1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
2,289 Posts
I had no problems buying this from ammotogo last year and still have two boxes left after shooting up the rest in practice. I no longer have my Scandium Airlite snub nose so I know use .38 +P Short Barrel Gold Dots instead for better penetration.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I found 2 boxes of the ammunition about a year ago and have not found any since.......

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I appreciate that review. Very thorough and well presented. :hand10:

My wife and I both have SP-101's so recoil is managable with +P's, but I've always been interested in the old Nyclads.

Like you, I'd carry with them, if I had enough to maintain proficiency with and had an airweight frame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ljutic: Thanks for posting the review AND the time it took to plan, shoot, and document your findings.

I've shot NYCLAD loads since Smith & Wesson offered these back in the 80's. S&W's 125gr NYCLAD HP 38+P load was a great choice for 38/357 in light to medium frames. Recoil was very manageable and accuracy was better than "good-enough." I don't have my old test data for that load but remember that it chrono'd well. And into wet newspaper, it expanded well. The S&W 115gr NYCLAD HP 9mm load would occasionally FTF in a S&W 59 (lots of other loads did that too!), but always shot OK in my friend's Browning.

Seeing the differences in performance across bare gel and denim and leather combinations was very interesting - again thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
It's a good round, but Federal has discontinued it. Shame, it is my preferred carry round. Only three boxes left.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's a good round, but Federal has discontinued it. Shame, it is my preferred carry round. Only three boxes left.
Last I spoke to Federal in February they hadn't cancelled production - they just do one run a year and this year's was to take place in March this year. FWIW

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Last I spoke to Federal in February they hadn't cancelled production - they just do one run a year and this year's was to take place in March this year. FWIW
You state was does that mean they didn't do the run??

·
Registered
75 Posts
Is ATK/Federal Ammo. headed by Bi-Polar Leadership? They resurrect the Nyclad round from the dead, ostensibly to market demand & then decide to limit it's availabillity as a once a year production run that isn't meeting the demand? I dunno. I'm not the owner of a huge corporation, but seems kinda crazy to me.:confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
You state was does that mean they didn't do the run??
No, "was" just means I haven't spoken to them since February and I don't know if their plans changed. I might have changed if I'd been them - maybe extend 9mm production over a niche load like the 38 Special in these shortage days. I did see a 9mm Nyclad a couple of days ago on Gunbot... I doubt they've permanently cancelled it, though.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Speaking of 9mm NYCLAD, I picked this up last year when it was available at ATG just for testing. It appears to be factory reloaded stuff based on the ugly brass. I've never seen the Federal version.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts