Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,305 Posts
I've owned a Ruger SR22 for about 4 years now and have had no reliability issues except when it was extremely dirty, then I would have several FTF issues at the range. Kept clean it operated faultlessly. I am very pleased with the operation and accuracy. Very fun to shoot and it doesn't cost a fortune. I use 40 gr. CCI maxi-mags.
As long as you stick with ammo your gun "likes." you're at an advantage. However, .22 ammo in general is dirty, so keep your chamber clean. Fouling in the bore is less of an impediment to accuracy than a crudded-up chamber is to reliability. Every couple of hundred rounds, give your chamber a good scrub with a brush and solvent, followed with clean patches.

·
Super Moderator
18,339 Posts
Years ago I came perilously close to purchasing a Browning Buckmark.

While we're at it, a Ruger Mark ... would do well for a whole lot of .22 pistol shooting chores. I've cozied up to a few of those, getting close to purchasing, but never have quite gone there.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had a Walther P22, Buckmark and SR22 and the Buckmark is my favorite. It's been around for a while and the other two were nice, but the Buckmark (late '90's Camper model) feels more solid and well rounded plus it's just easier to shoot more accurately.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks for all the replies. I think I've decided to take a chance on Taurus and get a TX22. They have had great reviews.

I really wanted to get the Ruger, but then I remembered that the last 3 Ruger pistols I bought were jammomatics. I don't know what happened to their QC, but it's MIA.

Thankfully their CS is top notch. It's just a dang shame that I had to waste my time and effort sending them back to get them running like they should have been from the get go.

On the positive side, I do love their revolvers.

I'll be sure to give my review of the TX22 after I've gotten a thousand or two rounds through it.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have a 1961 colt huntsman dad bought to teach me to shoot with at 6 years of age and its been dependable as it can be . Today I have a DW 22lr revolver that a fine shooter too and a 6" ruger heavy barrel mk3 then went home soon after buying for reliability issues and now has a valquartsen trigger kit in it but its not nearly the shooter that old colt is or as accurate and with a still stock 2lb trigger that makes a well tuned 1911 envious . No interest in others .

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I use to have one favorite 22 pistol, Ruger MKII. I now have two favorites . Added to my MKII is my Taurus TX 22, I don't go to the range without these guns in my range bag. Both are a great way to end a trip to the range.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I have a Ruger 22/45.. Exceptional accuracy, and eats most anything, and is a joy to operate.. So smooth.. However, I will NEVER open it up again.. It will get turned upside down, and sprayed out.
Also have a Ruger SR 22.. Its pretty nice, but I really wish I had gotten the M&P .22 instead. Quite accurate gun, easy to operate as well, but I still wish I had bought the M&P .

Have a tiny little North American Arms single action 5 shot .22LR/.22 Mag.. Its made like a piece of exquisite jewelry. I can't hit anything with it unless I am maybe 5 feet away.. At most... Its REALLY small.. cute as hell though!

and like everyone else I have a plain old $200 wood Ruger 10/22 .. simple and so reliable and accurate, with ANY ammo, that in my opinion its THE best value out of any .22 rifle ever made by anyone, and that still holds true in the modern age.. That little rifle is a joy to own and shoot..

A few months ago I was just about to add to my small .22 collection. I spotted a cute little mint condition Jennings .22 with original box for $125, Could have had it for $100.. Told the store owner I needed to research the gun a bit and I would be back later that afternoon, or the next day... Read horror story after horror story about horrid quality, firing pins that break if you dry fire the gun, and the fact that they invariably fired when dropped, even with the safety on, and that it was recommended to NEVER carry this gun with a round chambered.. er umm no thanks, I will keep my .22 collection as is for now.... bob

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I got a nice Beretta 21A at Scheels this last week for $65. I didn’t expect much, but I can shoot it really well.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've had a couple Ruger Marks over the years, currently have a MKIV, had a 22/45 once and didn't like it at all. Also had a Buckmark hunter with the 7.25 in barrel and never could get used to the barrel length. Recently bought a Buckmark Medallion that is fairly new to the Buckmark line up and after doing a little work on it I think it is the best .22 target pistol I've ever owned.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Ever completely forgotten about a gun you had?

I did...

A buddy customized a 10/22 a few years ago...dropped in some Volquartsen parts, slapped on a nice bull barrel...accurate little beast. But...he also customized the stock to fit him, and it never fit me at all...he sold it to me a while back, and I figured I’d replace the stock...but never did. So it sat in its case, in my closet...forgotten.

Until today; I was at my local fun shop, and spotted a bare stock sitting behind the counter...looked nice, asked what it was for...

It’s a Boyd’s (I think? Looks like one of theirs, and the laminate leads me to think it is) that someone had modified for an adjustable comb, but then they covered the laminate with what appears to be green bed liner. The price was right...and I suddenly remembered I had a 10/22 that needed a stock!

Now, I need to get to the range with it...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,990 Posts
My 2 favorite semi-auto .22's are both S&W M&P's. M&P 22 Compact and M&P 15-22. Both are very reliable even with crappy cheap bulk ammo which I have quite a bit of! (Thanks to the ammo shortage several years ago!) I have a Ruger 22/45 that is extremely accurate...but it tends to be very picky on what it eats!

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
302 Posts
My 2 favorite semi-auto .22's are both S&W M&P's. M&P 22 Compact and M&P 15-22. Both are very reliable even with crappy cheap bulk ammo
I have both those guns and they are indeed a lot of fun and not fussy about ammo. It would be real hard for me to pick one as my favorite over the other. When my son and I go to the range it's surprising how fast we run through a brick of ammo with those two.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
My favorite .22 semi-auto rifle is my old Remington Nylon 66, which I've had for 55 years

·
Super Moderator
18,339 Posts
Wanted an Apache Black Nylon 66 when I was a young teen. Really caught my eye. Thought about collecting Remington Nylon 66 rifles a few years back when I kept turning up the various color variations at the gun shows where I do overnight security. Never made a start though so still don't have one.

Mohawk brown, Seneca green, and Apache black. The Seneca green is suppose to be the most uncommon and that and one gun show exhibitor had two of 'em. I don't believe I'd ever seen one before. Both were under $300 too. Oh well, could 'a, should 'a, would 'a.

·
Super Moderator
18,339 Posts
I'm wondering what are the best old-time vintage semi-automatic .22 rifles out there that one could pick up. Two ".22 automatic" rifles live here, a Winchester Model 190 and a Ruger 10/22. Everybody knows the 10/22. The Winchester Model 190 is a sort of an underwhelming cheap-o design. What would be the best of the semi-automatic .22s from the age when materials and workmanship was king? Read that "blue steel and walnut."

I've had experience with others' Browning semi-automatic .22, Remington Models 24 and 241, and Winchester Models 03 and 63 but never owned one. Don't know a thing about the Winchester Models 74 and 77, Remington Model 550, or a Savage Model 6A.

Which ones are most trouble-free? Which one's are easy to disassemble to properly clean?

A really nice Winchester Model 77 with box magazine is for sale at my local gunsmith's, $225. Trim, modernistic and somehow intriguing, but Winchester did begin to field some cheapened designs that were fair turkeys by the mid 50s to early 60s.

·
Registered
126 Posts
make mine a ruger sr22: reliable, easy to fieldstrip, great customer service (if needed), handy. mine comes along long distance traveling and is a sometimes ccw.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts