Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking lately that I would like to get one of my M&Ps modified with some FDE (flat dark earth, a fancy tacticool name for tan) parts. I was at Cabela's recently and saw their exclusive model with the FDE frame and black parts, it looks pretty cool in person but I'm not going to buy a new gun for the color. Does anyone on here have an M&P that they have added FDE parts to?

I know they make a couple (Cabelas, VTAC) models with FDE frames and slides in the full size model, has anyone ever seen a FDE compact?

What about getting the slide cerakoted? I think my full size 40 would look good with a FDE slide, black frame, and FDE backstrap and mag release. Any recommendations for a source to have this done? Any idea of costs? I want it done well obviously but I don't want to spend hundreds either, this is a cosmetic "because it looks cool" thing, not a critical need.

CLARIFICATION (EDIT): I am talking about the M&P pistols not the rifles.

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Here's a photo of my FDE M&P full size.

Not sure if it's cerakote as it was a Cabela's dealer exclusive and no where is cerakote mentioned in the paperwork.

However, if I hadn't found that one at Cabela's, I would have had one done in FDE cerakote.

I was in a gunshop a friend of mine owns and he had two of his personal M&P's that he cerakoted in FDE. Since I was in the mood to buy an M&P I was considering having him do one for me. While I was comparison price shopping, I found the Cabela's FDE version and it was cheaper than buying a black M&P and having the cerakote done as an aftermarket application. So I went with the Cabela's.

He also has the new Trijicon HD night sights on both his guns. One in hi-viz yellow and the other with the hi-viz orange. I will definitely be adding Trijicon HD sights to both my M&P full size and my M&P Shield as soon as I get a chance.

Trijicon HD Sights

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Here's a photo of my FDE M&P full size.

Not sure if it's cerakote as it was a Cabela's dealer exclusive and no where is cerakote mentioned in the paperwork.

However, if I hadn't found that one at Cabela's, I would have had one done in FDE cerakote.

I was in a gunshop a friend of mine owns and he had two of his personal M&P's that he cerakoted in FDE. Since I was in the mood to buy an M&P I was considering having him do one for me. While I was comparison price shopping, I found the Cabela's FDE version and it was cheaper than buying a black M&P and having the cerakote done as an aftermarket application. So I went with the Cabela's.

He also has the new Trijicon HD night sights on both his guns. One in hi-viz yellow and the other with the hi-viz orange. I will definitely be adding Trijicon HD sights to both my M&P full size and my M&P Shield as soon as I get a chance.

Trijicon HD Sights

Nice looking pistol. Let me throw something out here. Good friend of mine has a M&P 40 compact and he chose the Ameriglo Pro I-Dot for it. Very similar to the Trijicon HD's but a little cheaper in price.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
I did, he's a top contender for it, looks like he does great work for a good price too. I'll post pics if/when I get it done. Right now I'm looking at getting my FS slide done in a tan/FDE, not sure which shade yet though but it won't be burnt bronze, that one is hideous.
In my experiences with him, he is very conservative on his turnaround estimates. The last project he did for me was estimated to take three weeks, and he had it turned in six days. His work for me has always been first-rate.

·
Banned
292 Posts
I did the same thing with a recent purchase of a kel-Tec PF-9. Wanted one in Coyote Tan, but they were selling for more than I wanted to spend, so I bought one and had a local gun shop (Broad River Gun Works) do a Cerakote finish on just the frame. Cost me $70, and that included a polishing of the feed ramp and fluff and buff for general improved shooting.
Did a great job, but didn't quite match the factory cerakote on the magazine extension. So for future reference, have anything and everything cerakoted at the same time! That way you guarantee a match!

012.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts