Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been buying this stuff [ LOTS of it!]for a few reasons.. First its super cheap.. Under $19 for 100 rds..
Second it has performed beautifully in my Shield and my Sig P938.. The only other 9mm gun I have is a rifle, and I have not run the aluminum rounds through it as yet.

I have read recently however of these rounds coming apart, exploding in the chamber when the primer is struck, destroying guns, and one guy said his striker cam through the gun and hit him in the chest causing a minor injury... Just was wondering if any one else has heard these horror stories.. I have been stockpiling this and Perfecta as it runs great through my guns, NEVER a single issue, and I can afford it.. actually around here, the Federal Champion is cheaper than the italian made Perfecta, although Perfecta does have brass casing..
Am I worrying needlessly?.. Anyone else having good luck [so far] with the aluminum case Federal rounds?...

Also do they make the Federal in .380?.. I have never seen that caliber in aluminum case.

We have used some of the Perfecta .380 in our Sig 238 and our LCP II, and it has worked VERY well, and is like $6 a box cheaper than anything else out there.
Really interested in comments on the Federal Champion .. Some of the stuff I read online about it scared the crap out of me... bob

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I've never had any catastrophic failures of any kind. I've just never owned a gun that liked them, and most of them hated it. I'm no ammo guru, so I could not possibly tell you why. My guns just seem to look at me like "Who're you kiddin?" and proceed to jam up.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Only gun I've tried it in was my PC9 carbine. Worked well for the first twenty rounds or so until the extractor tore through the rim on one. The next round jammed behind the one in the chamber. Had to use a cleaning rod to get the case out of the chamber.
The case mouth looked like it had been roll crimped without a bullet.

My Nephew said he'd try them, so I gave him what I had left. Decided that the little extra money for good brass ammo was worth it.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I have run about 400 or so rounds mostly through my Shield and some through my Glock 19 and Stag Arms 9mm AR with zero problems. FWIW, I won't keep a firearm long if it is a "picky" eater!:image035:

Reactions: GpTom

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I've run it through my G26, sr9, and the wife's shield. I've never had a problem with it or any other aluminum cased ammo. For range work I regard the aluminum stuff just as well as brass. If I reloaded 9mm I might pay a little more for brass cased, but I don't so I'll spring for any of the aluminum cased stuff over the brass if it's cheaper.

·
Registered
14,189 Posts
Will not buy it. Had several 45's very loose in the case, my Glock will not reliably extract it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, mixed reviews,,, I might just keep what I have and just continue to buy brass case range ammo.. As others have said, my guns cycle it beautifully, never an issue, but other guys have had some real headaches.. Probably back off buying it .. I think I have maybe 600 rounds of it, and thats about as far as I go.. thanks for the replies..bob

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have run about 400 or so rounds mostly through my Shield and some through my Glock 19 and Stag Arms 9mm AR with zero problems. FWIW, I won't keep a firearm long if it is a "picky" eater!:image035:

Understood.. I hate picky eaters as well,, I had a Walther P22 that refused to function with any ammo unless it was the highest grade super velocity made is USA, plated in gold stuff that no one can afford.. Sold it to my kid for peanuts.... bob

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Understood.. I hate picky eaters as well,, I had a Walther P22 that refused to function with any ammo unless it was the highest grade super velocity made is USA, plated in gold stuff that no one can afford.. Sold it to my kid for peanuts.... bob
I also had a P-22 that was extremely picky on ammo. I replaced it with a M&P Compact 22 that eats bulk .22 ammo like a fat kid eating Skittles!

Reactions: GpTom

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I've shot Federal aluminum north of a thousand rounds through my pistols and have never had a single failure. Both in 9mm and 45 auto. XD9 subcompact, FNS 9 compact and Glock 21.

It's my preferred range ammo. I don't feel like federal would produce an ammo that was susceptible to blowing apart and destroying guns and hurting people, but things do happen.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Don't shoot much factory ammo but what I have shot caused no problems. There are two main reasons for a gun to be destroyed, obstructed bore or over- pressure load.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I bought 200 rounds last summer. Ran ok but found a round with the primer installed backward.

I emailed Federal with the box information. Their response was to mail the defective round in. They sent me a check for $10.

I'm not against using it, just haven't used it since. Mainly because I haven't searched it out. Seems to only be carried at Wal-Mart near me and they are kind of scary to visit.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I also had a P-22 that was extremely picky on ammo. I replaced it with a M&P Compact 22 that eats bulk .22 ammo like a fat kid eating Skittles!
I don't usually give two likes on the same article but you guys were on roll. Had a hard time figuring out if you were talking about ammo or just fat kids.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Great ammo for the range. Only downside for some folks is, you can't reload it. I don't reload so that is not an issue with me. I haven't had any issues with it feeding in any of my guns that I can recall.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Have used 9mm. Federal and Indep. alum for years in M&P's with no problems. Probably 50K rounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts