.:blink:

I sold off quite a number of my older magazines for really nice $$$ but, I still have about 10 or 11 in addition to some later ones.

They shoot/function exactly the same to me. :yup:

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
My favorite is also my most accurate (by a mile) - the Ruger MkII in SS with 7+in barrel. It's not even close.

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
My favorite is also my most accurate (by a mile) - the Ruger MkII in SS with 7+in barrel. It's not even close.
Is that the "slab side" or the Government model?

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Is that the "slab side" or the Government model?
It's not the slab sided but I don't recall it being referred to as the Government Model.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
35 years ago my wife came with a Ruger MK1. She has had it since '79. It's probably the best shooter we own! We also have a Buckmark, and a SR22. I would be happy with any of the three, but like the Ruger best. I recently bought a Ruger Standard with a short barrel. I haven't shot it yet, its missing some parts and needs to be refinished. But I have no doubt it will fit right in. DR

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
It's not the slab sided but I don't recall it being referred to as the Government Model.
I believe Ruger made the Government Target Model under contract to the US military for training purposes, then listed the model in their catalog for a few years. The receiver is stamped with the name, as seen here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/835655848 Barrel on this model is 6-7/8".

·
Registered
3 Posts
What is your favorite, most reliable .22 LR pistol.

I've owned the SR22 since shortly after it was introduced into the marketplace.

Have never had any problem with it. Reliability problems can often be the fault of the ammunition one chooses to use ...

Another cause can be how well the weapon is maintained.

I use the SR22 as my alternate CCW when I don't want to lug around my GLOCK 26.

I also use hollow point Winchester ammo.

What is your favorite, most reliable .22 LR pistol. I've been thinking about adding the Ruger SR22 to my collection, but have heard of some reliability issues.

It will only be used for a cheap plinking range toy so I guess reliability isn't such a huge thing.

What is your favorite .22 plinker?

Reactions: jstert

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love my Ruger MKIII bull barrel Target Model. Also love my SP101 22LR.

If we're throwing in rifles too, hard to beat a 10/22.
Hey! Git outa my head. My Ruger MKIII bull barrel Target Model has a three inch barrel and I use it for Rimfire Steel Challenge fun in addition to plinking. After more than 50 years of jonesing for a 10/22 I bought one this year. I still have the Remingotn bolt action I bought when I was 14 years old, about 8 weeks before the Kennedy assassination.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have shot a fair majority of the semi-auto .22's currently out there. Some I was less than impressed with and others I liked enough to want to put cash toward them. The top four I have been most impressed with are as follows (not in order of importance):

Ruger Mark Series (II, III)

Ruger SR-22

Smith and Wesson M&P 22 full size

Browning Buckmark

Yes it is true that the Ruger SR-22 does have an issue or two. Currently the issue I experience is it will fail to pick up the next round in the magazine during shooting. I have only experienced this with cheap bulk ammo. CCI mini mags have been flawless. I have also had this experience with the Ruger Mark series guns. My guess is that the powder charge has more variance in the cheaper ammo and some rounds don't have enough oomph to push the slide back far enough. This happened with properly maintenanced guns with proper lube. The Mark series even has the upgraded performance extractor installed. I believe it says more about the ammo than the actual guns.

Ruger Mark II and III. In the end they ended up being nice guns. They took some tinkering to make them more reliable/enjoyable to shoot. I am a tinkerer and bought these knowing full well that they would be project guns. The Mark III required more modification than the Mark II. The Mark II has a better trigger out of the box than the Mark III. I took a stock Mark III 22/45 and did a complete custom job on it to make it exactly what I was looking for in a target pistol. It ended up being a $700+ gun when all was said and done. This was completely a matter of preference and because I like to tinker. The gun didn't require that to run right. For the Mark series guns I would recommend doing a magazine tuning (look at Rimfire Central forum for how to) and a Volquartsen exact edge performance extractor upgrade. Other than that they are good to go with some lube.

The M&P22 I was very impressed by. Aside from than the Buckmark, the M&P 22 had the best trigger out of the box. It was also very easy to shoot and felt very ergonomic in the hand. The only reason I sold mine was due to the fact that I didn't like how the side finish wouldn't hold up in the ultrasonic cleaner with repeated cleanings. Otherwise I would still have it and do regret selling it.

Browning Buckmark. What can I say that hasn't already been said about it? It is a solid gun and a very decent place to start. If you want a shooter right out of the box with no modifications required, this is it. Just make sure not to tighten the rear top strap screw too tight or you can cause malfunctions by adding friction to the top of the bolt. I would put a dab of loctite on that screw and just turn it until it is snug.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hard to choose ....

I have two: A Ruger MK II with 5.5" bull barrel and custom wooden grips. Better shooter than I am. Also have a Browning Buckmark, Ecliops SS, with black laminated grips, green fiber optic front sight, and polished stainless, slab sided bull barrel. Also a better shooter than I am.

I still covet several other handguns, as well as a couple of rifles (covet, don't need). But I've had both these .22 pistols since 1978 (Ruger), and 2009 (Browning), and either one would will do anything I ask of it with ease. Can't recall even a misfire with either one. Only gripe is with the Mark II for teardown and re-assembly.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
My son has a MKII that has been a great pistol for well over 20 years and the two of us have had a lot of fun shooting it. It would be my favorite .22 pistol if I didn't like my Ruger Single Six so much (regular .22 cylinder and .22 mag cylinder). The Ruger 10/22 is my favorite .22 rifle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have two cheap pot-metal guns for 22 plinking: my Phoenix Arms HP-22A semiautomatic, and my Heritage Arms Smallbore SAA replica revolver with both 22lr/22mag cylinders. Each gun was less than $150 and they are reliable and accurate. Over a thousand rounds through each. If you just want a plinker and don't want to spend a lot, these are worth a look.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ruger SR22 Owner

I've owned a Ruger SR22 for about 4 years now and have had no reliability issues except when it was extremely dirty, then I would have several FTF issues at the range. Kept clean it operated faultlessly. I am very pleased with the operation and accuracy. Very fun to shoot and it doesn't cost a fortune. I use 40 gr. CCI maxi-mags.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Favorite semi-auto .22LR is a Daewoo (South Korean copy of the Walther PPK). Excellent quality and reliability (with any ammo I have tried), reasonably accurate to 50 feet (the max at my indoor range). Purchased it new for under $100 about 30 years ago. Haven't seen another one since (although I have seen other Daewoo models).

For fishing and hunting trips I always have my old S&W Model 34 (J-frame, round butt, 2" barrel, adjustable sights) .22 revolver in my vest pocket, along with a box of .22LR ammo in another pocket. I have taken more cottontails, snowshoe hares, and grouse for the dinner pot with that little revolver than I can remember. I know that I would never starve to death in the woods!

21 - 40 of 68 Posts