Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my last visit to the gun shop i picked up a box of 50- 9mm Hydra Shocks,124gr...i wantd some Federal HST's but they didn't have any..are the hydra shocks still considered a respectable SD round? i know they've been around for a long time..

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
Nothing wrong with 'em..."You did well, Grasshopper.":yup:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yes they're "respected", they're a proven round, but the technology is old. There are better rounds out there hands down. If you want to keep it in the same brand, go with the Federal HST, theyre much better performers than the hydra shok.

I once asked the question, "why does federal still make hydra-shok when the HST is the next gen in technology and out performs hydra-shoks again and again?"

the answer was simple, "because people still buy hydra-shok"
as long as a company can make money, they will do what must be done.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes they're "respected", they're a proven round, but the technology is old. There are better rounds out there hands down. If you want to keep it in the same brand, go with the Federal HST, theyre much better performers than the hydra shok.

I once asked the question, "why does federal still make hydra-shok when the HST is the next gen in technology and out performs hydra-shoks again and again?"

the answer was simple, "because people still buy hydra-shok"
as long as a company can make money, they will do what must be done.
Jcabin, I believe that's one of the best replies I've read in quite a log time! Well spoken!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
didn't have much to choose from at the time.they only had 3 decent 9mm HP's

Hornady Critical Defense 115gr 9mm
Winchester SXT 124gr 9mm
Federal Hydra Shocks 124gr

that's about it for 9mm..

·
Registered
306 Posts
They are still considered good. However, there are much better available now with advancements in bonding, design for expansion, penetration, feed into the gun. Supposedly some of the rounds like the Winchester PDX or newer Rangers are capable of better penetration through glass, etc... and still expand or stay together where older Hydra-Shoks supposedly don't. Do several ballistic searches and you can find lots of data with lots of pictures. In the end, use what you feel comfortable and confident with. The bullet is only one part of the whole self-defense equation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts