Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Sweet Potatoes cut up and fried in a cast iron skillet with a brown sugar glaze....pure heaven!

·
Registered
33,918 Posts
Bourbon.

And pumpkin pie. Not necessarily in that order.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
The "side dish" I think that I will never forget was a big cold glass of milk after not having any for a long time.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I make a multi-nut-and-giblet, butter-and-parseley, herbed-bread stuffing.
I make it because it's my own favorite dish. Turkey be damned!
But sometimes I've made chestnut-and-sausage bread stuffing, and that's good too.
(In truth, neither end up inside the bird, so they're really dressing, rather than stuffing.)

Those go best with raw-cranberry-and-orange sauce, all ground up and sugared (but not cooked).

Let someone else wrestle with the turkey. I've got more important things to make.

Having been made to think about this, I have to bring up roasted, halved brussel-sprouts, with olive oil and crumbled bacon.
Also, yam casserole with apple slices, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar looms large in my legend.

To my great pleasure, one of my cousins is hosting Thanksgiving, this year, and I won't have to do anything but eat.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
1. Mom's chicken and dumplings
2. oyster stuffing
3. a real cranberry sauce (e.g, real cranberries, sugar and orange juice)
4. heavy whipped cream for pumpkin pie or other baked delicacies

·
Registered
300 Posts
My favorite quote about Thanksgiving:
"Thanksgiving is a typically American holiday. In spite of its religious form (giving thanks to God for a good harvest), its essential, secular meaning is a celebration of successful production. It is a producers’ holiday. The lavish meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the result and reward of production. Abundance is (or was and ought to be) America’s pride–just as it is the pride of American parents that their children need never know starvation" --Ayn Rand

·
Registered
33,918 Posts
I've put on 5 pounds just reading this thread.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I'm with the guys that prefer all the sides over the turkey. Oyster stuffing, cornbread and sausage stuffing, relish tray, hot soft rolls with sweet butter, skillet sweet potatoes with bacon and sorghum, salads, giblet gravy, grilled oysters, pickled shrimp, crab deviled eggs, mac and cheese, etc. I do not even have a beer because I don't want to waste the stomach space. Then it is on to sweet potato pie, pumpkin pie, and my favorite coconut cake. I would give up all the other desserts just to keep the coconut cake.

Later that night and the next day or so, the turkey becomes important to me. I love the turkey sandwiches. A tradition at my house is a Turkey and brie cheese club sandwich with cranberry mayo. So rich and delicious and the little bit of tang the cranberry really brings out the flavor.

Equally important is the turkey and sausage gumbo. That is what we do with the carcass after the meat has been removed, but it still has plenty of meat for a gumbo. I just through the carcass in a pot of water with the other stuff and set the temp to low before bed. If you have the roux ready, no effort at all to finish it in the morning.

·
Registered
33,918 Posts
Anything with oysters in it would go in the trash at my house. Cannot stand the taste.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I cant believe all you guys who like stuffing! I have no use for it. Cranberry sauce is my favorite and I absolutely adore pumpkin pie.

Reactions: MMinSC
1 - 20 of 49 Posts